• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

rust proofing heavy equipment parts

maquinariawiebe

Occupation
Aquisitions
We have a large salvage yard, and recently built a large warehouse to store heavy equipment parts. Pumps, axles, pins, cylinders and engine parts like crankshafts, engine blocks, pistons etc. Does anyone know of a good product to use for rust proofing parts?

check

I don't know what products are available today, but I'll convey my experiences from working in the salty environment of the offshore oil industry. The idea is to leave a layer of paraffin on steel and cast iron parts. It has to be thinned with a solvent that keeps the paraffin in suspension while contained, then allows the solvent to evaporate, leaving the paraffin in place. Oils only work for a few days and detergent oils are the worst. Changing temperatures along with humidity cause condensation which displaces most products. Keeping parts in a climate controlled environment makes a world of difference.

Former Wrench

Occupation
Retired
The best I ever used was a CRC product in a green and white spray can. I forgot the number but did a test one time on some plate steel left outside the shop in the rain. The treated side did not rust after a couple of days of SE AK rain.