• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

scraper/dirt pan questions

treemover

We currently have a cat 65c and 15c reynolds pan, we have a job coming online this summer and need another machine. I like our current setup, small, maneuverable and cat is pretty reliable, downside, small, can't pull when turning , mud sucks.

Should i find a comparable setup or find an ag tractor vs challenger?
i do not have any experience running a traditional scraper, would i be better off finding one of these?
we will be into topsoil, med-heavy clay and then a loose clay mix

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
How many yards total?

treemover

60-65,000 1500 or less haul. stock pile topsoil, stock pile clay, build berms with crap bottom dirt. line berms with topsoil and line pond with clay. so we may be touching 110,000 yards

AzIron

It matters to know how crappy the bad dirt is if it will hold up a scraper

Problem with cat scrapers or wabcos is they dont like mud and if your doing just cans like a 31 or 51 they need a push cat to work efficiently and you need more than one on the job to be efficient with a dozer

I would suggest an articulated tractor on tracks if its muddy

Shimmy1

60-65,000 1500 or less haul. stock pile topsoil, stock pile clay, build berms with crap bottom dirt. line berms with topsoil and line pond with clay. so we may be touching 110,000 yards
Yikes. 110k yards on a 1000' haul? You need more than 2 rigs.

ShaneK

I've heard KanEquip has the reputation for scraper knowledge in the state. Should be able to point you in the right direction for a successful project there.

DoyleX

Occupation
Lever Puller, Gear Jammer, Pipe Twister
Your little setup is economical and you know what it can and cant do.

Even the "scraper special" ag tractors eat transmissions and drivetrain. They dont float either

terex herder

If you are close to the east side of the state, Snydenstricker in Missouri has rental pans and tractors, and has a guy thats pretty knowledgeable on them.

lantraxco

If you can't run efficiently because it's too soft, excavators to load and rubber tracked carriers in an endless loop. Swamp cat to push it in.