• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Starter Question

Mike Axe

Hello everybody, nice to meet you all.
I recently purchased a 1969 Ford 4500 backhoe. After a new carb and tuning, it runs like a champ. I have one last thing to do and that is replace the starter. This is a 3 cyl gas model and the starter clicks when you turn the key. You can do this three or four times and it will finally turn over. I replaced all associated parts except the starter. My question is simple, what started do I need? I can't believe I need to spend over $100.00 for a ford starter that I can get at the local parts store but maybe I am wrong. All the starters I find have a solenoid on them and my started does not.

Any guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Mike

Bertrrr

Occupation
mechanic
May only be your solenoid , if you pull it off the machine , hook up your negative Jumper cable to the starter housing and touch the positive onto the post on the starter where the cable goes, if it kicks over and spins, it's a bad solenoid , brace it good because if it does spin , it will Jump big time.

Mike Axe

I replaced the solenoid because it was old. The only thing left is the starter. It has been out in the weather sitting for many years not ran

Bertrrr

Occupation
mechanic
I had to repair the starter on my case 580 , wasn't comfortable ordering one and taking the chance it wouldn't fit , was nearly 300$ for the repair though , if you buy one be sure the teeth on the Bendix gear match up and the rotation is correct. good luck

Mike Axe

That is what I am trying to do. I would think I could get a new one at the auto parts store but I need the model or part number for it. they will not match it. Maybe I can rebuild it myself. Thank you for your responses.

Delmer

If it does turn over fine once it decides to, then I'd pull that sucker apart and free up the brushes, and clean the commutator.

To find a new one, search online by the model, engine model, comparable gas engine tractor model, etc until you're confident you know what you're getting. I wouldn't be surprised if the guts from most other non solenoid Ford starters would fit your nose piece if you have access to any.

Mike Axe

I think that is what I'll do. I have been in other starters with good results. What do I have to loose. The pictures are as I found it and now at my home in the garage working on itIMG_8013.JPG IMG_8014.JPG IMG_8221.JPG

rickw

We pulled ours off and took it to a local starter /alternator repair/rebuild shop. That seem to be the best way on this older equipment. If it is to bad to rebuild they have the knowledge to get you a replacement. i had the starter rebuilt on our old IH tractor, Case CK 580 hoe and alternator done on our 580 Super L. hoe. The older stuff was built good enough and was designer to be rebuilt. Not like the throw away stuff they make today.

Mike Axe

Hello again, Here is some of my research finding for anyone who needs a starter in the future. This starter crosses to a D7NN11001A Ford number. New Holland carries it and most auto parts carry it for around $82.00. It is a 3 bolt hole pattern with a 10 tooth Direct drive unit. I took my starter apart and cleaned the brushes, rotor and Stator and all other connections. It appears to be working just fine but I will get a new one and put this used one on the shelf as a spare. The number on the case was C7AF-11001-B BUT BE CAREFUL! That number is for a car and it only has nine teeth. This unit has a different nose cone and Bendix.

Mike