• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Some Line Boring Pics

sino-john

Occupation
international trade
Thanks for you to keep these fatastic pics coming in such a busy work, Ray!

Abscraperguy

I've been doing some line boring but not having very good luck with my cutters. Most of the stuff I'm boring is about 4-5 inches ID when I'm finished. What sort of cutters would you all use and what speed would you turn them at?

RayF

Occupation
lineborer/welder
It depends on what type of gear you are using. If you have a strong machine with a good feed set up I like CCMT inserts. I use them for 95% of my boring.http://tool.wttool.com/tools/Ccmt Inserts My bars have 12mm square tool holes which take standard tooling. You need a tough,not hard grade of carbide especially if your cutting weld metal.

RayF

Occupation
lineborer/welder
I've just today finished the PC2000 bucket and the EX1900 bucket. Got the bearings in with liquid nitrogen so they are all finished.:) Here's a couple of pics of the Komatsu bucket. You may notice the pin arrangement we use. No fixed pin with a tail but a plain pin with flanged bearings in the bucket and retained by an O ring sealed cap so the whole thing is sealed. The pin can turn in the bucket or the arm,whatever it wants.DSC04892small.jpgDSC04884small.jpg

OldandWorn

Nice work as always Ray. Not knowing what the factory setup looks like I'm wondering about the threaded holes for the plates that you make. Factory, or do you have to drill and tap those into the bucket?

RayF

Occupation
lineborer/welder
We machine,drill and tap the bosses and they are welded into the bucket. The Komatsu and the Hitachi are different in that the Hitachi has wear plates that bolt onto the faces and the Komatsu has a one piece bearing with a wear flange on it.Thats the superior set up in my opinion anyway:)

RayF

Occupation
lineborer/welder
Steve, the flanges on the bearing are around 58 Rockwell and similar bearings are fitted in the stick.We machine the faces to give around a millimetre clearance. No shims are used.They get around 4000 hrs out of the bearings without the bucket flopping around. When we changed to that system 20 years ago the miners we were working for cut there bucket boring costs by around 75%:)

kenworth

Occupation
Jack of a Few Trades, Master of None
Ray,
Thank you for posting all the info about your work. I look forward to seeing what you are doing everytime I get on the computer.
I did some line boring and bore welding for a couple years and I wish I would have been able to ask you some questions instead of having to figure things out the hard way. Your workmanship is amazing, your a true journeyman craftsman and I am always interested in your projects.
Thanks for sharing your work.
Gary

RayF

Occupation
lineborer/welder
Thanks Gary for the appreciation.Glad you enjoy looking at what brings in my bread and butter:) Don't get to carried away with the flattery though. I'm just a dairy farmer who 24 years ago borrowed some money to buy a machine to try something different.;)My very first job was a D9L radiater frame mount.The night before I got a friend to show me how to read a mike and show me how to sharpen a bit of hi speed steel:D

SE-Ia Cowman

Ray I was just reading your thread and you do some realy great work. Any updated pics from the last year?

RayF

Occupation
lineborer/welder
I'll have a look and see what I got. I have quite a lot of pre digital photo's that have yet to be scanned. I have also decided to give away onsite work after 25 years of climbing over big yellow tractors. Its easier on my bones to do workshop work:)

RayF

Occupation
lineborer/welder
This is a Komatsu 785 Axle. I've done a heap of these over the years. The workshop that did them metal sprayed the bearing surfaces on the spindles and I come in and welded and bored the 12 suspension pivot holes. Bores have to be spot on for size. Only 2 thou interference on the bearings. A thou tight and the pin won't go through and a thou up and the bearing has little interference and will fall out. Not my favorite job;)

Attachments

• Dsc00169.jpg
    Dsc00169.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 3,514

RayF

Occupation
lineborer/welder
Am I seeing things or are you running 3 machines at once?
Yes, I am using 3 heads there but only one power pack to drive them. The way I did them was to get a set up welding and while that was happening I'd be setting up the next bores. When the welder had finished all I had to do was swap over the hydraulic hose (30 seconds) and start the welding or machining again. The gear I use does the welding and machining in the one set up so it allows quick pre machining before welding.
Those jobs as I said aren't my favorite so my plan is to get in and out as quick as possible. If I put a bit of pressure on myself I can do one of those in 10 hours.

JBGASH

Occupation
Plumbing & Excavation Contractor / farmer
Very professional work RayF. You are a true craftsman in your field of work.

cps

Occupation
plant mechanic
Yes, I am using 3 heads there but only one power pack to drive them. The way I did them was to get a set up welding and while that was happening I'd be setting up the next bores. When the welder had finished all I had to do was swap over the hydraulic hose (30 seconds) and start the welding or machining again. The gear I use does the welding and machining in the one set up so it allows quick pre machining before welding.
Those jobs as I said aren't my favorite so my plan is to get in and out as quick as possible. If I put a bit of pressure on myself I can do one of those in 10 hours.

Nice Work Ray, If i havent told you all ready! i meant to thats for sure:drinkup Three machines!! i find it enough running one machine!:D would like to do it your way, should be able to soon as i m going to add another machine!

Aiden