• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

sevice truck (cold weather start ideas)???

farmerlund

Occupation
Farmer/ excavator
Not sure what type of Equipment you are starting, if you are starting loaders, dozers and excavators on a regular basis. spend the money and mount a proheat on it.

http://www.proheat.com

They will warm engine and hyd oil at same time. uses fuel from the diesel tank right on the machine. Only takes 10-15 minutes. I think if you are staring big equipment in a remote location it the only way to go.

OFF

Occupation
HD Mechanic
Espar or webasto heaters are the best way to go. Program the timer and the engine will be warm in an hour and ready to go to work when you get there. You can run the hot coolant through tubes in the hydraulic tank too for even better results. It's amazing how much heat they put out on very little fuel.
I run an Espar air heater in my work trailer controlled by a thermostat. It works great. Maximum fuel use is 1/3 of a litre an hour.

The Espar diesel fired coolant heater is really catching on around here too. It's made huge gains since equipment started to come with those dam modern (tier 4) engines that can't be left idling for long periods of time. On machines that don't work hard enough to heat up, we leave the Espar running all the time during the work day. Tier 4 engines won't go into regen if the temperature isn't up. They can go all winter and never complete a regen.......and that's not good. You pay for that later.

For emergency cold weather starts, we try to use a Herman/Nelson type heater blowing hot air on the engine. Using the starter as a block heater can be expensive, and the old "tiger torch in the stove pipe" under the engine can have undesirable results as well.

Last edited:

earthscratcher

Occupation
excavating contractor
wow, did not realize tier 4 regen problems in cold weather, lots of good ideas from block heaters to programmable diesel fired units,anything has be better then firing up on ether!!

GaryHoff

Occupation
Heavey Equipment Mechanic
Espar heaters are what we use on all the equipment. They are about $1000 for a 5kw kit. You can get timers that you send a text message to make them start.
The problem we had is operators forget/don't know how to set the 7 day timer. A generator and block heaters would be more economical, if the equipment is always parked together.

I'm assuming your already doing this, but winter oils will also help with the cold starts. I use 5w40 in the engines. In high load applications, I have heard of spinning a main bearing with 0w40, but have not personally ever seen it.

In regards to coolant cross contamination, most standard coolants are ethylene glycol, which are generally ok to mix. The newer machines and trucks are all coming with oat coolant, which is they say turns to jello when mixed with standard coolant. I think dexcool that all GM's use is a oat coolant.

Last edited:

Truck Shop

The coolant Heaters do work well, But if you don't have that option I've found using a torch with a lazy flame to heat the air in the intake the fastest way.
It's never failed for me. Providing you have good fuel. When cold I always do it this way before ever trying to crank it.

Truck Shop

simonsrplant

Occupation
Heavy Duty Off Road RSE
Known espar heater be troublesome... There is a fuel heater option or add on to pre heat the fuel. Without it, below minus 20 they won't ignite. Aside that, a very good bit of kit.
If mains electricity or a big gen set is an option, as well as block heaters, oil pan head pads work very well (sometimes too well!) and not just on the engine, on hydraulic tanks and transmissions.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
old iron, thanks for the info,do you ever have problems with cracking heads with this application??

We have never had a problem with any engine doing this. Our old Ford woods truck has heated other engines thousands of times over the years before we finally parked it.

Former Wrench

Occupation
Retired
January of 89 saw a cold snap on the Kenai Peninsula where the temp would drop about 10 degrees every night and that would be the next day’s high temp until it got to the minus 60’s and stayed that way for 3 weeks. To get my old Ford PU going I would point it toward the road and put it in first gear when I shut it off. In the morning I would take a cookie sheet and put charcoal briquettes that I got going and slide them under the engine. I would take about ½ for the engine to turn over and run. It was miserable for the 3 weeks and interesting how much stuff either breaks or does not work when it is that cold.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
A rancher friend in N.D. has a remote off road feedlot where he keeps a loader tractor for feeding. He buried a 55 gal barrel underground that he has filled with antifreeze. He parks his tractor by it and when its real cold he hooks up his quick couplers and circulates 54 degree ground heated water thru his tractor via a 12volt pump. He sometimes has to ride a snowmobile out there when they have snowstorms. A few minutes of circulation and it starts like a fall day. Always another way to skin a cat.

Knepptune

I dk how bad this is but pointing my wife's hair dryer into the intake for few minutes before cranking seems to always make them start. I swear it works better then starting fluid.

My dad talks about draining the oil and putting in a pan on top of their wood stove when he was a kid. He also said he remembers my grandpa hooking 24v to a 12v starter. He always says those engines acted acted like they couldn't wait to start once you ran 24v to the starter. Can't imagine doing that to any of today's equipment. Starting would be the least of your concerns at that point.

maddog

ol'stonebreaker ; I was thinking the same thing, seems to be a fairly cheap and easy solution. When I lived in the Adirondacks I could heat up an engine within an hour or so even on the coldest of days.

jjimbo

Occupation
Field mechanic/ owner operator
I'm with you willey.. here in SC its going to be 79* on X-mas..
besides.. I don't work when its cold.. I don't work when its hot.. and I don't work in the rain.. LOL

I like that work schedule. I think that out here in the desert of so cal I maybe able to live most of the year.

Randy88

Get a Hilton cordless heater that burns LP gas and hook it up to your truck, use 20 or 30 lb barbeque cylinders and hook two together for extra capacity and have a auto switching valve on the tanks, should run and keep the engine warm for a week to a week and a half nonstop, takes a few milliamps of power off the battery once the catalyst is hot in the heater. On a cold day, it'll take about an hour or two to heat the engine till the thermostat kicks in to allow hot water to flow into the radiator.

If you have a generator on the truck anyhow, the second option is to put a 220 volt tank heater on, as large of one as you can get, hook up also a hot water 110 volt pump from a house, cheap and easy, put a hand valve in line to control the pump flow, to keep the heater kicked in on high and wire the whole thing up so your generator can run it, takes about 15 minutes and your engine is hot and ready to go, have this exact setup on one of my machines we run in the winter, slickest setup ever and won't drain your battery on your truck or machine at all.

With the Hilton cordless heater, you can run it for weeks at a time and have no real drain on the battery, with the diesel heaters, that's the reason for the timer, they suck a lot of battery power to run them and you have to start the engine and recharge the batteries, work great but a major drawback if you wait too long or you run them too much, your battery is dead and nothing runs or starts. Some of the units on semi's even have their own engine on them to run them, just for this reason.

If the LP cylinders are hooked to the heater, the dot can't do anything to you as long as they are dot cylinders, which baroque grill tanks are, we also use a weed burner from a cylinder to shoot hot air at the intakes of cold engines to start them in a hurry if need be, far handier than a salamander heater for sure and doesn't require electricity.

Where we have several machine at one site, with multiple LP heaters going, some machines don't have a lp tank mounted on them, just the heater, we use air hoses and quick couplers and park the machines close enough and then hook several machines to a pair of tanks to keep them warm overnight or over the weekend, as long as there is LP gas in the tanks, your fine, once they run empty, the heater will try to fire till the battery is dead.

On one of machines I have this setup on, we have two batteries hooked up to it, one for the heater, one to start the machine, that way if one goes dead on the heater, my other one is still good to start the machine, we have a one way diode setup off the alternator to charge both batteries but won't drain both batteries if that makes sense.

HDMRice

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Tech
Seems many of the Alberta folk are commenting about the diesel fired coolant heaters. I'd have to throw my vote under those as well. They are pretty easy to install - I've done several at this point - and they are very reliable. The heaters do seem to be necessary in this region on T4 equipment, as I've had to do a few service regens on ADT's that have been left idling all night in -20C or greater. Customers never enjoy that, as the service regens can take 3-5 hours to do.

For frozen machines, I use a propane tiger torch with a long length of 5' or so thin walled pipe with a 90 degree bend at one end. The flame gets no where near the frozen bits, but all the heat is directed to where it needs to go. I've got stuff going in -40c with that method pretty easy.

I haven't seen or heard of circulating coolant from your truck to the machines, but it seems like an interesting idea. I think I'd prefer to go the route of an espar, though, as its self contained on the machine itself, and will gradually warm it up.

OFF

Occupation
HD Mechanic
That Hilton heater sounds interesting, I'll be looking into those. Thanks. Only issue I see with them is finding a location to mount a 20lb propane bottle on smaller machines.

Randy88

Off, we have a couple on machines I don't have a place to mount the tank, so we use quick couplers for air hoses and hook the heater up on the machine, run the gas hose with a quick coupler on the end up into the cab or on the platform somewhere and just before we shut down for the night, sit a tank in the cab or wherever and hook up the hose with the quick coupler and open the tank, turn on the heater and let it heat up drawing juice off the battery when the engine is still running, after the heater element kicks out, which usually takes about five to ten minutes, the catalyst is hot and then the only electricity that's needed is to keep the gas solenoid open which is a few milliamps of power. Once its heating shut the engine off and your done for the night, in the morning, shut the heater off with a toggle switch and close the valve on the tank, unhook the quick coupler and put the tank in your pickup and use the machine, only hook up the tank when you need the heater, otherwise its in the truck or whatever you bring to the job site.

A 20 lbs cylinder will last for days, can't recall the amount they burn per hour, but its not much, 40-60 hours per 20 lb cylinder or something like that, I use two 30 lb cylinders mostly, so its weeks they'll run without worry, or if your only going to use them overnight, I can usually refill once or twice a month is all. To keep dirt out of the quick coupler, we use another blank end to hook up with a plug in it, never had an issue yet with any of them I have, we've also used quick couplers on the heater hoses and moved the heater from one machine to another and just use clips to hook to the battery instead of hard wiring the harness into the machine.

I use the RV tank auto changer to hook two tanks together, once one is empty it automatically switches tanks for me, that way one is empty before the next one gets used, makes refilling tanks much nicer. I've hooked up a couple tanks before and left it heat for over a week in bad weather when I wasn't sure when I would get back to the machine and use it. Otherwise it takes about three hours from starting the heater on the cold engine to 150 plus degree's on the engine if I wait till I get to the machine to start the heater up, takes about an hour and half to get the engine warm enough to start though if your in a hurry.

Google Hilton cordless heater, can't recall the guy there that you need to talk to, but he's about the only one there to answer questions, pretty sure he owns the operation anyhow, he can answer any question you have about them. The last I knew, they made two models, both were identical but one had more catalyst inside it, they called it the high output heaters, those are the one's I have, can't recall the cubic inches they'll heat but its far overkill for my needs but they work great.

Decades ago, a similar unit had a spark plug in them, worked on the same principle but these catalyst heaters are by far much better, virtually nothing to go wrong but a gas valve.

I've been told there are remote places that have standby generators that keep the engines warm 24/7/365 with these heaters, hook them up a 500 gallon lp tank and a solar battery charger/maintainer and when the power goes down, the engines are always warm and ready to go, not dependent on any electricity at all, that way anytime they can start and run/check the engine and the heaters never shut off, quite a few LP delivery trucks in my area have them on as well, never shut them off and tap into the vapor side of the truck's main tank to feed them. A few sawmills do the same thing with their stuff, then at the end of the day, drive up beside a large 500-1000 gallon tank, hook all the heaters up to a single manifold and there are no tanks on any machine, just depends on what your needs are. Best of luck.

Seabass

Things I do for dealing with cold,

Make sure battery's are full of water and fully charged, charging system is proper.

a small propane/butane hand held torch in the intake helps a lot, or wifes hair dryer, was mentioned.

10w-30 instead of 15/40, never tried t6 synthetic but im sure that would be another route, just more $.

I have some 3inch? inch pipe with a 90 degree bend, about 3 feet long on the ground with a base welded together, a tiger torch fits inside and you can warm up engines, oil pans that way. And you can adjust the heat/flame output.