• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

some work pictures

TOM V

Occupation
Mechanic, Welder, Office work ect.
Tom, I'm a relatively new poster that has been lurking for a long time. I am about to embark a line boring mission on my own equipment, one because no one locally does portable line boring and secondly because I have the mechanical skills and time to do it myself versus spending a large chunk at mill shop. My question I guess is; are there relatively economical ways for me to build own boring tools? or should I dive in and try to buy a system?

If you want to build one or get some ideas check out thelineboringbook.com .

Graham1

Tom,
Been looking through the thread. I know you get lots of compliments, but add me to your fan list, your work is fantastic. I just hope you're making a good living out of this, you should be. If only you were based near me I'd be a regular customer. It is awfully hard to find people to do repairs and modifications rather than just trying to sell you something new.
Graham

outbackrider

Tom,
Have you been busy with repairs from the blizzard? Some towns really took it on the chin...
I suspect you may have had a repair or two???

Best
Gary

TOM V

Occupation
Tom,
Have you been busy with repairs from the blizzard? Some towns really took it on the chin...
I suspect you may have had a repair or two???

Best
Gary

Not any blizzard related reairs, but the storm put off a few jobs I was going to start this week.

TOM V

Occupation
A few recent shots, a DEERE 50C swing frame repair.
IMAG0269.jpgIMAG0272.jpgIMAG0273.jpgIMAG0277.jpg

dirty4fun

I thought you only put the bearing in the freezer. Look like the snow found your big sky shop door open. I used to have one just like that so know how nice it is to have a well vented shop.

Glad you have some work, hope business improves for you this year.

RayF

Occupation
lineborer/welder
Tom,I think we should swap locations.:D I'm boring a little cat 950 bucket in my shed today and its just on a 100 degrees. Not sure whats worst.Your location or mine.
Is that swing tower cast iron or cast steel? Did you weld it or take it out for sleeves?

TOM V

Occupation
I thought you only put the bearing in the freezer. Look like the snow found your big sky shop door open. I used to have one just like that so know how nice it is to have a well vented shop.

Glad you have some work, hope business improves for you this year.

The snow was over the top of my work table last week, hope the economy picks up too, thanks.

TOM V

Occupation
Ray, I don't mind the heat so I would not mind swapping locations, that swing frame was welded and hard to machine, I was able to machine it with sandvik inserts, took a little longer but the customer wanted the stock size bore dimensions.

TOM V

Occupation
Some shots from yesteday, a Kobelco swing frame getting bored and sleeved.
IMAG0279.jpgIMAG0283.jpgIMAG0285.jpgIMAG0287.jpg

dirty4fun

Looks like your bench is getting taller. Hope you are just a little busier than you want to be with work this year. You sure do some great looking work!

TOM V

Occupation
A few recent shots, a DEERE 50C getting assembled.
IMAG0292.jpgIMAG0294.jpgIMAG0296.jpgIMAG0313.jpg

TOM V

Occupation
Shrinking some sleeves for installation in a Kobelco swing frame.
IMAG0316.jpgIMAG0315.jpgIMAG0317.jpgIMAG0321.jpg

TOM V

Occupation
A fill in job, got to fab up a tow plate for a Mack.
IMAG0307.jpgIMAG0312.jpgIMAG0310.jpg