• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Silverdome fails to implode

crane operator

Allright all you excavator guys, I've got a little project for you. They evidently lost a couple wires, and the demo didn't quite work.

Now somebody with some serious stones is going to have to get up close and personal with a building that may decide to just fall on its own.

I bet there's going to be some head scratching going on, and some guys I'm sure are wishing for a hard wind tonight and that it all comes down.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Well I've demo'd alot of structures but I have zero experience in something that large even after botched explosives. They could build up a large dirt ramp on a section, use a high reach muncher and take it down, section by section.

The dirt ramp would need to be tall and long enough for the high reach excavator to work safely. Take each section down and move the dirt ramp around the stadium until it's on the ground. They may or may not have enough room around the stadium to build such a ramp though.

It's going to be expensive when it's all said and done, that's one thing I do know.:cool:

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Air National Guard target practice.....

Or lock it up like its valuable and it may very well be gone in the morning....it is in Detroit.....

Directional drill under it so as to undermine the foundation.....

If it was in Oklahoma we get an earthquake every so often just give it a day or two and a M3.5 will finish what they started.

Tell Eminem he can host a concert there for free. That 808 bass would do it too!

DIYDAVE

Air National Guard target practice.....

Or lock it up like its valuable and it may very well be gone in the morning....it is in Detroit.....

Directional drill under it so as to undermine the foundation.....

If it was in Oklahoma we get an earthquake every so often just give it a day or two and a M3.5 will finish what they started.

Tell Eminem he can host a concert there for free. That 808 bass would do it too!

Ya beat me to it...;)

Delmer

I don't buy the stories for a second. Supposedly there was some wiring problem and 10% of the explosives failed? 0% of the structure collapsed, that means somebody screwed up somewhere higher up than the guy running the wires. Like using entirely wrong calculations, or forgetting to include some big factors somewhere.

td25c

Oh Man ...... This is an easy one .

Just get Colin Kaepernick & some of his cronies to show up in protest of the failed implosion . They will take a knee with a moment of silence and all the sudden she will come falling down Just like the NFL league ! LOL :D

Bumpsteer

Occupation
Mechanical designer
They are saying the charges on the main columns inside didn't go off.....the upper level was the only thing to go down.

Went to the very first tractor pull they had there, about '77. They had no clue how bad the diesel smoke & exhaust fumes would be. End of the show you couldn't see across the place, eyes were watering, head pounding, bet everyone there had carbon monoxide poisioning.......

Ed

crane operator

They got the upper level down today, it took some gutsy guys to go up there and re rig that for demo after the bad attempt yesterday. I'd like to see their daily job safety sheet on that one. Well "I'm going to hope the whole building doesn't decide to fall down while I'm rigging the new explosives"

gr79

What no wrecking balls?
9000 recalled VW diesel cars are stored in the parking lot.
Building contractor Barton Malow laughed: "we build 'em good".

Went to the very first concert there 12/4/75 with 2 friends. I drove
General admission. 75,962 sprint for main floor.
The Who played so far away, was like a small radio playing.
Cold outside and in. New winter coat passed the test, brews in pockets.
People peed on the main floor. Restrooms too far and packed.
Got pinned real, real scary hard against a wall by a crowd surge.
Went for safety to top level, where doobie smoke formed a cloud.
Friends were somewhere on main floor.
Crazy experience one never forgets. First and last there for me.

Construction
Architect: O'dell, Hewlett & Luckenbach
Building Contractor: Barton Malow
Cost: $55.7 Million
Construction completed on time (23 months) and on budget.
1.5 million cubic yards of earth moved for construction.

Materials Used:
52,000 cubic yards of concrete
1,700 tons of structural steel
10 acre Teflon-coated Fiberglas roof
18 large steel cables: vary 550 to 750 feet, weighing up to 15,000 lbs. each
10 - 75 hp fans and 15 - 100 hp fans
50 revolving doors
93 pressure balance doors

Super Bowl XVI (#16, 1982)
Pope John Paul II said mass for 93,682
Hulk Hogan body slammed and defeated Andre the Giant in front of 93,173.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Who_concert_disaster
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pontiac_Silverdome
https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2015/10/29/pontiac-silverdome-memories/74835284/

catman13

Occupation
refrigeration engineer/excavation contractor
next time they should call CDI inc and do it right

pajibson

Thats the best defense ever seen there. its about 10 minutes from me. I was out of town Sunday for the failed attempt but when they blew it again yesterday a little after 4 it sent me scrambling.