• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Screaming Jimmy

Wyoming

Occupation
Retired
The first scraper I ran was a three axel Euclid ts40 as I recall. It had a V12 71 series Detroit Diesel engine in front and a V8 71 series in the rear. The rear engine had twin stacks that were curved at the top so they pointed at the scraper following.

It was a highball job (as are most) and we often were almost end to end from the cut to the fill and back. The noise from following a screaming Jimmy for 8 or 10 hours that close was unreal even with earplugs, I have a hearing problem today because of that job ouch!

The seat was on a steel post with no ride cushioning other than the seat pad, that is why my back hurts now days! There was a point in time on that job that we loaded under a belt, all we had was a ROP cage and just breathing while loading was a job in itself! The dirt and dust just poured down our shirts into our pants and well you know, it was not a pretty site!

At times we would get to much material loaded and couldn't open the apron in the fill. The only way to get it open was to bounce the pan with the raise lower lever while pumping the apron lever at the same time. More than once I had a hydraulic hose break on me right at my control's and would be sprayed with hot hydraulic fluid, it happened to everyone that was on the job for a long period of time. The hydraulic fluid combined with the dust and by the end of they day I/we didn't even look like people anymore.

Anyway I cant find a picture of one, the closest I have found is shown below. If anyone has a picture of one of these beasts I sure would like to see it.

machine.jpg

Grader4me

If anyone has a picture of one of these beasts I sure would like to see it.

After reading your post I wouldn't even want to see a picture of it :eek: Ahhh the good old days :drinkup Now us old farts are paying the price due to what we had to run in the past. I've never run a scraper but I can relate to what you're saying.

OCR

Occupation
Rancher/Farmer, Wildland Fire Fighter, State snowp
Screaming Jimmy:

Good job with the links there, Vantage_TeS.... :thumbsup

OCR

EZ TRBO

Occupation
Aggregate Utility, Maintence Welder
I'm only 24 and am already seeing the effects(from my hearing report) of spending my high school days on the John Deere 860 with the 671. It had what looked like a muffler but sure didn't muffle anything. My grandpa, tween running that and the old Murphy on our lime mill bout has him deaf but hes 86 as well so has some years in.

It was loud and rough but I still loved running it all day long.

Trbo

Wyoming

Occupation
Retired
Are you looking for a TS40 (single bowl) or a TSS40 (double bowl)?

Page 69 has some TSS40s: http://books.google.com/books?id=oy...=X&oi=book_result&resnum=1&ct=result#PPA69,M1

Page 34 has another double bowl TSS40: http://books.google.com/books?id=Ms...X&oi=book_result&resnum=10&ct=result#PPA34,M1

Was the TS40 the same thing but just a single bowl?

I am looking for a TS 40 I think, it may of been called a TSS40 but in any case it was a single bowl, it was a three axel scraper. Now that I have been reading the forums I think it had a V16 in front and a V8 in the rear. This was way back in 1966 so I may have forgotten a "S" and a few cylinders.... LOL

Last edited:

Wyoming

Occupation
Retired
They are similar to a cat 660/666 I believe. Tractor with two axles up front and then the scraper bowl and a single axle in the rear?

https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=10707&d=1199494214

Yes they are very similar, I cant believe they are all gone. There was a bunch of them in the 60-70's but I sure cant find a picture of one now, its weird I tell ya!

I did order the book "Colossal Earthmovers" from the link you posted above, Thanks :notworthy.

Iron Horse

We have a Jimmy over here that's pretty loud , Jimmy Barnes that is . "Working class man" at full noise will send anyone deaf :D.

OCR

Occupation
Rancher/Farmer, Wildland Fire Fighter, State snowp
Jimmy Barnes:

We have a Jimmy over here that's pretty loud , Jimmy Barnes that is . "Working class man" at full noise will send anyone deaf :D.
Yup... he does have some cords.
Vocal... that is... LOL

Just now listened to a couple on YouTube.... Actually fairly good.

OCR

Wyoming

Occupation
Retired

Dug Overburden

Occupation
trucker
Screaming Jimmy (Euclid TSS40 scraper)

Hi there Mr Wyoming,

The scraper you are talking about sounds like a Euclid TSS40. In Euclid model numbers callled A 43LDT-54SH. I have found a picture & some info on pages #50 & 51 in the book Euclid & Terex EARTH-MOVING MACHINES author is Eric c Orleman & published by motorbooks international in 1997.It may be out of print, but this book is must for any fan of Green Iron. This is my favorite book & I have read it from cover to cover 3 times as well as using it for reference many times. I'll see if I can scan the picture & post it.

The picture on page # 28 shows a TSS-40 eq # 384-S being pushed by two TC12's & the picture on page # 51 shows a TSS-40 #387-S on a haul road. Both are painted in Western Contracting Corps yellow. I'm sure you don't remember the Eq#'s, but these photos show the Eq#'s must have been 384-S to 387-S. The pictures show that the rear stacks are curved, are you sure it did not have a 16V71 in the tractor?(In both pictures the machines have no rops)

Here's the info;
The TSS-40 (49LDT-54SH) was a special-order model built for Western Contracting Corp in March 1963. TSS-40 was powered by a GM diesel 16V-71 in the tractor & a GM diesel 8V-71 in the rear scraper unit,with a power output totaling 810 gross horsepower.The scraper was rated at 40 yards struck & 52 yards heaped. Factory records indicate that four TSS-40 units were built for Western.

Dug O.

.-QUOTE=Wyoming;109553]The first scraper I ran was a three axel Euclid ts40 as I recall. It had a V12 71 series Detroit Diesel engine in front and a V8 71 series in the rear. The rear engine had twin stacks that were curved at the top so they pointed at the scraper following.

It was a highball job (as are most) and we often were almost end to end from the cut to the fill and back. The noise from following a screaming Jimmy for 8 or 10 hours that close was unreal even with earplugs, I have a hearing problem today because of that job ouch!

The seat was on a steel post with no ride cushioning other than the seat pad, that is why my back hurts now days! There was a point in time on that job that we loaded under a belt, all we had was a ROP cage and just breathing while loading was a job in itself! The dirt and dust just poured down our shirts into our pants and well you know, it was not a pretty site!

At times we would get to much material loaded and couldn't open the apron in the fill. The only way to get it open was to bounce the pan with the raise lower lever while pumping the apron lever at the same time. More than once I had a hydraulic hose break on me right at my control's and would be sprayed with hot hydraulic fluid, it happened to everyone that was on the job for a long period of time. The hydraulic fluid combined with the dust and by the end of they day I/we didn't even look like people anymore.

Anyway I cant find a picture of one, the closest I have found is shown below. If anyone has a picture of one of these beasts I sure would like to see it.

[/QUOTE]

Iron Horse

I like your Jimmy Barns m8 he is much easer to listen to than the "Screaming Jimmy" for sure. I have friends in Brisbane and Perth are you anywhere near those places?

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Jimmy+Barnes&search_type=&aq=-1&oq=

G'day Wyoming , i am 220 miles South (towards Sydney) of Brisbane .

Being a 2 stroke , they certainly have a sound of their own . I used to drive an Atkinson with an 892TTA @ 475hp . Man it had some power , back in the 80's it was awsome .

Wyoming

Occupation
Retired
Here's the info;
The TSS-40 (49LDT-54SH) was a special-order model built for Western Contracting Corp in March 1963. TSS-40 was powered by a GM diesel 16V-71 in the tractor & a GM diesel 8V-71 in the rear scraper unit,with a power output totaling 810 gross horsepower.The scraper was rated at 40 yards struck & 52 yards heaped. Factory records indicate that four TSS-40 units were built for Western.

That is some good information Dug thanks I will see if I can get the book! I was working for Western contracting (1966) building I-5 south of Gorman California when I ran it so that fits as well. I cant imagine how nosy it was to see one of these beasts being pushed by two TC12's ouch. If there was only four built that would explain why finding a pic is so difficult.