• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Safety BS

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
Seat switches are a real problem. A lot of ladies struggle with them. I've seen one woman tote a sandbag up in the cab. She'd lower the seat, place the bag and run her shift sitting on a sandbag. Couldn't have been comfortable. But she engineered her own work-around thinking her problem was unique.

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
"I have tried to unhook the sensor with the thought of installing a jump wire, but as soon as I un hook the wiring harness the almighty computer detects that it is unhooked and throws a fault code."

Have you tried actually installing the jumper wire and THEN clearing the code? It seem it would be no different then sitting back down in the seat and doing what ever it is that's done to reset the computer so the tractor can be operated? Just thinking out load here.
Most safety systems I've encountered are simple on/off switches that simply unlock a solenoid or signal an ECU that a condition is met. The 'dumb system without an ecu should be easy, the more advanced (sequenced) you're gonna struggle with. The worst I can remember was New Holland LS skidders, you had to sit, lap belt, arm-bar then implement release switch. Go out of sequence, no go. I hated that little box.

Oxbow

"I have tried to unhook the sensor with the thought of installing a jump wire, but as soon as I un hook the wiring harness the almighty computer detects that it is unhooked and throws a fault code."

Have you tried actually installing the jumper wire and THEN clearing the code? It seem it would be no different then sitting back down in the seat and doing what ever it is that's done to reset the computer so the tractor can be operated? Just thinking out load here.
No I haven't yet, but I think it will be worth a try. If done with the machine off it may work.

Oxbow

I understand the frustration in seat switches. I also appreciate Tones concern for inadvertently tripping an external E-stop. In that situation, I don't know what a funa spotter is, or how that operation takes place. I guess I would try to operate so that no men were in uatms way. I also realize this is not always practical nor efficient.
I don't wanna come off as some safety nazi, but I do appreciate the safeguards engineered into the machine's. The manufacturers aren't happy about compromising their good name and reliability for some switches and devices that should have weeded out the Darwin award candidates long ago. But you have to keep in the back of your mind, every rule, device, lockout etc was thought up because someone was killed or seriously injured. Seat switches, for example. If an operator gets out of his machine and accidentally bumps a control on the way off/down or out, that person could be hurt badly. Dozens and rollers. When you throttled up and push or pull the travel lever, you're going without a continual input from you. So know you're in harms way and anyone else in its path. How you gonna mount a moving dozer to stop it? Or a roller for that matter? I'm not saying it's the only way, but I think it's easier to live with it than without. I never want to make 'that' phone call or get hauled into a courtroom for willfull negligence or worse involuntary manslaughter. Just a bit to think about.
I would be fine with the seat switch if as soon as my weight was back on it all systems are go. The issue is that one must first toggle the forward/reverse switch to neutral, set the parking brake switch, then release the parking brake and toggle the direction before you can move. The time delay to do that is what is dangerous, not the switch cutout itself.

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
@funwithfuel, a funa spotter catcher is a person walking ahead of machines during clearing operations looking for and capturing native wildlife- Koalas,possums reptiles and birds and relocating them. Compulsory to have them on site in Queensland in some areas

Tyler d4c

Depending on how complicated the circuitry is, you may be able to add a simple resistor-capacitor circuit to provide a delay. That way the seat sensor won't know you've gotten off the seat until you've been off for whatever time value you choose by selecting the proper resistor and capacitor values. As long as you sit back down before that time is up, the computer will think you've been on the seat the whole time.
All you need is a terminating resistor that's what we used at cat to run them with the seat out

Oxbow

All you need is a terminating resistor that's what we used at cat to run them with the seat out
That's not a parameter that can be turned off with ET is it?.........Evidently not now that I think about it or you wouldn't have been using a resistor. Sometimes I don't think before speaking (typing)!

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Unfortunately, I would need help to determine what resistor-capacitor is needed. Or I guess I could go to Radio Shack and get an assortment, but I'd probably screw something up knowing me!

LOL! Yeah they don't let me near anything electrical on the equipment. I can screw up a Macbook with just pushing the keyboard. :D

boaterri

Occupation
Retired Television Engineer
That's one of the reasons I run a 1970's track loader. No lock outs except the one you manually operate on the "H-L-N-R" lever. I programmed the only computer on board (my brain) to check the position of the metal flap that locks the lever in the "N" position before I leave the seat.

Mobiltech

Occupation
Self employed Heavy duty mechanic
I know why they have the seat switches but I’m not a big fan of them.
Many years ago at the cat dealer we had a D7 come in from a potash mine where the operator had fallen from the step to the track while the machine was reversing killing him instantly. We had the task of trying to determine how the machine could come into gear accidentally without physically shifting it. We found no issues with the machine. We found out that these operators had a habit of not stopping when they had to pee. They would stand on the step while doing the long reverse from the pile and just let her go on the track. Sad way to die.

Mcrafty1

Occupation
Earth work
I know why they have the seat switches but I’m not a big fan of them.
Many years ago at the cat dealer we had a D7 come in from a potash mine where the operator had fallen from the step to the track while the machine was reversing killing him instantly. We had the task of trying to determine how the machine could come into gear accidentally without physically shifting it. We found no issues with the machine. We found out that these operators had a habit of not stopping when they had to pee. They would stand on the step while doing the long reverse from the pile and just let her go on the track. Sad way to die.
Darwin effect.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
We found out that these operators had a habit of not stopping when they had to pee. They would stand on the step while doing the long reverse from the pile and just let her go on the track.
Seen the same thing decades ago with scraper drivers letting it rip out of the cab door while flying down the haul road in 8th speed. The difference back then is that they were AFRAID to stop for a whizz otherwise they would get a chewing from the muckshifting foreman for "slacking".........

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
That's not a parameter that can be turned off with ET is it?
No it isn't. Had the same issues on new-model graders as well, espcially with lighter (generally female) operators.
Evidently not now that I think about it or you wouldn't have been using a resistor.
In the case of the tractor seat it uses an analogue pressure sensor (not like the switch on skid steers which is a simple on/off device) and I'm not sure whether or not a workaround is even possible. Furthermore the switch is not available separately, so if it ever goes on the fritz the solution is a replacement bottom seat cushion that comes complete with a new switch.

With a Serial Number I could look at the schematic for that machine and give you a clearer answer.

1711985449884.png

Oxbow

No it isn't. Had the same issues on new-model graders as well, espcially with lighter (generally female) operators.

In the case of the tractor seat it uses an analogue pressure sensor (not like the switch on skid steers which is a simple on/off device) and I'm not sure whether or not a workaround is even possible. Furthermore the switch is not available separately, so if it ever goes on the fritz the solution is a replacement bottom seat cushion that comes complete with a new switch.

With a Serial Number I could look at the schematic for that machine and give you a clearer answer.

View attachment 309180
DTD 00238. Thanks Nige!

IceHole

Started around late 90s-early 2000s.

At the DOT, the loaders had some safety Nancy thing and would beep if the seat belt wasn't on and email the boss for every beep
That **** got ignored damn guick when we all put in earplugs and left it beep all night

Slowvojockey

In the ag industry, seat switches have been around for quite a while on combines and they will shut off the header/feederhouse and and shut off the unloading auger when triggered. ( The new combines might shut down more, I don’t have any experience with them.) But they only activate after a couple seconds so a person can get up momentarily to shift positions, etc. Locking up the machine the instant it is triggered seems dumb to me.