• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Rolled 2011 Cat 320??

windowbarn

Saw this excavator on a dealer salvage auction and wondered what you all thought about it? They say it does run and drive. Obviously needs a new cab and wondered what you guys think all else could maybe have gotten tweeked?

Attachments

• 29379183_6X.JPG
    29379183_6X.JPG
    83.2 KB · Views: 1,454
  • 29379183_9X.JPG
    29379183_9X.JPG
    82.2 KB · Views: 1,447

windowbarn

more pics

Attachments

• 29379183_AX.JPG
    29379183_AX.JPG
    74.7 KB · Views: 1,380
  • 29379183_4X.JPG
    29379183_4X.JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 1,362
  • 29379183_2X.JPG
    29379183_2X.JPG
    82.8 KB · Views: 1,372
  • 29379183_1X.JPG
    29379183_1X.JPG
    79 KB · Views: 1,374

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Firstly, inspect all the pivot points in the boom/linkage for cracks or signs of stress. This could be something as minimal as cracking paint which is the first sign that something has been knocked out of whack. Boom foot area on both boom and carbody, both ends boom cylinder mounts, and nose end of boom where stick pivots are good points to start.

Do they have any price estimate of what they think it might fetch..?

Look at what machines with similar age/hours are selling for, take the difference of the 2 prices and see if you can get a cab, the stick cylinder, and anything else you can see that it needs to put it back into action for less than that amount. If your calculation comes out positive it could be worth a punt. Remember to factor in your labour.

It seems to me as there is no damage anywhere else that the machine has gone over on the left side. Of course with the cab not being ROPS the damage gets magnified because the weight of the machine just crushes it. That could likely mean that what your photos show is actually the sum total of the damage to it.

CRAFT

Occupation
30 yrs Owner/Operator
2011 ???? ……I wonder why they are righting it off ???? and not fixing it ……. as Nige said no ROPS so the cab will take a big hit.

The stick cyl is probably OK, just a new ram needed ….. the pics are hard to give an accurate opinion, but from what I see, it's not one of those big structural issues …. I somersaulted my 312 backwards on a down-hill slope (quite a few yrs ago) … it was winter, ground frozen covered by snow …… BUT I have ROPS/FOPS cab guarding ….. we Slammed hard upside down and the worst thing was the stick ram was bent bad, looked almost the same as the 320 you show, appears that the boom and stick were straight up and when it went over the contact point was the RAM, which will kinda absorb most of the impact ….. it prob rolled on its side crushing the Cab …..

Looks more like Pirates went thru the cab and took most of the stuff out (by appearance only) …… if they say it runs when was it run ??? …. cause with all the stuff missing in the cab I doubt there's enough to start it now ????? ……. as in my case, my engine was shut off immediately, but because it laid on its side over night the engine hydraulic'd ….. when we barred the engine over I must of bent a push tube partially, I held the exhaust valve open manually, barred it over and pushed the crank-case oil out of the cyl ….. put in a new push tube and it fired right up …….

Even re-ramming the stick cly was not cheap, but WAY cheaper than a complete cylinder …….. I still don't get it ????…. that's a 2011 and was it not insured ??? …. up here cabs would be a dime -a- dozen with all of the converted machines into Forestry Cab Conversions …..

Let us know if you wind up with it ….. cheers

Delmer

Remember to factor in your labour.

I don't know why you're talking about british politics in this post??? and it seems "punt" means something else to non Americans, here it means to give up, or pass it by-off-on. The web suggests you mean "it might be worth a gamble".

It wouldn't take much work with some straight edges, bungee cords, string lines, and tape measures to "eyeball" (survey?) the booms to see just how parallel they are. Take a good look at the top of that dipper cylinder to see if it was dented, and whether the whole cylinder will be replaced or just the rod.

I assumed it was the insurance company that wrote it off, that's usually how they end up at salvage auctions.

caterpillarmech

Occupation
Field Service Supervisor
We speak English, you speak American. That's the way the world works..........:tong
I think you meant pass the sugar please. I love the attitudes on here. Glad to see i'm not the only one of my kind.
Caterpillar paint is really good for tattletales. It will show stretch and bend marks. Take a level with you and kind of eye ball it. Looks good for the right price. We sold some 320c's for $75,000 four years ago. These were running machines though.

Last edited:

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
If it was just the cab that took the major damage I would look closer at it, however the boom hit something hard enough to snap the top boom/stick cylinder, which means it didn't just roll over on the left side.

What do they want for it?

windowbarn

Thanks for all the helpful replies. Not sure what it will go for. Its on a no reserve auction going off tomorrow in Tifton, GA. We are from IA so can't really go look at it. I wouldn't want too give much for it with all the unknowns. I did email the auction to see if they have any additional info on the unit.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I think you meant pass the sugar please. I love the attitudes on here. Glad to see i'm not the only one of my kind.
Caterpillar paint is really good for tattletales. It will show stretch and bend marks. Take a level with you and kind of eye ball it. Looks good for the right price. We sold some 320c's for $75,000 four years ago. These were running machines though.
I could have pointed out that we have 2000 years of practice speaking English compared to you guys 250-ish so I suppose it would be fair to say you still have time yet to get it right. Only a C+ for effort so far .......... :D:D

First thing I would look for would be cracked paint.

This site shows me about $160-165k for a 2011 320D in what I assume would be good condition. There's your starting point, subtract from that the cost of repairing it (add on 15K for all those little things that you didn't plan for but that always come back and bite you in the a$$) and the number you're left with should be the absolute maximum that you would pay for it at auction - IMHO.

http://www.rockanddirt.com/search?l0=equipment-mfg&l1=CAT&l2=320D

windowbarn

2011 ???? ……I wonder why they are righting it off ???? and not fixing it ……. as Nige said no ROPS so the cab will take a big hit.

The stick cyl is probably OK, just a new ram needed ….. the pics are hard to give an accurate opinion, but from what I see, it's not one of those big structural issues …. I somersaulted my 312 backwards on a down-hill slope (quite a few yrs ago) … it was winter, ground frozen covered by snow …… BUT I have ROPS/FOPS cab guarding ….. we Slammed hard upside down and the worst thing was the stick ram was bent bad, looked almost the same as the 320 you show, appears that the boom and stick were straight up and when it went over the contact point was the RAM, which will kinda absorb most of the impact ….. it prob rolled on its side crushing the Cab …..

Looks more like Pirates went thru the cab and took most of the stuff out (by appearance only) …… if they say it runs when was it run ??? …. cause with all the stuff missing in the cab I doubt there's enough to start it now ????? ……. as in my case, my engine was shut off immediately, but because it laid on its side over night the engine hydraulic'd ….. when we barred the engine over I must of bent a push tube partially, I held the exhaust valve open manually, barred it over and pushed the crank-case oil out of the cyl ….. put in a new push tube and it fired right up …….

Even re-ramming the stick cly was not cheap, but WAY cheaper than a complete cylinder …….. I still don't get it ????…. that's a 2011 and was it not insured ??? …. up here cabs would be a dime -a- dozen with all of the converted machines into Forestry Cab Conversions …..

Let us know if you wind up with it ….. cheers

Would you have any contact info for a cab? Wonder what they would cost up there. Cat wants $18k for a new one here

CRAFT

Occupation
30 yrs Owner/Operator
Would you have any contact info for a cab? Wonder what they would cost up there. Cat wants $18k for a new one here

I would contact Finning Tractor in Edmonton Alta. ….. Finning (from what i'm told) is now the largest franchised Cat dealer in the world …. they in Edmonton, are pretty much the head parts distribution point for Western Canada New and used Parts …… Other than that contacting Finning in Vancouver, B.C. ….. Alot of the Forestry cab conversions happen there (not sure if you know what we mean when we speak of the conversion ??? …. they pull off the OEM cabs and put custom built Raised cabs c/w the Rops/Fops built into the structure, Cab windows are ALL Lexan or Marguard, basically bullet proof windows, the cabs are also tilt-able forward for transport purposes) ….. that would be where i'd start, Google them and you can go online to check out used parts, as well as the origin of the parts location …. Also giving you the TF #'s to phone …… hope this helps if you wind up getting the 320 …… cheers & good-luck bidding !!!

Hawkeye

The damage sure is strange. That stick cylinder took one hell of a hit to break like that, but no damage to the side of the boom. Maybe something fell onto it, sure doesn't look like a roll over to me. Let us know what it brings at auction.

Hawkeye

After looking at the pics again, I bet they had the boom up, hit a bridge, then maybe fell from the trailer. Takes a lot to break a ram like that.

Bremcoe

Occupation
Owner operator
curious to see what it went for and if you got it or not?! that cylinder sure is strange. bent down like it was compressed or something landed on top of the machine maybe? and a clean sheer snap. never seen that before. id say something fell on the cab and top of the boom. doesn't look like rollover damage to me.

CRAFT

Occupation
30 yrs Owner/Operator
So windowbarn ???? …… Did you Buy it ???? ….. we are all waiting for the big up-date !!! …. LOL