• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Shopping for a wheel loader

fast_st

Occupation
IT systems admin
So running the grounds dept at a local sportsmens club, one tool we run the pants off of is the Kubota 75 horsey ag tractor, Now and again we're moving big piles of fill and doing a ton of bucket work, we've worn the cutting edge off as well as wore clean through the heel of the bucket, a new 2 piece cutting edge and a big chunk of hardox fixed the heel of the bucket, but its an ag tractor, it can maybe lift 3000 pounds and the break out force isn't huge. Its had a couple pistons bent and we cracked the main frame bracket so my thought is, look for a wheel loader.

At work there's a Big fookin Michigan loader that sounds like its running an 8v71T detroit, wow that sucker can sing while pushing snow, but anyway, I've run a Trojan 1500, and an old Nelson loader, nice and small and that might be about the size, maybe 2yd-3yd bucket nothing massive. My specs are in the works right now, are there any machines to flat out avoid, it almost sounds like with common transmissions and axles that they are all pretty reliable and easy to repair if needed. This machine will likely get about 20 hours a month and lead a pretty easy life.

Any good suggestions on places to find good deals? equipment dealers? municipal auctions?

Thanks again !

repowerguy

Occupation
mixer truck mechanic
The make or break is the proximity of the dealership. Even the best machine is going to need parts occasionally so consider the distance to get parts.

fast_st

Occupation
IT systems admin
The make or break is the proximity of the dealership. Even the best machine is going to need parts occasionally so consider the distance to get parts.
That's a good point, though we can do a lot of fab, welding and maintenance in house. Big problems like transmissions would make things pretty difficult to deal with. Setting a price of 16k on equipment finder seems to pull up a fair number and even some really big machines. They all seem to be about 1000 miles away.

repowerguy

Occupation
mixer truck mechanic
At a previous job the owners bought machinery with good results from Iron Planet. I think they have a policy that protects the buyer from misleading claims by the seller. Iron Clad I think it was called.
Sometimes old school networking with local dirt guys will yield good results, ask around and you may get a hit on a machine that someone can't afford anymore or just plain doesn't use much.

Volvopro

A Volvo L70 would do the job you want,would be fairly cheap and if you bought a tidy one would last forever working 20 hrs a month.

fast_st

Occupation
IT systems admin
Thanks, I'll check iron planet and keeping an eye out for an L70, Will also check the local municipalities for something that could fit our needs.

fast_st

Occupation
IT systems admin
I have found a couple nearby, a JD 544B, Dresser H90(e) and a Samsung 120 (volvo?) machine, all in a decent price range though the dresser is the heavy hitter. I'm thinking that the slightly older machines are a bit less complicated to repair and run the standard clark or allison transmissions etc. I've worked with an older loader and it was easy to tap into the hydraulics to add a winch and second hydraulic remote to the front, that would be a bonus but not a requirement.

Wes J

We have a John Deere 544 that we use for plowing snow. I like it a lot. It's made by Hitachi and the motor is Deere. I've picked up 10,000 lbs with the forks on the front of it.

oarwhat

Stay away from the 90E I really liked those loaders but parts are now beyond scarce . I had the 90C's and 15 years ago you could not get exhaust manifolds and elbows.

fast_st

Occupation
IT systems admin
What kind of parts tend to go? are parts like manifolds something specific to the loader or are they the same for other equipment with the same engine? I have worked on some really old hardware and found that all the big pieces were common items, so bearings and seals were a snap. Even seal saver kits to renew all the surfaces, and found that the air over hydraulic unit was the same in a 5t military truck. For small items like an elbow, I could see brazing it up and making it work whereas time is on our side.

oarwhat

The engine is an uncommon one so parts are rare and expensive. international 573 cu in V-8 The exhaust piping is definitively a weak link. the manifolds on the engine split. the piping to the turbo tor and the sealing rings then leak. I owned 2 and my buddy still has one and they all leaked bad. All ways patching them up.

repowerguy

Occupation
mixer truck mechanic
Dresser is basically a orphan brand since Komatsu abandoned the line a few years ago. Dresser made some decent and basic machines but without parts you can only go so long till it hits the scrap.

fast_st

Occupation
IT systems admin
Well that does make some sense, I suppose if it was my toy I'd not mind an old Dresser or Clark, but if I leave someone else will have to find parts so likely seems best to stick with Cat, JD, Komatsu, Volvo and such. What about Terex? still see some new Terex equipment about.

fast_st

Occupation
IT systems admin
Well after a bunch of shopping, it looks like Deere is good on availability and parts, We've found a couple 544 models, so likely will be the victim. Any experience with the value of oil sampling, I was thinking it would be good to do the axles, engine and hydraulic and possibly coolant, I think that covers most of the systems as it doesn't have geared hubs