• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

skidsteer newbbie

fboy319

Ok I'm lost, I'm looking for a used steer up to $ 15k mainly for landscaping, yard work, snow removal, gravel moving. I've never operated a skidsteer but have used mini hoes, dozers, and farm equipment. I thought I had it narrowed down to a 01 case 90xt 3900hrs. for 11500 or a jd 250 series 2 for 15500, then I start reading that bobcat 743, 753 or case 1840, 1845c's are very good for what I might be doing and are very reliable. The latter of my options run around the same price, so do I buy older or newer? I'm in Canada but will drive to the US to buy as the prices here ar crazy. Any suggestions or advice will be greatly appreciated
thanks

Wolf

go bobcat, ,and get an older one. it has less plastic parts in it. better quality bro

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Welcome to the forum fboy319. :usa

Manitoba is a big chunk of ground, and probably the least populated of Canada. All your choices are good machines, I don't think I'd go as old as a Bobcat 743, they're good machines, but I'd like something a little newer. One factor I would consider is the closest dealer to you for parts support. Then again, given where you are, is there a dealer even close to you? :)

tripper_174

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator Trainer
Well Atco, sure is lonely up here...what with nobody to be seen for miles and miles! :D There's about 1.2 million people here with 740 thousand in Winnipeg. Most of the population is in the southern third of the province. Along with canoe and parka outlets we have dealers for every type of skid steer or construction type of machine you can name with excellent support for the main line brands. Come on up some day for a holiday, I'd be glad to show you around! Always enjoy your posts. :)

HLNTOIZ

One factor I would consider is the closest dealer to you for parts support. Then again, given where you are, is there a dealer even close to you? :)

Totally agree. That should play a big roll. I just bought a skid steer this year for the first time. I had driven most of the brands. Bobcat, Cat, Scat track, etc. but the one I was most impressed with was the Takeuchi TL130. I loved this machine. So in the spring I found one on Ebay for $14,000 delivered to my front door. It was a 2004 with 2000 hrs. Has been flawless. Very powerfull and easy to drive with pilot controls. Not one complaint on its performance. A lot less driver fatigue with pilot controls also.

Takeuchi 2.JPG

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Totally agree. That should play a big roll. I just bought a skid steer this year for the first time. I had driven most of the brands. Bobcat, Cat, Scat track, etc. but the one I was most impressed with was the Takeuchi TL130. I loved this machine. So in the spring I found one on Ebay for $14,000 delivered to my front door. It was a 2004 with 2000 hrs. Has been flawless. Very powerfull and easy to drive with pilot controls. Not one complaint on its performance. A lot less driver fatigue with pilot controls also.

View attachment 50902

I suppose the dog is Supervisor? :D

I've heard a lot of people say the same things about a Tak skid. Powerful, quick, ease of operation, seems those things keep being said about their machine. Haven't been around one myself. ;)

HLNTOIZ

I suppose the dog is Supervisor? :D

I've heard a lot of people say the same things about a Tak skid. Powerful, quick, ease of operation, seems those things keep being said about their machine. Haven't been around one myself. ;)

The dog (Jeter) is always around. Alway looking for me to disturb a mouse house.

Once you try a Tak you will not want anything else.

spitzair

Squamish BC (Home), Slave Lake, AB (Work)
I guess I'll weigh in here as well... We've got an old 732 Bobcat at home, that thing has been the most dependable thing I've seen. That being said, we did have the u-joint between the engine and pump fail because we never greased it, and it pretty well destroyed the engine and pump when it did say goodbye... My dad was running it at the time and felt it starting to go so instead of shutting it down he made a dash for the truck to haul it home... Suddenly a severe vibration hit and he thought his arse was gonna have a few new holes in it from shrapnel... That's when he finally shut it down... That was probably 15 years ago, it hasn't had any issues since. It's been a really great machine. I'm sure a good 743 will make you a good machine too if it's been taken care of. Just always remember to inspect and grease that u-joint... We ALWAYS do this now...

Directional

I just got rid of my 743. It was a good machine, but for me it was just too small. It just didn't have the power to move enough dirt, nor the weight to do any pushing. I upgraded to a 2006 Cat 236b. Wow, what a machine, IMO perfect for what i use it for, acreage stuff. Lots of jam, heavy enough not to be bouncy, comfy inside, and much easier to run for extended periods IMO. Ya, it was double the price of the old machine, but well worth it.

acasey1433

ive got a 97' 763 with 18' equipment trailer a set of forks, smooth bucket and tooth bucket.
Bobcat has around 22oo hours
call me at 937 6846621

WCJR

Best tires for 873 bobcat

I have not posted before and as such i cannot start a thread. My problem is i need new tires for my 873. This machine has only 501 hours on it. It only stays on my property. The originals lasted 303 hours. I was talked into a set of recapped titans. Salesman said i would get three times as many hours,. Ha ha ha.
Anyway they have 201 hours on them and a cue ball gets more traction.
Any suggestions on a great set of tires. I only put about 1 hour a week on the machine. Most of the hours is to split wood. I have a chucks log mauler inverted log splitter which allows me to split from the cab. No manual lifting involved.
Again sorry if i am in the wrong place.
Thank you

I'm also sorry to bust in here. Need place to final post. Have skid steer and need info. Know I can find it here. Just need place to start like everyone. Thanks hope to get going

HLNTOIZ

I have not posted before and as such i cannot start a thread. My problem is i need new tires for my 873. This machine has only 501 hours on it. It only stays on my property. The originals lasted 303 hours. I was talked into a set of recapped titans. Salesman said i would get three times as many hours,. Ha ha ha.
Anyway they have 201 hours on them and a cue ball gets more traction.
Any suggestions on a great set of tires. I only put about 1 hour a week on the machine. Most of the hours is to split wood. I have a chucks log mauler inverted log splitter which allows me to split from the cab. No manual lifting involved.
Again sorry if i am in the wrong place.
Thank you

A local rental shop started putting these on his machines and said it was the best thing he as done. Saved him so much headaches in downtime and he said he gets many more hours out of them.

1206081322.jpg

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
A local rental shop started putting these on his machines and said it was the best thing he as done. Saved him so much headaches in downtime and he said he gets many more hours out of them.

View attachment 51137

I put a set on this Spring. The only thing I didn't like was the cost of them. They really turn up the dirt when you turn.

SDK 8 Bobcat

Another newbie post to reach my count of 3. Sorry for the post crashing. I just bought an older Toyota SDK8 Bobcat and am reading all the posts to educate myself on these machines. Sounds like mine is pretty rare in these here parts though.

TALLRICK

I put a set on this Spring. The only thing I didn't like was the cost of them. They really turn up the dirt when you turn.

Yes they are expensive, but I cannot figure out why they would behave differently than regular tires in a turn? Maybe because of better traction?

HLNTOIZ

What does downtime cost? That would be worth it in my book. Don't most skid steers turn up dirt when you turn? :beatsme I would assume you plan on fixing any area after traveling on it with a skidsteer?