• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

skidsteer tires on backhoe?

dozerman

Charter Member
Occupation
Owner operator excavation
My local tire supplier says "everyone" uses skidsteer tires on the front of 4wd backhoes. Is this true?

I am leary of being the guinne pig. The skid steer tire is 10 ply and has a speed limit stamped in the tire of 5mph.

The hoe tires that are on the machine are 12 ply. And have had a good life considering all the rock they have chewed.

Is this tire saleman being level or what?

Thx-Brad

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
My friend uses them on his 2 machines, I've never heard him mention any problems with them. The 5 mph rating seems low even for a skid steer, my 248 has a top speed of 7 mph and the newer 2 speed models go nearly 15.

Bob Horrell

Charter Member
Occupation
Owner/Operator grading business
The skid steer tires work great on the front of a backhoe, however I wouldn't put a 10 ply in place of a 12 ply. The front of your backhoe carries a lot of weight on the front when your bucket is full. They make a good skid steer heavy duty 12 ply with a bead saver and that is what I use on my backhoe. I wouldn't worry too much about the speed rating. There isn't a real big difference in top speeds between my 2 speed bobcat and my backhoe.

dozerman

Charter Member
Occupation
Owner operator excavation
the side walls are thicker on the skid steers.
I don't know how the rubber will fare compared to a hoe tire. It would be harder I would think.

cgraham1

I know this is an old thread! But I'm getting ready to buy new front tires and most of the tires I find are skidsteer tires. Do you guys run actual backhoe tires or is it pretty much the norm to run these skidsteer tires? Right now I have 10 ply tires, do I need 12 or 14 ply? Tractor is a 590 Super L w/ 4 in1 front bucket, so it is pretty heavy. Thanks for the info!