• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

DirtyFrenchy

Did a quick search and couldn't find any previous post so here it is:

I finally landed a position as HD mechanic apprentice, was wondering if you seasoned and not so seasoned vets out there had some tips on the trade? Working in cold weather? Making my journeyman's life easier? Things you wish you would have known back when you started?

I've been working in the mining industry the past few years so I have a good idea on safety and the basics like showing up early, ready to work, etc. Looking more for info on the wrenching life.
The apprenticeship is with Finning/Thingbig and I'll be going to a few dealerships throughout western Canada.

On a semi related topic, I'm thinking of buying a travel trailer to live in for a while since I'll be relocating more or less every 2 months. I've seen HEO and others have done this. How is it? Anyone done through the Canadian winters?

Thank you

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
You could invest is an old school bus, section it off for a bedroom,, if your staying in a campground, they'll have showers. Then you'll have plenty of room for tools & whatnots..
OR check the LOCAL campgrounds for travel trailers for sale.. there are no less than 5 for sale close to me for around 5k..31 footers!! & the sweet thing about them is> they never went anywhere.. bought, taken to the camp & set-up & stayed.. frig, stove, microwave, shower, toilet, bed heat/a/c, outside awnings, electric hook-ups & battery power, propane tanks... on & on..
You CANT buy a bus & convert it for that..

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
How many campgrounds are open in the winter in the Yukon? How many trailers are usable with water in them conditions? Personally I think you would be better of renting a room in a private home or an attached mini apartment. My brother lived in Alaska for 25 years, never bought a home, and lived rent free each winter as caretaker/watch dog in snowbirds homes when they went south for the winter. Once he did it for the first family and gave it back clean, he had people asking him if he would stay at their homes. Just something to think about.

Randy88

The house sitting would be ideal if you can manage it, nothing compares to free rent and no upkeep, better than winning the lottery in many aspects, no taxes of any sort to even have to pay with housesitting and I'd doubt you even have to pay for heating it if you took good care of the house. Any home owner would jump at the chance to find a good person to live in and take care of their house when they were away, thinking the homeowner would even get an insurance break if someone was living in the house year round.

I thought I read Alaska somewhere in this thread....................and to me that translates into butt cold with snow in the winter, anyone can correct if I'm wrong on this idea, but who in the world wants to sleep in a bus or camper in a blizzard or snow storm...................unless she's absolutely drop dead gorgeous and extremely willing and then it would only be short term accommodations, not all winter long.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
First of congrats on getting an apprenticeship!

I wouldn't recommend a 5th wheel for winter living. I did it for several winters and unless you set it up for it (ie skirt and insulate under the trailer and install a furnace to heat under the trailer), it will suck. Anything colder than -37C the propane will not give off enough vapour to supply the furnace(s). Even running 3 or 4 space heaters won't keep up.

Finning is a good company. I really have no legitimate complaints about working for them. They are very strict on safety (the strictest company I've been with so far anyways). Keep yourself out of trouble, follow the rules and do your job safely and nobody will likely bother you.

StanRUS

New Member, located in Yukon...thinking of buying travel trailer?
Trolling HEF ???

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
That guy WALKS to much.. why no snow machine behind the service truck??
& it doesn't show him working in a Blizzard at -45* w/ his face covered & only his eyes showing.. how about his "gloves"??
The sun is shining & the roads are bare.. Gotta be a promo video.. {all BS if you ask me}
You guys ever seen Ice Road Truckers?? ya see that poor guy at the garage in town?? With everyone screamin at him?? THATS what ya gotta look forward to..

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
The house sitting would be ideal if you can manage it, nothing compares to free rent and no upkeep, better than winning the lottery in many aspects, no taxes of any sort to even have to pay with housesitting and I'd doubt you even have to pay for heating it if you took good care of the house. Any home owner would jump at the chance to find a good person to live in and take care of their house when they were away, thinking the homeowner would even get an insurance break if someone was living in the house year round.

I thought I read Alaska somewhere in this thread....................and to me that translates into butt cold with snow in the winter, anyone can correct if I'm wrong on this idea, but who in the world wants to sleep in a bus or camper in a blizzard or snow storm...................unless she's absolutely drop dead gorgeous and extremely willing and then it would only be short term accommodations, not all winter long.

My brother never furnished anything but his own bedding and food. One year he baby sat a 95 lb potbelly pig that did not get his shots in time to fly south. That's a whole story story in itself.

DirtyFrenchy

The house sitting isn't a bad idea. Only kicker is every two months having to find a new house to housesit in a different town since that's how the first 20 months go with Thinkbig. I was thinking travel trailer for the convenience of relocating and wasn't gonna put water in it for the winter. Just shower at the gym/school. Not ideal but trying to afford school and keep the house back home.

DirtyFrenchy

First of congrats on getting an apprenticeship!

I wouldn't recommend a 5th wheel for winter living. I did it for several winters and unless you set it up for it (ie skirt and insulate under the trailer and install a furnace to heat under the trailer), it will suck. Anything colder than -37C the propane will not give off enough vapour to supply the furnace(s). Even running 3 or 4 space heaters won't keep up.

Finning is a good company. I really have no legitimate complaints about working for them. They are very strict on safety (the strictest company I've been with so far anyways). Keep yourself out of trouble, follow the rules and do your job safely and nobody will likely bother you.

Thanks man! Duly noted on the safety part. And alright maybe I'll have to rethink the trailer..

DirtyFrenchy

That guy WALKS to much.. why no snow machine behind the service truck??
& it doesn't show him working in a Blizzard at -45* w/ his face covered & only his eyes showing.. how about his "gloves"??
The sun is shining & the roads are bare.. Gotta be a promo video.. {all BS if you ask me}
You guys ever seen Ice Road Truckers?? ya see that poor guy at the garage in town?? With everyone screamin at him?? THATS what ya gotta look forward to..

That show is a joke. They act like it takes balls to be the first one the ice, yet the thickness is checked a douzain times by engineers with fancy radars and the whole thing is extremely regulated. Ie. max speed, only night driving at the end of the season, etc, etc.

Ct Farmer

There are a few true 4-season rv units out there but they are not cheap and even then require some enhancements to be usable in what you are looking at. Check the RV forums for lots of info.

As for pushings wrenches for a living. I worked a traveling service tech for 10 years (not heavy equipment) doing jobs around North America. I quickly learned one thing, buy my own tools, never loan them out and never borrow any. I bought what suited my needs not what someone told me I needed to carry. Your tools are your meal ticket so treat them as such. Keep them clean, neat and easy to access. We charged $95 an hour for my time including travel, plus all expenses, so the customer quickly got 4 figure bills for the smallest things. Look, work and act professional. You want return service calls and to be the go to guy.

As questions, you are learning after all. I never minded a trainee who asked questions before making the big screw up. Do things the way your employer wants them done. Even when you think you know better. In time you will earn the right to question things or do it your way.

The most humbling thing I ever learned was on one of my first solo service calls to a very high profile client in Boston. Needs to be up in an hour. I looked at the problem and determined it was with a unit I'd never worked on. Was always done by a senior tech. I called my mentor. He told me, "You are there, nobody is coming, you need to fix it." Sinking feeling in guts. Client waiting. Well, I did what I thought was right and started it up hoping I didn't blow 200k in electronics across the room. All was well. But I learned, someday you will be on your own. You will need the tools in your hand and the smarts in your brain. Everything else is gravy.

As for working in the cold. Buy 2 pair of the best boots you can find. Keep the spare with you. A cheap tarp wrapped around a machine with a small blast heater will keep you working all day. Pulled a final drive from our excavtor at -3F last winter and stayed plenty warm. I know that isn,t coldby Yukon standards but you get the idea. Sheet of plywood on the ground. Keep plenty of gloves.

Good luck.

Old Doug

I lived in a 5th wheel for 4 years it was bad because it was old and most are not made to live in day after day. But the good part i gave $ 1000.00 for it save my money and bought a house. One thing i did was replace the heater but then the windows sweted bad.Some pointer starting out pray you get to work with a good guy treat him right pay your dues clean part tools do the dirty work. Winter weather buy lots of good gear to wear.

Numbfingers

Occupation
mechanic
Baffin boots, parachute, and a heater. Two pair of gloves, thick and thin. You'll burn a ridiculous amount of propane trying to heat a camper here in the winter. Tourism slows in winter, deals for lodging can be made.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
In addition to all the great advice make yourself a small "medicine cabinet" to augment the first aid kit in the truck or wherever it is. In Oklahoma our allergies are usually bad so I have stuff for that but in addition I have saline nasal spray, an eye wash spray, regular eye drops, some sort of antacid, the anti-inflammatory you prefer. Stuff you're used to taking for various issues and also stuff to help when $hit happens like baby wipes for the inevitable field shower you'll have to take ;-). They're easier on the skin than the gritty hand wipes. I also use a lot of gold bond powder in the summer as I don't want swamp ass :cool:

I've always got several changes of clothes, several pairs of shoes and boots, hats, gloves, basically think about worst case scenario in regards to an event and time in the field and plan accordingly. I also carry lots of water and food. We don't work out in the bush like you might but we do get stuck out somewhat remote on bridges where it's a fair piece to town. You get the idea I'm sure.

DirtyFrenchy

Thanks for all the input guys, I appreciate it. Pumped to start.

I've currently maxed out my tool box at home, I don't suppose one can ever buy a big enough tool box? Was thinking of upgrading to a 10 drawer 55" from husky...

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Depending on space sometimes a couple smaller ones are easier than a giant one you can hardly move. I have three or four in my shop and tools are organized by their use. One is sleeve puller, compression tester, injector sleeve installer and other engine related stuff. Another is all drilling and grinding stuff. My largest snapon is handtools and general stuff. It's almost too big and heavy to move around sometimes.

The service truck is a toolbox on wheels, I went from 11' to 14' body and it's still not enough! I'm starting to build my own truck and it'll end up close to 20' when it's done.....

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
Go big or go home I say. By the time I was in my 3rd year I maxed out my 48" wide top and bottom box. Upgraded to a big Mac box and had that filled 2 years later lol. I'm in the field now so the box sits in the storage area at the shop with some of the unique and oddball stuff I don't use often. Biggest thing that sucks about this trade is you may as well buy two of everything because you'll need tools at home to fix your cars and toys lol.

DirtyFrenchy

Depending on space sometimes a couple smaller ones are easier than a giant one you can hardly move. I have three or four in my shop and tools are organized by their use. One is sleeve puller, compression tester, injector sleeve installer and other engine related stuff. Another is all drilling and grinding stuff. My largest snapon is handtools and general stuff. It's almost too big and heavy to move around sometimes.

The service truck is a toolbox on wheels, I went from 11' to 14' body and it's still not enough! I'm starting to build my own truck and it'll end up close to 20' when it's done.....

I'm not quite there but that sounds like a good way to go about it. Freaking things are expensive. Not a lot of em going on kijiji/craigslist in this neck of woods sadly.

Ct Farmer

Being a toolaholic I agree with go big or go home. Of course wanting to be sure, I go big, small and everythng in between. We have had good luck buying industrial Vidmar type cabinets and using them for tools etc. Usually $300 - $400. They come with great dividers. Lyon brand is best by IMHO. The weight they take per drawer is awesome. One in the machine shop has 2 drawers with maybe 3000 endmills in each. In the repair shop we have one divided up for sockets, one drawer per drive size. 2 on larger sizes.

We have found that in shop locations we like several smaller boxes compared to one huge one. Keeps basic things close at hand. Saves walking and searching time.

When I didfield service work I kept smaller boxes in the truck/van but carried a basic backpack type tool bag for initial work and many repairs. Not cheap but it was easier than carrying a box when I couldn't park close by. You can really get a lot in those things. All divided nicely. Still keep one now on our field truck. Use it nearly every day as most of our equipment is "well seasoned" and somewhat tired.