• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Setting up a web site page?

Dickjr.

I have been at war with YP advertising over some of the auto renewal policies and adjusting of my account and billing me when I was not asked to approve it. Anyway task at hand , rather use the book , which I don't think any one uses much anymore , I want to set up a web site. Most people I know go to the computer or device of sorts for information. I looked at web builder sites like go daddy ( Danica helped that ) but I am unsure of those. I called a web designer that has done some for others around here , but they want 1000$ to set up a simple 1 page that tells my business info and what I do. I thought that was too much. I'm looking for recommendations to get this done.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
I agree, get rid of YP. Don't like how they do business and that's from my experience, sounds like your experience was similar.

GoDaddy is a great resource to build a simple website and is inexpensive compared to web designers but you do get what you pay for. You can build it yourself and their hosting fees are not expensive. It depends on if you want a flashy site or just a basic site that identifies your company in an easy to read, simple manner.

If you want to drive traffic to your site and be at the top of the search engines that's where a savvy web marketing person is worth the money.

What do you want the website to do for you? Gain new business from people searching for the services you provide or to provide a reference for the work you do?

A $1000 for a simple one page website is ridiculous IMO.

lantraxco

I use Yahoo, which is more or less trouble free, at a reasonable monthly rate. I have hear good things about www.WIX.com and looked at moving there, but have not as of yet.

Dickjr.

I'm wanting to gain new business from people wanting to move in the area. I told the YP people that I was going to do a website and they said that going with them was the only way to get traffic due to the phone/ internet connection. If you all had several hours I could give you an earful on my saga with YP. I'd like to grow my business , I have some dead weight that is probably getting the ax. I need enough volume to sustain it but not enough that I can't keep my hands on what's going on. I have better relations with individual customers than I do with most contractors. Contractors wimp and cry about everything you do , want it for nothing and they want to charge premiums. I've done better by individual customers. This is why I think the site will help some.

Oxbow

I started out with WEB.com. They were good to deal with but I ended up having a fellow that had done web sites for acquaintances refine my web site, and host it. It costs me $120 per year, and $60 per hour for him to make changes. He is very efficient if I am concise about the changes that I want made, and if I remember correctly I was into it less than $300 on the initial site construction.

One thing to be careful of; when I left WEB.com I learned that they owned my domain name, not me. So when I changed I had to come up with a new domain name, or rather a variant of what I originally had. This may not be a big deal to some, and with search engines if a person is close the options will appear, but it is certainly worth looking into before subscribing to a service. I now own the new domain name.

JNB

Occupation
Flyin' low and rollin' slow...
I built mine on go daddy. Used their template but changed it to suit my business. I like it since I can update and tweak it anytime I want. It ranks #1 or close to the top of the page in all of the areas I service. I subscribe to a newsletter/blog written by a web guy by the name of Darren Slaughter. He specializes in contractor type sites and following his advice really helped my ranking.

Fastdirt

I closed my web.com last week because of the headache of trying to get the layout I wanted and a lot of times the template would have a glitch and they seemed limited to me. I had them for three years and was just getting frustrated with the website builder. I gave it many chances and plenty of time. I was doing the build it yourself website. Before cancelling I was told I owned my domain name for 60 days after cancellation. I asked that question more than once before cancelling and was told the domain name was mine for 60 days. I hope so because I used my company name for the domain. I read in a couple of posts here that Wix is good so I think I'll give them a shot and hope it works out. I'll find out real quick about the domain name ownership.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I use GoDaddy to host my site and hired a local web builder to build it. I am really happy with the arrangement. They help with the new content and video clips that I add and change. There is a bit of a science to making the site easy to find and smart phone compatible and so forth. Certainly it can be done on your own, I preferred not to have to educate myself in the matter. I paid $1200 for my entire site. $1k for a page is ridiculous.

Fastdirt

I use GoDaddy to host my site and hired a local web builder to build it. I am really happy with the arrangement. They help with the new content and video clips that I add and change. There is a bit of a science to making the site easy to find and smart phone compatible and so forth. Certainly it can be done on your own, I preferred not to have to educate myself in the matter. I paid $1200 for my entire site. $1k for a page is ridiculous.

I'd say you got your money's worth because that is a great site. I like how you can click on each specialty and it shows a quick video. Looks good and shows you are the real deal!

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
Thanks! Spending the money on a professional website was one of the best marketing decisions I have made.

Dickjr.

Looks good , now I feel like I need to spend more money to get something better. KSSS do you think it has helped to get more work as well as better jobs?

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
There is no question. Just last week some investors in Cali called about some mulching in the mountains at a resort it is about 300 acres in total. I don't have the work yet, but I would never even have a chance without them being able to see me on the web. We have a meeting in May when the snow is gone. This sort of thing is common. I have reduced or eliminated all my yellowpage ads to basically push everything to my website and complete the sale there on the website. Personally, I would go big and swing for the fence on the website. You will get every dollar back X10. My thoughts on the website are if you skimp on it that is evident to the end user, that doesn't speak well. Get the most site you can for what you have to spend on it. If you want I will PM the contact for the people that did mine.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I started out with WEB.com. They were good to deal with but I ended up having a fellow that had done web sites for acquaintances refine my web site, and host it. It costs me $120 per year, and $60 per hour for him to make changes. He is very efficient if I am concise about the changes that I want made, and if I remember correctly I was into it less than $300 on the initial site construction.

One thing to be careful of; when I left WEB.com I learned that they owned my domain name, not me. So when I changed I had to come up with a new domain name, or rather a variant of what I originally had. This may not be a big deal to some, and with search engines if a person is close the options will appear, but it is certainly worth looking into before subscribing to a service. I now own the new domain name.

I had that happen with the first website I had done by a national company. I had my current website built and they basically held my domain name hostage, I wont even say what was going through my mind, when they told me what they wanted for my own name. I am square now though. That wont happen again.