• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Spring/summer works

20/80

Occupation
operator

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
Crazy hot weather for the first of June. Frost warnings in the mornings, and well into the 90s in the afternoon. Lots of fires your way 20/80. Hope this thunder storm doesn't start anything. Super dry in the woods

Welder Dave

We were crazy hot in Alberta in May with multiple wildfires. Finally got some decent rain but not everywhere. I had a big fire go through my property in 2010 so glad I got rain to lessen the risk.

20/80

Occupation
operator
Crazy hot weather for the first of June. Frost warnings in the mornings, and well into the 90s in the afternoon. Lots of fires your way 20/80. Hope this thunder storm doesn't start anything. Super dry in the woods
Man its dry, the Dept pulled us off the roads till it rains, there are to huge fires happening here in NS, western district, and central district, both are out of control, nothing in my area the eastern district as of yet, but give it time some fool will start something, rain in the forecast for the next few days which is welcomed, but just before these fires started here we received 2" of rain, didn't take long to dry up, very early for it being this dry, by August it will be crazy hot and dry.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
Man its dry, the Dept pulled us off the roads till it rains, there are to huge fires happening here in NS, western district, and central district, both are out of control, nothing in my area the eastern district as of yet, but give it time some fool will start something, rain in the forecast for the next few days which is welcomed, but just before these fires started here we received 2" of rain, didn't take long to dry up, very early for it being this dry, by August it will be crazy hot and dry.
My area was the hottest in Canada according to the weather channel. Today it went down to 8 (46). Been raining on and off all afternoon. Got shut down early. Broke my new Mauldin yesterday. Took my old one back for a while. Forgot how hot it is in the cab. Can't even touch the steel beside the seat. The valve banks are fastened to the bottom of it, and it gets really hot to touch. I wish I could have the power and traction of the new one, but the controls of the old one. Hate the single electronic joystick. Even the guys on the crew noticed how much happier I seemed running the old girl.

20/80

Occupation
operator
My machine has been working great, no complaints, you have to be careful cutting roads, the machine can pull a lot of material up when in 6 wheel drive at a time, starting to like the machine more and more all the time now, but I do find my hands get pins and needles a lot with the joysticks, I keep adjusting the arm and wrist rest to find the sweet spot, I stop more now to, seems to help with my knee's and get out and stretch my legs, these machines play hell on your hands and knee's over time, scratching up my roads now for dust control, rain coming in so will be back in action.

JaredV

Here's a little woods action for you guys. It's been unusually dry in western Washington with no rain to speak of in almost a month. I was able to get on dirt with no wet spots anywhere this week and finish some logging roads. I pushed two in with a JD 550G dozer and another was existing, just needed ironed out. Normally we do everything with a D6 but this job needed the grader anyway. Putting in ditches is way easier than with the dozer, plus I got to play with sloping the banks. These roads will not get rock as they will be logged this summer. Some before and after pics:

KIMG3375.JPG

KIMG3378.JPG

KIMG3382.JPG

KIMG3386.JPG

Last edited:

20/80

Occupation
operator
Here's a little woods action for you guys. It's been unusually dry in western Washington with no rain to speak of in almost a month. I was able to get on dirt with no wet spots anywhere this week and finish some logging roads. I pushed two in with a JD 550G dozer and another was existing, just needed ironed out. Normally we do everything with a D6 but this job needed the grader anyway. Putting in ditches is way easier than with the dozer, plus I got to play with sloping the banks. These roads will not get rock as they will be logged this summer. Some before and after pics:

View attachment 287459

View attachment 287460

View attachment 287463

View attachment 287464
Nice work, make the water run, doesn't look like alot of big rock in your material, more topsoil looking, thinking it would get a bit greasey if it rained, again great job, thanks for sharing

JaredV

Thanks! I pushed all the topsoil to the right side in the top pictures. This job has more than usual and though the road is on a side hill, it's piled up on the downhill side higher than the road.

Cat 140M AWD

Occupation
Motor grader operator
Started putting new gravel on the roads that I pulled shoulders on everything is working up really nice we’re putting 3 inches down so a 27 ton belly dump goes 70 feet so 75 loads a mile IMG_5846.jpegIMG_5848.jpegIMG_5846.jpeg

20/80

Occupation
operator

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
Might have lost my full sized grader job. Hired a new fella with some grader experience. I have been super busy with private driveway prep, so I suggested giving him a chance on the Volvo, doing some of my early season grading jobs. He seems to be doing ok. If he can fine grade for the up coming road work, I might never have to do a government road prep again, and to tell the truth, it wouldn't hurt my feelings one bit.

20/80

Occupation
operator
Might have lost my full sized grader job. Hired a new fella with some grader experience. I have been super busy with private driveway prep, so I suggested giving him a chance on the Volvo, doing some of my early season grading jobs. He seems to be doing ok. If he can fine grade for the up coming road work, I might never have to do a government road prep again, and to tell the truth, it wouldn't hurt my feelings one bit.
Hard to find a grader man these day's, the new gen operators need the GPS to function it seems, old school operators are slowly dying off, hope he works out for you.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
Hard to find a grader man these day's, the new gen operators need the GPS to function it seems, old school operators are slowly dying off, hope he works out for you.
Don't get me wrong, I still prefer the production sized grader over the little maintainer, but I find doing government work has changed so much. Most of these inspectors are still wet behind the ears. I have put down about 800 tonne of fresh off the milling machine, not screened rap, between yesterday and this morning with a maintainer, and not my new one. Old girl was working hard for her money. We are doing a road resurfacing for the city, and the engineering dept decided to cover two parking lots I can see from the job. Not real big junks, but junky enough. Miller broke this morning around 9. They got it going enough to get it off the road. Then the flaggers had to stand out in pouring rain untill they brought another machine up from Moncton to taper the cut for the night. There is an outfit that is going down hill,,Miller group. Guy on the pulverizer last year told me that since the europeans bought them out, they don't fix anything until it breaks. I guess Northern group is in the same boat.

20/80

Occupation
operator
Don't get me wrong, I still prefer the production sized grader over the little maintainer, but I find doing government work has changed so much. Most of these inspectors are still wet behind the ears. I have put down about 800 tonne of fresh off the milling machine, not screened rap, between yesterday and this morning with a maintainer, and not my new one. Old girl was working hard for her money. We are doing a road resurfacing for the city, and the engineering dept decided to cover two parking lots I can see from the job. Not real big junks, but junky enough. Miller broke this morning around 9. They got it going enough to get it off the road. Then the flaggers had to stand out in pouring rain untill they brought another machine up from Moncton to taper the cut for the night. There is an outfit that is going down hill,,Miller group. Guy on the pulverizer last year told me that since the europeans bought them out, they don't fix anything until it breaks. I guess Northern group is in the same boat.
Sad really, a lot of companies run that way now, no more active prevention, just reactive prevention, parts are hard to get also, most suppliers don't stock much anymore, had a air to air elbow hose rubbed a small hole in the hose, was a week getting it from Cat, was coming out of Germany, one would think Cat would have one in North America, I was told Irving bought out Miller group.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
Sad really, a lot of companies run that way now, no more active prevention, just reactive prevention, parts are hard to get also, most suppliers don't stock much anymore, had a air to air elbow hose rubbed a small hole in the hose, was a week getting it from Cat, was coming out of Germany, one would think Cat would have one in North America, I was told Irving bought out Miller group.
Colas Group France. Northern Construction was bought by Vincy, Also from France. They ordered parts for the shaker on our asphalt plan in the fall after the season was done. Just got the plant going last Friday. One of our super dutys needs a set of warn hubs, They were put on the truck 3 years ago for a price of 350 bucks. They have lifetime warranty but Napa can't get any for a month, and they are now almost 800

20/80

Occupation
operator
Not sure how people are going to live, the price of everything has doubled, interest rates, and this new carbon tax coming into play has put yet another strain on families that were just getting by to begin with, your wages has not doubled though that's for damn sure, the new immigrants coming in to the country will work for next to nothing, that's why the government is bringing them in in droves it seems, you will see them on graders soon, we just don't seem to have that working class anymore, kids today are computer driven, just want to sit in front of a screen or are phone zombie's with no work ethics, heavy equipment operators are fading fast, you see Dexter's all the time at fairs or exhibitions with a booth set up looking for new recruits, just look at some work sites, hard to find anyone under 50 years of age, not sure what the next Gen will bring.

20/80

Occupation
operator
Good day all, seems to have quieted down a bit , everybody is busy, I have been busy also, second round on my roads and most are sprayed now for dust control, I'm going to be taking part in some grader training for some new operators in a week or two, Always look forward to helping out new operators and sharing some info that will help them along, It has been wet this past week with the weather, we call it job security at our shop , lol