• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

skid steer roller performance vs roller compactor performance

lake side bob

Occupation
owner operator
Thinking of a skid steer roller compactor and wondering how they compare in performance with a small roller compactor like a Compac T40D a 9000 pound machine, 54 inch wide drum.
What depth can the skid steer compactor actually compact sand?
What compaction will a skid steer achieve in sand, 85%?
Any one have one (skid steer compactor) and if so what are your though's on them, are they worth it, what is wrong with them?
Do they work with tires or only with tracks on the skid steer?

Turbo21835

They work decent. You have to have some room to turn. Your lifts need to be thinner obviously. Moisture will help a bunch. When I say you need room to turn I will elaborate. In my experience we had a hard time getting compaction tests to pass in areas where we had to turn the machine. That being said, They work decent, but dont expect a ton of production. But they are a step up from walking behind plate compactor

clintm

Occupation
trucking,concrete recycling,grading, demolition
I had a altec for my 90XT case years ago bought new about $9,000.if I remember rite . had to replace hyd drive motor after little use. used a little more it failed again I think it's still in my junk pile. was not really satisfied with it's performance when it did work .always wished I would have bought a good used 48" or 54" self propelled roller that way you could be compacting while still grading with skid steer (if you have 2 people if not I think it would still be faster because you don't have to change attach.)and performance is better I bought my to just seal up job site at end of day.

lake side bob

Occupation
owner operator
I had a altec for my 90XT case years ago bought new about $9,000.if I remember rite . had to replace hyd drive motor after little use. used a little more it failed again I think it's still in my junk pile. was not really satisfied with it's performance when it did work .always wished I would have bought a good used 48" or 54" self propelled roller that way you could be compacting while still grading with skid steer (if you have 2 people if not I think it would still be faster because you don't have to change attach.)and performance is better I bought my to just seal up job site at end of day.

If its in your junk pile what kind of money would you want for it?
What size and model is it?

clintm

Occupation
trucking,concrete recycling,grading, demolition
I think it's an 84" if I remember right it's leaking hyd oil again out of the hyd motor. it's a smooth drum it's buried pretty deep if I get a chance I will try and dig it out

lumberjack

I've thought about putting one on a compact wheel loader to get around the skid steering disturbance.

I've also wondered why they don't make one that's designed to add weight to it; like a ~2500lb roller designed to carry a mafia block.

powerjoke

Occupation
owner/operator/estimator/mechanic/grunt/ditchdigge
I bought one for a job new from bobcat, used it 30min said the hell with it and went and rented a SD40 and there was no comparison. Sold the SS attachment at auction, to be honest I hated it so bad and was so pissed at it I coulda hauled it into the scrapyard that day and been happy about it.

Just my opinion

Pj

DoyleX

Occupation
Lever Puller, Gear Jammer, Pipe Twister
Remember the pull behind type from the 70s? Quicktach plate on the hitch and a ctl

JDOFMEMI

Remember the pull behind type from the 70s? Quicktach plate on the hitch and a ctl

That is a better idea than the skid steer attachment.

I rented one from Cat once for a job. Tried it for an hour or so, then took it back and rented a real roller. In my opinion, they are only worth what they weigh for scrap.

lake side bob

Occupation
owner operator

Thank you for the reply.
Question why would you think one of those small pull behind compactors that were belt driven for vibration of the drum be more desirable then one of the skid steer attachment compactors that are hyd driven for vibration?
Granted the pull behind compactors weighted just over 3000 pounds vs 1,600 pounds for a similar drum width (5 feet) skid steer attachment.
Looked up the Raygo pull behind smooth compactor it weighed 3,100 pounds and at 2400 vibrations per minute it produced 10,000 ponds of impact that's 1,000 to 2,000 pounds more then the skid steer attachment of similar width.
CAT's CV16B thats 66 inch drum with produces 11,903 pounds dynamic (centrifugal) force at problely max hyd flow, and of 2,946 vibrations per minute.
Do you think a quick attachment welded to a pull behind compactor would work?
3,000 pounds on the ground, attached to loader boom and turning it with medium size (say a 1500 to 1750 pound size machine) skid steer loader boom, would not the loader booms fail?
What do yo think?
How did the attachment compactor you used affect the skid steer loader boom arms when you were turning a corner?

DoyleX

Occupation
Lever Puller, Gear Jammer, Pipe Twister
It all comes down to dollars and cents. Do you have more dollars or sense?

Last edited:

buckfever

We rented one from JD and like others have said it sucked. Running over fill with the rubber tires on the skid loader got better compaction then the roller mounted on the front.

Bob I think the kind of rollers that Doylex is talking about we're the old school pull behind rollers that ran on a 3 cylinder Wisconsin gas motor. Seen many parking lot bases put in with one of those pulled behind a 40hp tractor.

lake side bob

Occupation
owner operator
Say DoyleX
I do not know what happened to the rest of your post but its not on my screen only in the email notification from Heavy Equipment Forum>
You have a pull behind pad foot compactor a Rago? I have four of them one is a pad foot.
I have been thinking of putting a skid steer quick attachment plate on one of the smooth drum units.
Did you do that? This is what I take from the email.
Thank you, Lakeside Bob

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
You hear a lot about bearing and seal failures on these attachments. I think the best set up is that by MBW. They figured a way to keep them from failing. I was close to buying one, I since bought a twin drum CASE 202, but I would still like an attachment for certain jobs. Allied also makes that plate style compact for skid steers. Looks much like an oversized hoe pac. My issue would be whether or not you can compact with it without messing up the grade.

lake side bob

Occupation
owner operator
You hear a lot about bearing and seal failures on these attachments. I think the best set up is that by MBW. They figured a way to keep them from failing. I was close to buying one, I since bought a twin drum CASE 202, but I would still like an attachment for certain jobs. Allied also makes that plate style compact for skid steers. Looks much like an oversized hoe pac. My issue would be whether or not you can compact with it without messing up the grade.

That Case 202 is a 48 inch smooth double drum roller, do you use it to compact dirt like a self propelled smooth drum vibrator compactor?
If yes how does it work?
What trouble have you had with it compacting dirt?

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I use it for granular material like 3/4 roadbase and pit run. The pit run material here compacts pretty easy, mostly 8" minus. The roller works well for that here. We don't see much loam type material, I have never used it in anything that did not have rock in it. Most guys here use a twin drum or a larger single drum roller. As for the roller itself, we like it. I demoed a CAT 224E and we liked the CASE better.