• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Sprocket ware

Helirich

I’m wondering if this sprocket is shot?

IMG_1342.jpeg

Here is a pic of the other one for comparison.

IMG_1343.jpeg

Is this something that I should be worried about or just keep an eye on?

Mike85

It looks wore out, also looks loose on the housing. It doesn’t have any dirt packed into the seam between the sprocket and the case. I’d be looking for one if it were mine it’s got what looks like one bolt broke off.

stourpaine

Occupation
Retired mechanic
if you can replace it and get out+ replace the broken bolts .but if you cant do it at this time watch the track tension and operate with some care it will likely run a bit longer

Helirich

Swap over? Do you mean flip over or swap to the other track?

Mine was a rental, so I assume all operators were novice. (I certainly am)

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
If this was a machine I made a living with I'd be budgeting to replace them sooner than later. If this is just an acreage machine that gets used a couple hours a month I would just run it until it starts slipping.

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired

Swap from side to side. No point in throwing out part worn parts, run them to total destruction.

Tugger2

Heres how a set of steel tracks on a 303.5 Cat look when they are on the road to total destruction. I weld the odd crack up in the links and keep em going. The machine only works around home now .PB112913.JPG

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired

Swap from side to side. No point in throwing out part worn parts, run them to total destruction.

Helirich

So the Bobcat service manual has zero advice when to change the sprocket. I checked out the missing bolt. It was not broke off. There was another bolt loose, but the sprocket was tight. I put two new bolts in. I’m probubly going to order one (or two) to keep on hand. This is a personal machine, so I don’t need to worry about making a living if it goes down.