• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Silly Question

IsaacEssex

Occupation
Project Estimator
I never understood why a skidsteer would have foot controls to do something more complicated then the hand controls

CAT D7 man

I've been on about every brand of grader except JD. That sounds terrible. Wonder why ANY company would utilize such an unorthodox control layout. It sseems that to many of us, operating becomes second nature. Your body automatically responds to your brain's commands. Some design engineer, who has never ever operated such a machine, throws a curve ball at you because it's the easy solution for his design dilemma.

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
I ran a Huber Maintainer for years that had the blade hoist controls on the right hand and learned to like it.
My next job had a 470 JD with the conventional control arrangement and the mechanic offered to swap the hoses to put me at ease again:))
The downside to swapping the hoses is that you lose the float function that is built in to the valve body on the left hand controller.John Deere makes a kit to do the swap correctly if you wanted to buy it.
I did not run a grader much after I left Fort Leonard Wood so was out of touch over the years but it seemed so natural to have both control levers in the right hand to free up your other hand for sinful things like holding your pipe and slinging the drool out of it from time to time.Cough cough.Ron G

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
I had a heck of a time learning how to run a 953 after 15 years of running Bobcats with foot controls. Everything is backwards. Now I can jump from one to the next with no problem. I still prefer foot controls for skids, it's what I started on and don't want to change. I can't hardly hit the ground on a skid with joystick controls.

Piltownmax

It took me a day or so to get the hang of a bob cat. Its hard when the controls for the bucket are at your feet.

Greasypin

Occupation
mechanic
Ive been in almost every brand of skid steer out there first learned with a bobcat thought foot controls were the best thing ever, than i started helping a buddy and his dad on there farm than ran had a case 1840 and 1845 thought it was a little goofy having your feet just sit there and using your hands for it all my buddy thought the opposite he hated bobcat could never figure out the foot controls still hasnt to this day i found the case controls becoming way easier after a summer of moving hay bales. Worked a summer for another farmer that ran gehl t handles struggled and never got the hang of them thought it was a stupid same with cats pilot controls
later my buddy had the the 1840 burn up so purchased case 430 with the new joysticks effertless to operate loved them working now as a mechanic at a big landscape company they buy only bobcat have run a link belt backhoe felt normal to me bobcat backhoe for the front of skidsteer is a little weird just my two cents