• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Someone please help me before I scrap this P.O.S.!!

dieseldog5.9

Curb Guy, looks like I need to take you up on the info for testing shifter and such, I have an FR15B that is blowing the breaker for transmission controller mounted on steering column.

curb guy

Curb Guy, looks like I need to take you up on the info for testing shifter and such, I have an FR15B that is blowing the breaker for transmission controller mounted on steering column.

dieseldog5.9, do you still need the info? I just noticed your post.

dieseldog5.9

Yes I do, drowning right with this thing, the breaker and fuse in the harness keep blowing, nearest I can tell before I ran out of fuses is that when i disconnect the air switch in the left pedal the fuses stop blowing.

curb guy

Yes I do, drowning right with this thing, the breaker and fuse in the harness keep blowing, nearest I can tell before I ran out of fuses is that when i disconnect the air switch in the left pedal the fuses stop blowing.

I will have to have one of the girls in the office help me scan it or, something, and I will try to post it here. I really would like to post it somewhere so that others may benefit from the info. I'll get it up as soon as I can.

Mark250

Occupation
heavy equipment technician
Hi diesel dog to limit current flow to stop blowing fuses while you trouble shoot replace your fuse with a non led test light sometimes this helps. also the light brightness changes as you isolate different components on that circuit and can give you an idea if you are on the right track
I don't know anything about your machine but do know a little bit about electrical systems
Mark

Shimmy1

While a test light can be o.k. for testing circuits for lights, never use one when diagnosing an ECM or other computer-related component. The possibility of frying it due to excess current draw is not worth the risk.

Mark250

Occupation
heavy equipment technician
While a test light can be o.k. for testing circuits for lights, never use one when diagnosing an ECM or other computer-related component. The possibility of frying it due to excess current draw is not worth the risk.

That's true shimmy1. but in this case I was saying to replace the fuse with the test light in other words the test light will be in series with the circuit and will limit current flow ,not cause an increase in current flow which is bad for ECMs. the test light acts as resister in the circuit as I said sometimes it helps to troubleshoot the circuit in question
Mark

Crazymaiden

I will have to have one of the girls in the office help me scan it or, something, and I will try to post it here. I really would like to post it somewhere so that others may benefit from the info. I'll get it up as soon as I can.

I could really use a copy of the wiring diagram, working on the same loader, no 3rd gear, 1st, 2nd, and 4th working great. Might be a simple wire or switch, might be a bigger problem . Any help would be great

Casturo

Curb Guy,

I can help you with your machine if you still have it.

We have a few that we also had the same trouble with. If you are interested just let me no.

grf_1000

This is an old post I found but i'm hoping to find some info. I have a FR15b I'm doing a 24 valve cummins swap. Everything is done and up and running. Somehow with converting over to 12 volt, the gear selector shorted out and can not get 1st or 2 nd gear. Does anyone know where I can get the shift control box/ lever?

grf_1000

As a matter of fact, I was in Columbus today and ,I know a place that used to be a Fiat dealer, pretty good friends with the owner.Anyway, all he sells anymore is parts, and has no mechanics anymore. I was digging through a bunch of old manuals and stumbled across several service bulletins that explain in detail how to check the control lever,solenoids and what circuits energize which solenoids- exactly what I needed to know! I will let you know what I find in the next couple days.

Anyway I could get a copy of this?

grf_1000

I had intended to post what I had found but, I forgot....... Oh well, I did finally figure it out. I was digging through all my old manuals and piles of papers and found a factory TSB that outlined how check the shifter lever on the steering column and, that was the problem. So, if anyone out there in HEF land needs to know how check the levers in either an FR-15B or an FR-20B, let me know and I will be more than happy to post the procedures here.
Please...... or email.

curb guy

Man, I completely forgot about this post. Post up or PM me your email address and, if I can’t figure out how to scan and post it here, I’ll send it to you. It will probably be Monday before I’m back at the shop so, I will see what I can do to get it to you. There are 2 places that I know of where you can send your old controller out for rebuilding, if in fact yours is bad. With the schematic I have, you may be able to fix it yourself. If I remember correctly, I paid around $700 for that rebuilt ZF controller, as mine was shot. I replaced on a Lull telehandler last week. It also had a ZF transmission , and it was right at $1000. (Yeah, I know) I’ll see if I can find the names of the places I know of who works on them. I’m sure someone here knows of other rebuilders. Like I said, I’ll get you something on Monday.

grf_1000

Man, I completely forgot about this post. Post up or PM me your email address and, if I can’t figure out how to scan and post it here, I’ll send it to you. It will probably be Monday before I’m back at the shop so, I will see what I can do to get it to you. There are 2 places that I know of where you can send your old controller out for rebuilding, if in fact yours is bad. With the schematic I have, you may be able to fix it yourself. If I remember correctly, I paid around $700 for that rebuilt ZF controller, as mine was shot. I replaced on a Lull telehandler last week. It also had a ZF transmission , and it was right at $1000. (Yeah, I know) I’ll see if I can find the names of the places I know of who works on them. I’m sure someone here knows of other rebuilders. Like I said, I’ll get you something on Monday.
I sent it in a conversation. Thanks

David Leduchowski

I had intended to post what I had found but, I forgot....... Oh well, I did finally figure it out. I was digging through all my old manuals and piles of papers and found a factory TSB that outlined how check the shifter lever on the steering column and, that was the problem. So, if anyone out there in HEF land needs to know how check the levers in either an FR-15B or an FR-20B, let me know and I will be more than happy to post the procedures here.
Please do. I have a FR15B that has Third and fourth gear only.

Chris Hyde

I have FR 15 that I am trying to get going. Same issue, has transmission pressure but won't move. I would be love to see what TSB information you have. Back up alarm comes on so power is going somewhere but need more information to figure it out. Thank you in advance.

curb guy

I have FR 15 that I am trying to get going. Same issue, has transmission pressure but won't move. I would be love to see what TSB information you have. Back up alarm comes on so power is going somewhere but need more information to figure it out. Thank you in advance.
I’ll try to get it scanned and I will then post it here.