• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Seat wear indicates 1200 hours, or more?

John Canfield

Occupation
Ranching
This dozer (1999 model) I'm looking at on the Internet is listed at 1200 hours with a working hour meter and most of the pictures point to that being a realistic time (pins and bushings haven't been turned), but the machine has been repainted :rolleyes: so it's hard to tell what kind of life it really had.

Attached (I hope) is a picture of the seat which to me looks like it has been sat in for more than 1200 hours (or maybe not?) Maybe the seat wasn't that great to begin with... What do ya'll think?

John

Attachments

• dozerSeat.jpg
    dozerSeat.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 622

td25c

Like cummins05 said it's hard to tell hours from the seat condition on an open station tractor.I dont pay much attention to the hour meter,Look at the wear on the controls,foot pedals,blade ,etc.

pafarmer

Occupation
Land clearing, demo, site prep etc. Ex Pro Motocro
John,
Look like you need some help. The seat on an open cab dozer will only tell you the machine has been exposed to the elements. What is really important is the undercarriage and working of the dozer. Leaking hydraulics, damage, motor oil leaks etc. What you need to find is an equipment man. For a small fee, one can consult for you and for a larger fee actually view the machine in a shop. The bottom line is an knowledgeable operator or machanic can literally save you your weight in gold is you don't know enough to make an educated purchase. These machines require mantanence and care or they can be a huge money pit for a novice. If your really dedicated to a purchase then your choices are to find someone who know heavy equipemnt or educate yourself. The later option is far more expensive but will be a lesson you will soon not forget. Good Luck

Last edited:

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
A better indicator would be the exhaust stack. The curve on the end usually burns out a 6 to 7 thousand hours. You also usually get holes in the muffler as well.

Vinyl upholstery gets sunburned in the summer and frozen in the winter and turns hard. It splits in the corners just like the subject machine.

Undercarriage is a reliable check sometimes but it could have been changed more than once. I do look at older machines with lots of skepticism. Who would spend many thousands of dollars and then only run the machine 1,200 hours in eleven years. The hour meter is wrong until someone proves that it is correct.

Good Luck!

John Canfield

Occupation
Ranching
Thanks - good advice! The machine is on Iron Planet so there are some good pictures and evaluations - I wasn't sure if the report matched the seat wear. Like looking at a car or truck - perfect on the outside, 20,000 miles on the odometer but the floor mats and brake pedal pad are worn through.

I don't trust anybody except my wife :tong

Alaska Dan

Occupation
I make a line of holsters and other gun related pr
My 1980 TD8 was advertised to have 1350 hours. That's hard to believe but it was being sold by the original owner. And everything was consistant with low hours - The blade, UC, pads, feded original paint, good exhaust stack, AND upholstery. There were no cracks or rips in the seat or arm rest. The vinyl looked like new, except for weathering.

As other have said, the overal condition is important and upholstery is just one consideration. I have been in the upholstery business most of my life. Others have said it better than I can. Check carefully the overall condition and TEST FLUID SAMPLES. It will cost about $120.

Dan

John Canfield

Occupation
Ranching
Hi Dan - we've been through Wasilla - spent the summer of 2006 in Alaska messing around. Thinking about going back next summer. Silver salmon - Yummmm!

This particular dozer has had oil and transmission fluid analysis done recently and they look okay (fluid analysis is excellent for trending, but as far as one point in time, it is less useful, but still - nothing jumps out on the analysis.) I'm still having a hard time with the idea of buying something that expensive sight-unseen.

The seat condition bothers me still and the fact the dozer has been repainted doesn't help either. Of course if it was sitting out in the weather all the time, that doesn't help and there could have been a big old boy jumping in and out of the seat for 1200 hours.

Thanks for the reply..

John