• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

skid steer tire decision

Jim Dandy

Thought I would share with the forum pics and info on my new skid steer tires.

The old tires are Solideal solid tires and I have about 1500 hours on them and they are basically flat but I will put them back on this summer and wear them down some more. For snow plowing they did not have any traction. I have no problems with the Solideals except that they were very rough riding. I can't remember exactly but I think I paid around 2000 for them about 8 years ago. The new tires are Maxis tires that I had foam filled. All four tires foam filled was $1600 and the people say 2500 hours but I seriously doubt it. I almost bought Skid Steer Solutions eterras for $2000 (not including shipping) but I was told the foam filled would ride alot better and they were $400 cheaper without counting shipping. Any how I have very little time on the new tires but they do seem to ride alot better. Based on the ride I don't think I will going back to solid tires. It seems that ever since we put the solid tires on I was the only one who would run it.

Attachments

• DSCN4111.JPG
    DSCN4111.JPG
    211 KB · Views: 1,664
  • DSCN4112.JPG
    DSCN4112.JPG
    232.1 KB · Views: 1,592
  • DSCN4113.JPG
    DSCN4113.JPG
    231.8 KB · Views: 1,573
  • DSCN4114.JPG
    DSCN4114.JPG
    211 KB · Views: 1,634

Randy88

Can you get the old solid tires recapped and if so what does it cost to do that or is it just as cheap to buy all new again, the sales pitch I was given on the solid tires was once you have the rims it was cheaper to have them recapped or pressed on new rubber, however you want to say it. Also if you puncture the foam filled or really damage the sidewalls will the foam leak out? I've been told both ways that they will and also they won't, any idea the difference or who's telling it straight? I shy'ed away from solid tires because of the ride and also foam filled because they leak out the foam, but flats are not the answer either and am still considering either as an option. Any input would be appreciated. thanks

Jim Dandy

Randy the tires are Mitas brand and they were filled with Tyrfil Green (tyrfil.com) and it is my understanding that the fill solidifies once it sets up and there will be no leaking. They even drilled a 3/8's hole in the sidewall to put the fill in the tire and screwed in this plastic plug that I am sure will snag something at some point and come out. They showed me a sample of it and it was a fairly hard gell. I checked around about repressing some new solids on my old solids steel rims but I couldn't find anyone in my area that did it and most didn't know what I was talking about. I finally found someone that could and with shipping there and back and the cost of the refitting it was not cost effective. the people that sold me my new tires and filled them said that it would not be cost effective to retread these when they were out. You would just cut these tires off the rims and fit new tires. I used the machine this AM for about 5 hours and the ride is much better than the old solids.

Randy88

The foam they use around here they inject through the valve stem, I've done several small lawnmower tires because I got tired of always fixing flats but never anything large but they even told me it would leak if I ruined a sidewall, so it has to be something different than what you used. I'll ask around and see if anyone here knows anything about that or where to have it done at. The solid tires being recapped is about what I figured it would be, slightly different than the sales pitch you get from the sales rep. Thanks for the reply and info.

1985GT

We fill our tires on our old Case, when they wore out after about 500 hours we cut them off to put new on. The fill we used was basically a two part rubber that turns solid after 24 hours. Only thing I liked about them was the fact they didnt have the air fill bounce while turning on pavement. other then that I think they wore out too fast as I new they would. We needed the extra weight. New we bought a Cat 242B no longer need the added weight to lift what we do.

Randy88

I looked up the website and thats a totally different product than anything around here, the closest dealer for it is 200 miles away, I"ll check with them next week on costs and things, the foam around here will leak out over time if the hole is large enough, so if you gouged a sidewall and cut it deep enough it would leak over time if the hole were big enough, this stuff was made for nails and small punctures where your tire would leak flat slowly. I almost always ruin the sidewalls of tires, I just did another last night, slit a gouge in the sidewall and ruined the tire, which was almost new, maybe 100 hours of use.

1985GT

Where at in Iowa are you? Walker tire did ours. They had to send them out to do them but I dont think it was to much to fill them.

calialx1

I bought a S185 two years ago with those same solideal solid tires, after the first full day of use I removed them and replaced them with pneumatic tires. That is way too harsh of a ride for anyone to be working with. I had back pain for a week. :mad:

toomanymachines

I like the grip on those maxxis tires.
alot of people around here run the foam in bombardier tires, at least the furthest back one. too bad they need a new tire, new tube and then they put screws into it to make sure it fills properly? at least that is how they do it here in manitoba.