• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Some pics of my current project

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Have several at the yard I work out of do same, Boss makes a point to walk around yard and Survey HIS equipment, makes lists of what needs to be attended or get out.

Sanya_Promstal

Occupation
Industrialist
Its been a while, but little seems to change.
Keep in mind that I'm thankful for my job. I mean I thank God every day. I jump around between wrenching and running anything and everything this company has. But damnit! This is the $hit that I put up with. This particular H20 trk driver... I could give a rats @$$ if you are related to the owner or not. If this were my truck, you'd be down the road a month ago. You worthless filthy slob! Yep, I took a pic and yep, I sent it to the owner. I'm sure that he has no clue as to how you take advantage of the fact that you being related to him means that you can get away with this. I hope he fires your entitled a$$. I'm fairly certain that he wont. Blood is thicker than water. But still... I had to vent.
That is all for now. :)

View attachment 245845
Management's nephews are the company's biggest problem.

sfrs4

Occupation
parts admin
I just can't understand the mentality of it, you spend more hours a day in a cab whether it be a truck/tractor/plant equipment than you do in your own bed, yet you won't go to their home and find the bed like that? One of my previous jobs was driving a tractor for a farm contractor spreading manure, day in day out in manure, but my cab was spotless, to a point of I had a boot box outside my cab, so boots off and trainers on to drive, a dust pan and brush to keep it clean, and a rubbish bag for any rubbish accumulated that day. My tractor cab was sat in for 12-15hrs a day 6 days a week 70% of the year. So I treated it like a second home.

Raildudes dad

In the 90's I managed the road maintenance department in our county. 125 employees 85+ single axle dumps for snow removal.Got into an interesting "discussion" with my boss about adding air conditioning to our dump trucks. He says nope, they won't get out of the trucks in the summer. I told him I don't have any problem getting out and sweating but it sure feels good driving back to the yard with AC. His next argument was they don't care of their trucks, they are pig styes. I interacted with the guys in the garage attached to the admin building so I challenged him to go for a walk with me. Up one isle and back the other isle. Probably 20 plus trucks (had to have them for winter, sure didn't need the all in the summer :( ). 1 shop towel on the passenger side floor in one truck. That was it, I figured the trucks would be in ok shape but the guys made me proud that day:) So, then it was AC's too expensive.
I was kinda teed off. His car had air, the supervisors pickups had air, we all had air in our offices and many had it in their homes but we wouldn't put it in our big trucks.
So we put out our annual bid for 6 new dumps- 90 % of our fleet were L8000 Fords in those days. The local Ford dealer got the bid. Now we didn't spec AC but the bid submission had a notation. "AC is now standard equipment on all L8000 series trucks. There will be a $1000 delete charge added if a vehicle is spec'ed without AC." Guess what, the new trucks came with AC.
I'd have to say 95% of our employees take good care of their trucks especially the insides. We're starting to slack on the exteriors. We have a wash bay with a good power washer and 10 minutes in the wash bay spiffs them up nicely. It bugs me when I see one of our trucks with mud up the sides and it hasn't rained in 10 days.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
There is a huge difference between a municipality and a private business. I'm sure it was nice to have what appears to be a higher caliber of employee in a stabile employment situation knowing where they are going to be each day. A fair share of the time people working out of the hall or those working at will usually don't have reason to care about anything other than their pay checks making it through the bank with out having rubber cushions.

I'm of the mind and have witnessed that if one piece of iron has AC, then all need to have it.

RollOver Pete

Occupation
Operating Engineer/mechanic
That old 657B that I ran earlier this year... it and a few more finally cut up. CAT took those old parts, gave them some new paint and here is the results. Two virgin, never before in the dirt 657's. Notice that there is no letter behind the 657. I don't know why?

20211030_133724~2.jpg 20211030_133742~2.jpg

RollOver Pete

Occupation
Operating Engineer/mechanic
You can see in this pic the rear tire was removed. The new rears on both machines get pulled and replaced with good used tires. New tires are hard to come by today so I suppose this move makes financial sense .20211030_133742_2.jpg

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
One thing that is interesting or I'm reading SIS wrong. The build date on the machine is 11/24/2020 but the build date on the engine is 5/19/2021. Did the machine sit waiting for six months for the engine to be built?

colson04

One thing that is interesting or I'm reading SIS wrong. The build date on the machine is 11/24/2020 but the build date on the engine is 5/19/2021. Did the machine sit waiting for six months for the engine to be built?

Quite possibly, yes. I worked at the Decatur CAT facility and it wasn't uncommon to park incomplete machines outside on the lot until the necessary component arrived. Then they would bring it in to a rework area and install the missing components to complete a build for shipment. Not 100's of machines, but a few here and there. CAT believes heart and soul in lean manufacturing and does not stock anything beyond what is scheduled to be consumed. This means if a component gets dropped, scratched, broken during transit, etc, it can't be used in a new build. From my experience, the machine was usually on the line being built when the damaged component was found. I worked in the Supply Chain Planning group and our worst scenarios were late delivery trucks, or unsecured loads arriving on trucks. That would ruin a production schedule real fast. Occasionally, an over eager forklift driver would ding something, but that wasn't the norm from what I dealt with.