• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Skid Steer with snow blower???

Canadian_digger

Just wondering if anyone here uses a skid steer with a snow blower for snow removal? I have been thinking about getting one. But I have only used a skid steer for a couple of hours before. I am thinking about 60 to 75hp with a 7foot blower. Anyone have any experience with this combo? Goods? Bads?
Thanks.

TriHonu

I run a 6' blower on a 763 Bobcat. It is a standard flow unit. It does a nice job and even in wet snow it rarely plugs. I also have a plow for the Bobcat. The snow will determine how far you can blow it. Around the house I prefer the blower since I don't end up with with hard packed drifts late into spring. The blower spreads it out and it seems to melt away faster. I use the plow on light snow falls since I can travel much faster and can clear areas much faster. A blower will cause you to travel much slower.

MXZ

For residential type work, driveways and such, I wouldn't get too concerned about having high flow. If you need some distance and are doing larger areas, then the high flow will have an advantage. Get the skid loader first, then match the blower to what flow you have. Most companies offer several different motors to match your hydraulic flow. I know a bunch of guys using them for commercial and personal use, and only a couple of them run high flow. Erskine/Quick Attach makes a nice unit for an all around type machine. In a more commercial application, I think the Buhler is a pretty slick machine.

mouse

Occupation
(wishfully) avoiding work as much as possible
hmmm, the toolcat forum over at tbn has lots of info bout snowblowing and the various blowers people like.

some tracked machines work ok in snow, some are terrible. iirc the cat/asv is the one of choice, the tak is the worst in snow.

i've not read of anyone using a blower on a skidsteer tho i'm sure it happens, most of the stuff i've read is about the toolcat esp for spreading sand/salt at the same time.

bobcat753

I have one on my machine, my machine isnt high flow and it works great. Once you have one you can't go back to a blade!! It rarely plugs, maybe if you try to plow through 3ft drifts. Once you get a feel for it you slow down let it throw and away you go.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
Here is mine just bought this Winter. My machine makes 85 hp net and flows 42 gpm through the high flow. The machine is incredible. I can load a tandem truck with the shute in about 5 minutes. It will throw snow at least 45 feet in cold conditions. That blower is 85" in width. Its a great commerical grade blower. The key is to generate enough gpm and have enough torque to run effectively at least if your doing it commerically.

That is a Quick Attach/Erskine 2400XL model.

Attachments

• 100_7392.jpg
    100_7392.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 11,446

mistersweeper

Occupation
janitor and landscaper
I have a schulte 7400 on my A300 bobcat. I put a grader blade on the bottom to dig to bare concrete and pavement. I can push snow over the top of the blower in any snow condition and blows snow up to 40' feet.

John DiMartino

Super Moderator
Occupation
Greenskeeper/mechanic
Here is mine just bought this Winter. My machine makes 85 hp net and flows 42 gpm through the high flow. The machine is incredible. I can load a tandem truck with the shute in about 5 minutes. It will throw snow at least 45 feet in cold conditions. That blower is 85" in width. Its a great commerical grade blower. The key is to generate enough gpm and have enough torque to run effectively at least if your doing it commerically.

That is a Quick Attach/Erskine 2400XL model.

Very nice Case,love the chains as well,they must really help out on packed snow/ice.Now that is a serious snow moving machine! 42 GPM:eek: ,thats plenty of power for any conditions.You load tandems with the chute you have on it in the picture?

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
Very nice Case,love the chains as well,they must really help out on packed snow/ice.Now that is a serious snow moving machine! 42 GPM:eek: ,thats plenty of power for any conditions.You load tandems with the chute you have on it in the picture?

Thanks for the compliment. There is another chute that goes on it for loading trucks its much taller. Takes about a half hour to change over.

CRAFT

Occupation
30 yrs Owner/Operator
HELLO Everyone ! ... Its time to get this thread rolling again. Been watching /reading this site for years .... Now I finally joined ! ... All I have to do is figure out how to post pics and stuff ... Happy New Year to you all !

CRAFT

Occupation
30 yrs Owner/Operator
Ever since I saw the pic of KSSS's machine ....Ps(that is one nice hunk of a combo unit KSSS)....I could not stop thinking I need to finally update my older Buhler for this New One ! ....Here is a couple of my Pics

Attachments

• Work pics 001.jpg
    Work pics 001.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 9,741
  • Work pics 008.jpg
    Work pics 008.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 9,931

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
Ever since I saw the pic of KSSS's machine ....Ps(that is one nice hunk of a combo unit KSSS)....I could not stop thinking I need to finally update my older Buhler for this New One ! ....Here is a couple of my Pics

I like that tall chute design. The open front design would prevent some plugging. I like it. :D

The added lights on top also look great. I will keep that idea in mind. Great job putting that set up together.

Last edited:

CRAFT

Occupation
30 yrs Owner/Operator
Thanx Ksss. YA!...... it was alot of work to integrate all of the lights into Bobcats wiring harnesses ....now have all of the 4 way flashers c/w turn signals working and side strobes (amber where the boom cyl's are) and Led's amber to the rear .....there's nothing freakier than having a car/truck coming at you broadside at 65mph ....it almost seams a beacon is more of a BULL'S EYE than a warning device..... been doing this stuff for 36 years now...... been thru the open tractors w/blades , p/u's with blades, tandem dumps w/frink plows to big skidsteers .... have had skids for 12yrs now and they are by far the most versatile units going especially for snow removal, buckets, blades, and now the "Buhler 8424 Commercial Snow Blower" .....when you are opening up Logging Roads, that have never been plowed all winter, and the snow is too plentiful to put it any where nothing beats the Blower ....its been a DREAM finally come true......GK

Jimmy L

Occupation
Electrician
Nice machines CRAFT & KSSS I notice both of you have chains on your machines, the guys around here that own skid steers tell me that they go through chains like crazy. I was wondering if you all do the same or have some trick to keeping them under the machine. I was told the quick radius turns are what tear them up. The guy I bought my chains from told me that I only wanted to put them on the back wheels because both would be to much wear and tear. I am new to my skid steer and was wanting some knowledge from the experts! Thanks

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
Nice machines CRAFT & KSSS I notice both of you have chains on your machines, the guys around here that own skid steers tell me that they go through chains like crazy. I was wondering if you all do the same or have some trick to keeping them under the machine. I was told the quick radius turns are what tear them up. The guy I bought my chains from told me that I only wanted to put them on the back wheels because both would be to much wear and tear. I am new to my skid steer and was wanting some knowledge from the experts! Thanks

I have chains on the back only this year. What tore my chains up was having a huge push box. I had plenty of power, just traction was an issue. Turns can be an issue but for me the big push box was just too hard to hook up with any traction. I think I am going to go to a big snow bucket. The pusher I have is built my FFC.

I have been getting my chains at Camp Equipment in Belgrade. Seem to have the best chains at the best price. You have to spend the money for the best ones or your throwing your money away on the cheap versions.

I am waiting for the next snow storm and I am going to take video of the blower clearing snow and loading trucks and put it on my website.

JGS

Craft & KSSS where do you use the blowers with the high chute the most? Do you have commercial contracts or do you hire out to municipalities? How is the production rate loading trucks vs. a wheel loader? I am considering upgrading my low flow skid and blower to high flow unit. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks