• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Sonic tracer

Worm Burner

Any one out there use a sonic tracer to trim under string line for kerb ?
Rang 3 different kerb companies in SE Qld , and they don't now of any one that uses sonic .
So they tie the string straight off the peg. How close can the string be to the peg? I would think that it would not work to well trying to read over the peg.
It looks like it would save a lot of getting in and out to measure under the string.
Then the next step top coarse , may speed that up as well.

R.D.G013

Occupation
Heavy equipment operator/foreman for about 48yrs o
Any one out there use a sonic tracer to trim under string line for kerb ?
Rang 3 different kerb companies in SE Qld , and they don't now of any one that uses sonic .
So they tie the string straight off the peg. How close can the string be to the peg? I would think that it would not work to well trying to read over the peg.
It looks like it would save a lot of getting in and out to measure under the string.
Then the next step top coarse , may speed that up as well.

I have used it on a 12H with top con system 5, does work but you really need a proper line sonic string line that has a wire trace thru it for it to follow, think u can get it from top con. If the kerbies use a thick line its better but some of them just use fishing line which it finds hard to pick up. You just have to switch off auto as u come to each peg or it will want to lift the blade over each one as the tracker reads the top of the peg. May be top con can shed more lite on it for u.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
Sounds old fashioned I know, but why not give someone a job to check it? Any curbing company I have ever made ready for asks for 22 inches from the line. 24 to the bottom of the curb and 2 inches to mill out. I place the material according to the stakes, compact it, then once they set up their line, and fine tune it, I run along slowly and again with the ancient technology, a guy walks behind my blade with a 4 foot level and a tape checking every 5 or 6 feet letting me know how close If I am off a bit, I don't bother going back, I just make the change on the move a bit off in 5 or 6 feet is not a big deal. Did as much curb as they could string in about 3 hours, and they were only out about 11 bucks an hour.

R.D.G013

Occupation
Heavy equipment operator/foreman for about 48yrs o
Sounds old fashioned I know, but why not give someone a job to check it? Any curbing company I have ever made ready for asks for 22 inches from the line. 24 to the bottom of the curb and 2 inches to mill out. I place the material according to the stakes, compact it, then once they set up their line, and fine tune it, I run along slowly and again with the ancient technology, a guy walks behind my blade with a 4 foot level and a tape checking every 5 or 6 feet letting me know how close If I am off a bit, I don't bother going back, I just make the change on the move a bit off in 5 or 6 feet is not a big deal. Did as much curb as they could string in about 3 hours, and they were only out about 11 bucks an hour.

The way its done here is with a level and tape measure off the string line the kerbies put up and fine tune, usually go 270mm below the string depending on the type of kerb being used. With a sonic tracker you don't need to have a grade checker because it reads from the string line and controls the grade to what ever the cut is set at, saves a lot of time as well as u don't need a man on the ground checking grade all the time.

Worm Burner

Thanks R.D.G013, I'v been reading cuttin edge's reply and not really being able to visualise it compared to what we do here on subdivision work . Thanks cuttin edge , did you mean that a worker only costs $11 an hour to employ? Here to keep good people you are up for $ 30 to $ 38 per hour for the first 7.5 hours then time and a half but as an employer you can also add 12% super , WPH&S ,training , sick pay, and pay roll tax ( yes the more people you hire the higher the % of payroll tax you pay for the privilege of giving someone a job) maternity leave even for guys,and Q leave a % of the value of the job even though They send me letters saying that I have 157 days holiday pay owing but can't get it because I don't get wages. So in real costs to employ someone, it really is up around $ 60 /$70 an hour, That's why I'm looking to go to systems that cut labour costs down , not that I don't like the old fashioned way.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
Wow, can I get work where you live? I'm a finish grader operator, and only get $19.80 an hour, no time and a half till after 50 hours a week. A labourer here only gets around 11 an hour. I realize the employer pays out more than just the wages but at 30 bucks I'd give up grading and do dummy labor. The 2 companies I normally make ready for use Gomaco commanders. Our surveyors set the gutter grades for elevation, and alignment. Normally 1 meter offset to the gutter line. They come and set up their pickets, set their string up and fine tune it. Both machines run the string 24 inches from the bottom of the curb, but like to mill or auger out 2 inches of material, usually inch and a quarter crushed gravel. Before they come on site I place the material according to the grade stakes normally 4 and a half inches below the gutter grade. Once the string is set, I eyeball the string and grade off that extra half inch while the 11 dollar an hour man walks along beside me and checks my work with a level and a tape measure. If my elevation starts to get off, I make the adjustment without stopping. Half inch high or low over 5 feet won't get the curbers too excited. Mind you he and I have worked together many times, and he checks each spot in less than 10 seconds, and we have good communication. We did 900 meters a month ago in about 2 and a half hours. The curbing machines use mechanical feelers on the string for elevation and alignment.

Worm Burner

Well wages are in step with cost of living. A 450 sq m house block only here is going for 260K ,the closer to the coast the more it gets ,it's dear to live in AU . The last stage I done was a cult de sac road 180 m long ,9 blocks in total , at a cost of around 1.3 M .

Hoppsxc140

I've ran sonic trackers on string before and it works great. The curb companies around here all use bailing string and its plenty thick enough for the sensors to read. The method I prefer is to take a string holder from the pin and clamp it to end of the moldboard. Then tape a whisker at 90 to the string holder and adjust to whatever grade you want. One man job and its cheap and easy.