• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Skytrak 8042 legacy, ocassional no boom down

rehsur69

Hello to all, New to the forum, hope someone can help. 2006 Skytrak 8042 will occasionally lock up on lowering the boom, increasing rpm will force it to lower but engine is under a lot of load. Turning off the engine and restarting will free it up and it works fine until the next time it decides to lock up again. We are looking at possible counterbalance valves and or pilot operated check valves located on the boom lift cylinders. Any help much appreciated. Thanks

grandkobelco

Occupation
chainsaw, small engine mechanic
Is boom down the only function affected, or does any other function slow down, lock up when this happens? If you go up then back down does that ever help? wes

rehsur69

Skytrak 8042 No boom down.

Is boom down the only function affected, or does any other function slow down, lock up when this happens? If you go up then back down does that ever help? wes

Thanks for the reply Wes. Today i will try to lock it up and check all the functions so i can answer your questions correctly. The machine has been on the job site and i am getting information second hand. It does not do it all the time, only thing i know is that if you shutt it off, it will clear the problem. Thanks again; Roger

rehsur69

Hello Wes; Sorry about the delay in replying to your question reguarding the hydrolic down lock-up. I could not get it to lock up so we sent it back to the job site, and sure enough it started having its problum. The operator says it effects all functions. Down, lift, extend, steering. Turn it off and it clears up but will do it again. Done it 20 times Monday ! Thanks again; Roger

grandkobelco

Occupation
chainsaw, small engine mechanic
Well I'll tell you a story that skytrack mechanics might not believe. I spent 24 hours working on a 8042 this summer. I wont go into all the gory details but every time the boom went above 40% then came back down it would lock up, slow to extend, no steer, all the functions affected. The only way to fix it was to shut the engine off and restart. After many hours, flow meters, and pressure gages installed I found the problem in the rear axle stabilizer cyl. I completely disassembled it and couldn't see a thing wrong. Since the machine was on a demo and we wanted to look good we air freighted a new cyl in and I installed it, problem never returned. I'm still not sure what was wrong in that cyl. but it was not an electrical problem, it was a lock up off hyd pressure in the valve block on the cyl. I know this because disconnecting the wires from the coils didn't fix it, you had to shut the engine off to relieve the pressure. Then restart and everything would be fine. If you put your ear close to the cyl you could hear oil whistling thru it. Unfortenently for you that cyl ain't cheap, upwards of 2000$ I think and I'm not sure what components to tell you to change because I couldn't find anything wrong with mine. If any other track mechs ever heard of this they can dive in. If they don't believe that a problem in the stab cyl could cause a problem in the rest of the machine they can dive in and tell me i'm crazy that's ok to. If you have no locale dealer that you can work with we are a dealer. wes