• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Starting 299d2 after fuel/water separator repkacement

ColdBlackWind

I am out in the field and tried to search forums. Don’t see this. Machine throwing fuel leakage code. Canister fuel filter and separator element were filthy. Changed them. Can’t get fuel to prime the system. Should lift pump pulse constantly when key switch is on but engine not running? I am thinking it pulses for 30 seconds?

Last edited:

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
From the O&M Manual........

Ensure that the key start switch is in the OFF position.
Turn the engine start switch to the ON position.
Note: Do not start the engine. Turning the key start switch to the ON position only starts the fuel pump. The pump will run for approximately 30 seconds.

ColdBlackWind

Got back to the shop. Got my Fluke. I can’t get 12 volts at the plug for the pump. Checked fuse. It is good. Swapped relay with adjacent position. Still no pulse.

ColdBlackWind

Again. Out in the field and running back and forth to shop. Suspected I might not be making contact with Fluke probes on the female deutsch connector. Stuck two male contact pins in plug and checked voltage again. I have 12 v. Question. Would this thing have ran without lift pump if system was full of fuel? I have never heard that pulse sound since owning the machine that I can recall.

ColdBlackWind

Fashioned up a harness for the pump. Put 12v power to it and it growls but no pulse. If the machine will run with a full fuel system without the lift pump I guess I have found the problem.

ColdBlackWind

Thank you. Looks like a lowly bulb would have sufficed!! In all seriousness. With the looks of my pre filter I am thinking an easily replaceable inline filter and a bulb will be my next move if the new replacement pump goes out any time soon. With a bulb you can at least prime it up and move until canister runs dry.

Last edited:

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Remember when maintenance personnel always used to bitch about having to pump the handle of a priming pump for "soooo long" to prime the system after changing fuel filters..?

"As ye sow, so shall ye reap" - Enter stage left the electric priming pump........

ColdBlackWind

Remember when maintenance personnel always used to bitch about having to pump the handle of a priming pump for "soooo long" to prime the system after changing fuel filters..?

"As ye sow, so shall ye reap" - Enter stage left the electric priming pump........
This old country boy would take a better filter and a bulb right now. Nige, thank you for your feedback. Much appreciated.

ColdBlackWind

Yes sir. Just in it to win it. 2018 model. 2432 hours. I have worked on it 3x the number of hours I have ran it.

Attachments

• 7160B179-743A-4C5D-A53F-74D14117D3E1.jpeg
    7160B179-743A-4C5D-A53F-74D14117D3E1.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 6
  • 1EE0D965-4762-4968-94F4-DEF11286494F.jpeg
    1EE0D965-4762-4968-94F4-DEF11286494F.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 6

ColdBlackWind

I always like to follow up after asking for help. I replaced the lift pump and all seems to be well. I have not used the machine for an extended period yet. That is when I was getting the fuel leak alert before I changed filters and replaced the lift pump. I don’t think the lift pump has ever been operational since owning the machine. A couple of notes. Upon starting I noticed the fuel/water separator never fills completely up. I just get a waterfall type flow in the canister. Second, after a short period of operation the pre-filter ahead of the lift pump already looks dirty. The fuel tank must have a good amount of crud in it.