• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

small P&H shovel , need info.

loggah

Well The scrapyard where i shear up iron with my labounty shear on my old 235, got in a old P&H shovel the other day, pretty much complete, nice running 6 cylinder continental engine,good undercarrige. I have a small collection of old crawler tractors,trucks, and a unit 12-20 crane, i just didn't have the heart to chop it up,so i bought it!! I believe its from the 40"s but have no idea what model,I would like to buy a parts ,or operators manual for it,hopefully some here will know what model it is,i will post a link to the pictures,i am not smart enough to post pictures. Don

http://www.pbase.com/loggah/ph_shovel

loggah

Mark, It runs but it needs some TLC the controls are all brake master cylinder and slave cylinders, all need bleeding, it needs a crowd chain, exhaust system, etc. (PAINT) !!!!!The problem is i cannot find a model number anywhere on it,and i really have no idea what year it is. I'm hoping someone here will know so i have a place to start looking for a manual !!!!! Don

brian falcone

funny...i looked at a p&h shovel just like that in milford mass a few years back. i want to say it was a 155. same condition and everything. wonder if it made its way up north ? glad to see you are saving it. you need to register over at www.hcea.net they have a forum there and someone will have any info you need. once im done with my international t340 i was going to sell it and buy a small bay city shovel over in ct. allways wanted one to tinker with. good luch with it. brian

loggah

Brian, This one came in from Caanan N.H., belonged to some old guy that had a stroke, but on the side of it in old peeling paint is FAIRBANKS MILL
,DESIGN & CONSTRUCTION, Danville,VT, i'm checking them out now. I know a few guys in the Northeast Rockbusters ,group of the HCEA,i will try and ask them. thanks. Don

Autocar61

Just stumbled onto this site,nice to see that you saved this little shovel I believe you have a model 150 1/2 yard shovel probably not a lot of them left. Hope to see it running someday. I have the old equipment bug and have some stuff in the yard too.

loggah

I think its a 155 model from what info ive found, still no idea as to the year,late 40,s early 50's probably. Hopefully i will find a manual somewhere. Don

WerkBrau

Are you serious, that old beast still runs?! If so that is really impressive, what a testiment to old school engineering and manufacturing!

loggah

It runs fine they ran it on and off the lowbed, but the controls all need bleeding ,and it needs a crowd chain. When you have 8 master brake cylinders ,and 8 slave cylinders it would be nice to have a manual to see which does what!:) Don

Autocar61

The 155's I have moved and worked on had the telephone booth cab and power box machinery deck. I have worked on and had some to do with several 150's both truck and crawler mounted and look to be what you have it's just a little 255.at 1/2 yard cap.It will be a nice fun little shovel I hope to see it at one of our sand box shows someday.

General310

Autocar61 is correct. That is a 150. I have one that my grandfather purchased new in 1946. Our's is serial #10862, so I would assume yours is pre WWII. Double check the engine as it is most likely a Waukesha. The earlier one's had 6BK's and the later one's had 6BZ's. Master and wheel cylinders were from Ford trucks as was the 3 speed transmission. Undercarriage was an Allis-Chalmers. The 4 main operating levers, starting on the left: Swing/travel, crowd/retrack, hoist, boom raise/lower. Foot pedals: Left - crowd drum brake, right - hoist drum brake.

Hope that helps. Glad you saved it.... very few left.

loggah

Well that helps a lot, i will recheck the engine,i just assumed with the distributor coming thru the head it was a continental!! now to find a operators manual. I thought the tracks looked like AC i have a "K' ac,and had a HD 7 an noticed they looked similar. Maybe i'll get to tinker on it a bit next week,i got to fix a fuel injection pump on my 653 AC first,thanks again. Don

loggah

Well i went back and climbed in the shovel,stood on my head,i removed the air tube from the air filter to the carburator and there was the engine tag,i couldn't read it well but its a Waukesha engine, the date on top of the head was 3 1 46 ,so i assume 1946. There really isnt much room in the house to move around,me being 6'4" and 285 lbs !!!! Don

Autocar61

No not a lot of room but more than some. If you are going to get into it deep remove some sheet metal and set up some staging sometimes saves time and makes cleaning and freeing things up a bit nicer out in the open.

brian falcone

looked over your pics again...im going to take a ride to see if that other shovel is still there. Autocar61, were you at the hcea national show in richmond ?

Autocar61

yes I was there I am a rockbuster and am on the show comity. My 225 fed the crusher and my 950 was there screening. I hope you had a good time. We have a show in N.H. in august this summer.

brian falcone

i had a great time. put 8 hours on my t340 that sunday. i wanted to attend the show in n.h. but i have no ride for the loader . the days of borrowing trucks and trailers from work are over as others abused the privilige.

General310

loggah - I have operators and parts books for this machine. Really swamped with work right now, but first chance I get I'll copy them for you. Email your contact info so I can get them to you. (Bennettsandandgravel@yahoo.com)

Seems odd that the date you found was so late with ours being numbered so much higher. Story is that my family placed the order for their P&H sometime in 1945 even before the war ended. Equipment manufacturers were taking orders once it appeared the war was nearing an end. I will have to ask my father, but I thought he said that it was delivered in early 1946. I do remember him saying it was painted olive drab, so it must have been produced for the military, but they never took delivery of it. Maybe they were stamping them as they left to be delivered for warranty purposes.

If you can get ahold of Mark Dietz @ P&H mining he can tell you the shipping history of your machine. I'm sure someone over at the HCEA website could put you in touch with him.

loggah

Brian, Where is the show in N.H. in August? I will ask **** Hallberg,or Bruce Crawford,maybe i will show up !!!! General 310 thats great i really could use them, i will e-mail my info.thanks again. Don

brian falcone

from the rockbusters calender
Wilton NH on Saturday and Sunday, August 11th and 12th 2012. The location is at the gravel pit on Route 31 south just south of Route 101 in Wilton NH. Follow Route 101 east or west to Route 31 south and go about 0.3 miles south of Route 101 intersection and the gravel pit is on the right after Blanchards Auto Salvage.