1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

sinopec oil

Discussion in 'Lubrication' started by gwhammy, Nov 26, 2017.

1. gwhammy

gwhammy Well-Known Member

Anyone use them? I know they are part chinese owned but what isn't? They do own several part ownerships in oil fields around the United States. I'm going to try some hydraulic oil.

2. treemuncher

treemuncher Well-Known Member

eatin' trees, poopin' chips
    I purchased some last winter. According to the hydraulic suppliers and shops that I checked with, as long as it meets certifications, it's ok to use. I'm using both 46 and 68 hydraulic fluids with excellent results. It's very clear and you will notice that it is very slick and tough to clean off of your hands. No problems and my hydraulics are working fine.

I'm planning to purchase synthetic engine oil next time I order more 46 fluid.

3. gwhammy

Just got my pallet of 20 wt. hydraulic oil today. Opened one and did notice it is real slick. I'm thinking of ordering a couple of barrels of the synthetic myself.

4. JTWAT

JTWAT Well-Known Member

Why use a foreign oil? Because of price? There are plenty of US made lubricants to use.

5. Shimmy1

Shimmy1 Senior Member

My name is Brian, and I'm a workaholic.
    Because it's so cheap it's unbelievable. I know a guy that buys the engine oil by the tote for less than $8 per gallon, DELIVERED. It's tempting, but for 110 gallons per year, I'll stick to Rotella.

6. gwhammy

How does he like it? I just read a blog on the 15-40. I just read a test on it and seems it come up to standards.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017 at 2:24 AM
  7. Shimmy1

Shimmy1 Senior Member

My name is Brian, and I'm a workaholic.
    I don't believe he's been running it long enough to decide if it's any better or worse than any local brands, but otherwise he loves it. IF, and that's a BIG if, I was going to think about changing, I would buy 10 gallons from him and try it in one of our trucks to see if consumption changed. I've had several instances over the years where a "new to me" piece of equipment uses very little oil for the first service, then when I put my oil in it proceeds to burn 3 gallons in 200 hours. I did have a truck that dried up after 3 oil changes, so I know there is something to this.

8. gwhammy

I wish they sold it in 5 gallon jugs just to try it. I might try the full syn. in 5w30 in one of my diesel pickups. 5w30 just seems to light in an old cat motor.

9. Birken Vogt

Birken Vogt Charter Member

They do have 5 gallon jugs, I just looked. At least they exist, I don't know who has them.

10. JTWAT

JTWAT Well-Known Member

I'm all for saving a buck, but don't want to skimp on quality. It may meet standards but for how long. Remember"You get what you pay for". My equipment costs too much for me to use a lower quality product in it. Save a dollar now to spend more down the road for a rebuild. Not me.