• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Sears selling off Craftsman

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Something just came to me as amusing. In the past the milkman used to deliver fresh milk to your door. Times changed and that service was rendered outdated as grocery stores sprang up with everything you needed in one place. The concept of delivering groceries to you door was "outdated".

Fast forward to today and home delivery is taking over brick and mortar stores once again.:cool2

The concept is the same it's just technology has made it more efficient. As most things in life there's very few "new" concepts, they're just re-vamped concepts of the past.

My bread and butter is retail and restaurant projects. I'm watching how this plays out on the retail side and we shall see. The good thing is people still want to go out to restaurants so that market should stay stable.

The flip side in the decline of storefront retail stores is the uptick in industrial/warehouse demand from E-commerce companies. There is growth in the industrial/warehouse market.

http://nreionline.com/industrial/e-retailing-boosts-industrial-demand

Interesting times no doubt.

Last edited:

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
CM1995, your comment on the restaurants is kind of funny because around here people were trying to do the gourmet boxed meals. Call in your order on the way home, stop at the store front and pick up the ingredients and go home and cook them. Problem was people didn't pick up that kind of food to have to do the cooking and cleaning as well. Most of those places are already gone now.

ScottAR

How often do you loose the sale because you will not match the price?

I don't have an exact answer but not very often. Hard to wait 3-5 days on a job when a jerk counterman is waving the part in your face. ;)

It is increasing slowly. I should add all these are walk in customers. The shops don't have the time to wait. We've always been a commercial heavy store and it's also increasing as cars grow more complicated.