• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Side Cutters...

ellrod

I don't think this one has the ISO/SAE changover valve but I will break the parts book out and look to see where it is located when I get a chance. A cat fellow looked at it few days ago and said he couldn't find it so it might not have one.
I will get a picture on the add on to the bucket when I think of it. I was down there today and never crossed my mind till I got back home. All I did was cut a piece of cardboard, laid it up to the bucket on the side, marked it, cut it and drawed the outline on 1/8' steel and cut it out with a plazma cutter, tacked it on and sharpened the top edge. I did take a mig and draw a beed down the cutting edge & sharpened it after I saw it was going to work. The 18' bucket is level now from back to front of the orignal bucket. It added about 2.5 to 3 inches in the center of the bucket where the curve is. I just spotted it to the bucket so if I trash it I can hit it with a grinder and put it back orignal but it is great in small roots & vines. ALSO on the thumb " I love it, I can root out a place on the bank where I am trying to widen or build a road and pick a rock up & place it where I want it. I guess if I were any good on one I could do that anyway huh..
Anyway thanks fellows & have a good weekend, it's time for me to go play Papaw for a while.
Bubba

Last edited:

bill5362

Occupation
I own a excavation company and a rolloff container
Strott depending on the type of work it might be well worth the money to put a thumb on your machine, I couldn't ever imagine having a machine without a thumb. This might just be the type of work we do, but I would be lost.

Country how do you like your new machine? Are you keeping the 442 busy?

strott

Occupation
Mini Excavator and dumper operator
Strott depending on the type of work it might be well worth the money to put a thumb on your machine, I couldn't ever imagine having a machine without a thumb. This might just be the type of work we do, but I would be lost.

Yeah, I may look at getting one which is stationary mounted and removeable e.g. the thumb doesn't move so you clamp items against it using the bucket.

Country

Occupation
Retired High Voltage Overhead Lineman
Hey Bill,
I'm happy with the 442 (especially with the deal I got), but I'm still trying to work the bugs out.
Got it starting a lot better, but now that it's getting warmer out, I'm having trouble with over heating....:Banghead
Maybe mine is a Lemon?...
It does run smooth and strong (as long as it doesn't get above 60 degrees outside)...

strott

Occupation
Hey Bill,
I'm happy with the 442 (especially with the deal I got), but I'm still trying to work the bugs out.
Got it starting a lot better, but now that it's getting warmer out, I'm having trouble with over heating....:Banghead
Maybe mine is a Lemon?...
It does run smooth and strong (as long as it doesn't get above 60 degrees outside)...

Is that a brand new machine?? - If so it sounds like you have a friday afternoon machine!!

Country

Occupation
It's an "06 with 200 hours on it....

landtekk

Country,
Have you actually checked to see if it was overheated ,cause my bobcat showed hot right after it was new and was a bad sensor.
After rereading your thread i get the imppression that it is heating up and running different. Scott

Country

Occupation
Yeah, I wish it was a sensor, but it's defiantly getting hot. Bobcat suggests turning down the hydro pump to it's minimum setting to see if that helps.... They think it may be turned up too high and that's over working the engine. We're going to put some gauges on it and see where it's set now.
I'm going to take it in later this week.

strott

Occupation
Do you know why the machine had so few hours on it when you bought it? - could it be that it was traded in due to these faults?

If the pump was turned up too high then surely the engine would hunt/struggle when doing the simplest of tasks and the machine would operate faster than others. You'll have to try and run your machine then jump on another 442 and see if it moves slower than yours or if the engine runs faster which could be another cause of overheating.

Country

Occupation
It was repo'd on "good terms" from a "long time regular customer"...
We're going to put a gauge on the pump and see what the pressures are.
No other machines to try and this is the only one I've ever run.

Country

Occupation
I babied it through the 1st job.
Luckily this work is only on the side for me.
If I was making my living with it, I wouldn't be so laid back and easy to get a long with at the dealer....

93turbo

Dang country I feel your pain only not as bad my machines not as new but still it hurts to buy a machine then have to turn around and work on it.

Strott if your machine already has the aux hydraulics plumbed in theres no point in building a stationary thumb it'll just end up being a hassle if your not using it exclusively. Otherwise no matter how small a machine I think a hydraulic thumb is a must my newest machine don't have one but I'm gonna build me one just as soon as I get a chance and once you use it you'll wonder why it took so long

strott

Occupation
Yeah my machine has auxilary lines plumbed up to the dipper arm so powering a hydraulic thumb isn't a problem - just not sure that I would want all the extra weight of another ram and thumb on the front end, however I could make it all removeable so it can go when not required.