• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Skid Steer Tires (best wearout)

Wayne Jaynes

Occupation
own buisness
I own an 863 bobcat that is very heavy for its size and i spend $140.00 bucks for each tire as it wears out. What is the best wearing tire out there for skid steers? I stay in the dirt all the time and my tires wear out to fast. Could it be because they are from China? I live in Michigan if you know of a place to purchase tires. Also is there codes on these tires that i can look at for load rating or wearout rating like truck tires have? Thanks Wayne

bobcatmechanic

Occupation
bobcat mechanic
the cheap tires will wear faster you get what you pay for the bobcat heavy dutys seam to wear well in just dirt the severe duty tires wear really well and last about 1000 hrs or so maybe more my neighbor has them on his machine has about 600 hrs on them and they are a little over half tread he works mostly in dirt and a little payment but the draw back to these tires is they ball up bad and don't clean out in the mud they are awsome for street use if you are going to spend the money for them because they are about 300 or so a tire get them foam filled to avoid flats and just get them recapped when they wear out also are you running over the tires tracks

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
My machine came with Galaxy construction lug tires and by 800 hours they were bald. I replaced them with Solideal Lifemaster SKZ, the center tire pictured in the link. I've got 800 hours on them and only 25% tread wear at this point. the trade off has been slightly less traction in extreme mud conditions. The tread will load up with mud and they become slicks. It hasn't effected my operation much, the extended tread life is a bonus for me.

Dogger

Occupation
Operator
Hi all we got a Case 60xt witch is fitted with Galaxy beefy babys, I think they are the best tyre on the market for our application avreging 900+ hours

joedirt

Solid Tires

Interesting question Wayne. We just put a set of the Bobcat brand of solid tires on our S160. I'd say we have about 200 or so hours with very minimal wear.

I would agree with you Steve on the loss of traction. I noticed right a way that during dozing operations the machine would spin very easily. I am happy that we have had no flats but am curious if your tires break loose Steve even if you are on dry material???

Sorry to hi-jack your thread Wayne, I was going to post some questions about these solid tires and you opened the door.

Yellowdog

I get 1000 plus hours out of galaxy rubber. Hulks are my favorite and I work in limestone rock, flint chert rock, and honeycomb rock often. I also do driveways in crushed limestone with 9k lb machine.

CEwriter

Occupation
journalist
We did a little research with our Reader Advisory Board on skid steers, and I made a point of asking a number of questions about tires. A brief summary of the research results is in our August issue (mid-month publishing date means the stuff will go up online probably late this week or early next. Here's more of the tire section than we published in the magazine:

Radials on Skid Steers?
Yes 44%
No 49%
Not Sure 7%

Preferred Skid Steer Radial
21% Goodyear
18% Michelin
12% Bridgestone Firestone
4% General
2% Titan
2% Toyo
4% Other

Preferred skid steer bias ply tires
Goodyear 24%
Bridgestone Firestone 23%
Titan 6%
Carlisle 2%
Continental 2%
Yokohama 2%
GPX Tire Co. 1%
General OTR 1%
OTR Wheel Engineering 1%
Toyo 1%
Other 2%
No preference/Don't use bias 32%

Preferred brand of skid steer flat-proof tires
Superior Tire & Rubber 11%
GPX Tire Co 6%
Solideal 6%
McLaren 5%
Bullman 2%
OTR Wheel Engineering 2%
Radmeister 2%
eTerra 1%
Nu Air 1%
Ty Cushion Tire 1%
Other 4%
No preference/Don't use flat-proof 57%

This is interesting:

How often is the inflation pressure in skid steer tires checked/maintained?
Daily 20%
Weekly 30%
Monthly 12%
Every engine oil change 18%
Other 10%
Don’t know 10%

Tire makers say you should check inflation pressure daily. As demanding as a skid steer is on tires, it's even more important.

Best,

Larry

Orchard Ex

Super Moderator
This is interesting:

How often is the inflation pressure in skid steer tires checked/maintained?
Daily 20%

Weekly 30%
Monthly 12%
Every engine oil change 18%
Other 10%
Don’t know 10%

Tire makers say you should check inflation pressure daily. As demanding as a skid steer is on tires, it's even more important.

Best,

Larry
(bolding added by me)
Well, that stat would make me question the validity of all the data right there.
Unless, by "checking" they mean noticing that the tires aren't completely flat before running more than 30 Min's. :rolleyes:
How many SSL operators have you seen put a pressure gauge on the tires every morning? I'm thinking not 1 in 5. ;)

jdns

Occupation
service tech. / service manager
You might think about how you operated the machine. Counter rotating and sharp turns will wear out tires fast.:my2c

Dwan Hall

Occupation
Self Employed
Bobcat 975 12000#

I get about 1000 hours per set @ $500 each tire w/Goodyear loader lug, less with cheaper tires.
This machine works on all surfaces. I find the fastest ware is spring when sweeping. I also sipe my tires for winter use.