• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Sarge, (Case 1150B) will not lift loader past level!

Don Harward

OK, my 1150 loader won't lift a bucket of dirt. In fact it will barely lift the weight of the loader. Now this happened pretty much all at once. I was working a big pile of dirt that I had heaped up with the Kobelco pulling one load at a time and using it to track in the dam of a new pond. I pull into the pile low gear and raise and curl, just like a thousand other times, but this time, with a bull bucket, the thing won't lift anything!
Imagine that an old Case breaking down...That is sure unusual! (Not)

So I pull the side panel to get to the pressure control valve and the SCV's and hook up my trusty hydraulic gage.

Note: This is totally old school! The only computer this thing ever had was the old apple phone that was sitting on the tracks which I forgot to remove when I took off one day...another story

So I lift and roll back to stall and the gage only shows 600 psi! It is supposed to show around 2200 psi.

Anyone ever seen this or has all of these machines been relegated to museums? Personally I like keeping the old thing alive and working. Its a beast when it runs.

Thinking O-ring in the pressure control valve.
Could be the pump, but all at once??? Doesn't seem as likely to me

Ideas? Comments? Criticisms? Advice?

Attachments

• DSCN2200 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN2200 (Medium).JPG
    289.3 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_6408 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_6408 (Medium).JPG
    204.5 KB · Views: 38

Ronsii

Occupation
s/e Heavy equipment operator
relief stuck open.... broken spring on relief.... could be a lot of things.

where and how did you hook the pressure gauge to get the 600psi reading? and did you check else where to make sure the pump is giving out what it should?

Don Harward

IMG_6775 (Medium).JPG IMG_6774 (Medium).JPG The gage was hooked up to the 1/8" NPT outlet on the bottom of the PCV which was designated by the maintenance manual.
I didn't get into testing the pump yet. With the sudden loss, it points to an O ring or spring or something like that
Frankly, the machine is 50 miles away and it has been pretty cold, so I haven't removed the valve stack yet to bring home to analyze

I was floating the problem out there to see it if might be something normal for this series.
But this series is now so old (1975) that experience on it is bound to be on the decline...

Attachments

• IMG_6780 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_6780 (Medium).JPG
    148.2 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
You more than likely stuck a relief or a cylinder overpressure bypass. Try the same reading on bucket curl or full dump to the locks then try again on raise lower. If does it on all four cycles then a system relief most likely as most pumps either die SLOWLY or completely all at once not as noted.

Don Harward

Appreciate the response

The test I displayed was with the joystick in both raise and curl back until lock. When the cylinder hit the stops curling, I was getting the 600 + reading you see.

I had the whole thing rebuild a couple years ago. Undercarriage, transmissions, final drives, cylinders, the PCV and the SCVs, new lines, alternator, starter, all rubber, radiator, synthetic fluids, and with that tower valve thing that shifts the transmissions.
I just went a little crazy on the thing because I like those 1150's

So it may be that one of the new O-rings let go or something like that

When the weather warms I'll get back on it.

With the new SVL95 I just purchased now in service, this old "Sarge" will get relegated to the bigger jobs.

Bls repair

Occupation
Equipment operator,mechanic
I agree with pressure relief problem . Had many old machines hoses flake apart internally and get caught in the relief ,holding it open.

Delmer

The two hex things coming out the top of the valve bank are circuit reliefs. The two coming out the bottom are circuit reliefs also. Look for a similar hex "cap" on the valve bank, or find it in the manual. Take that main relief valve out and inspect it. You might not find what's wrong because a piece can fall back in when the spool releases pressure. If there's nothing obvious wrong, put it back together. Keep track of the threads or number of turns of the adjustable part to get it close when you put it back.

You don't want to remove that whole valve bank, way too much work, too much dirt, and too much to go wrong.

Don Harward

Well, sort of
I'm healing up fine
Shortly after I posted all this I fell all wrong and blew my knee apart
I had surgery last Friday
It is healing up fast
Soon...I hope I'll be back on it soon!

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Man I hear ya, still finding faults as to what I have done AFTER my surgeries as to over doing, falling when should have NOT been working etc. Am nursing a bad right side Sacrum Iliac joint dislocated now(tailbone to right pelvic/hip bone) and not trying to anger it any more than have to. Set and stretched a 1/4 mile of four strand barb wire eight months after having lower back surgery, cannot remember falling down so often & so hard in my life and I believe I did that then. Of course I am OLD to boot so that did not help matters.

Take your time get healed before stress anything hard.

Don Harward

I'm getting aged as well. Had a hard life, 30 years military, a lot of that in special operations. Broke my back twice, leg, shot up and crashed during desert storm, bunch of surgeries, went down in a little bird near the DMZ of Korea, five plus years of actual combat deployment in the latest fun spots, and of course never shied away from the challenge, don't now. It will kill me someday, but who cares, not everyone makes it off the PZ. Then again not everyone gets to live so many "Rocking chair stories." I actually wrote a book about some of that stuff that happened along the way from the birth canal to that white horse drawn ride at Arlington I'll get someday. I know my savior personally, so even though I'm in the extra credit period, there is still a lot of dirt to move, fence to string, a few helos to fly yet and thousands of muddy boots to make and pile up at the doorstep yet.
Knee today, who knows what next week, but life is still happening in between

Be good!

Bls repair

Occupation
Equipment operator,mechanic
Sorry to hear about your injury, hope you feel better.

Don Harward

Thanks

I'll either heal up or I won't
But another few days sitting in this house and healin' or not, I'm getting out and back to work! ;-)

Tarhe Driver

Occupation
Comm. Real Est Appraiser-Retired cargo/helo pilot
Thanks

I'll either heal up or I won't
But another few days sitting in this house and healin' or not, I'm getting out and back to work! ;-)

Don, thanks for all you've done. I'm an RVN vet retired from the reserve component, and am fairly-well versed in the VA rules PM me if you'd like to talk VA. Neill.

Don Harward

You know what???
I do not trust the VA at all!
I broke my back twice in the Army...Twice. Required surgery both times. Yet when i retired the VA awards me zero percent disability stemming from my back!
I tested near legally deaf in one ear. You see the Chinooks I flew produced 135-140DB cockpit noise. The helmets we wore protected us up to around 120 DB...This is our Army, our government. We were told to wear ear plugs to help. Problem is if you wore the ear plugs, then you could no longer hear the radios, five of which I had to monitor at one time. I went through two VA hearing tests. Result of all that: They will not give me a hearing aid, I have to buy it muself
One word: To hell with the VA...Well maybe that's more than one word
We are honorable. we did our duty. we served as best we can. These sewer rats and communist liberal clerks that infest places like the VA actually hate us. The dammed system is so upside down. I'd vote in an instant to disband the whole thing. It does so little to actually help us.
Did I mention, "TO HELL WITH THEM!"