• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Road shouldering

cuttin edge

Did a shouldering job on a newly repaved road last week. Of all the grader jobs with an asphalt company, shouldering is my least favorite. I will admit that the reclaimed asphalt, or rap, on this job was not really sticky, and easy to work with...it screened out nice and had no lumps at all. Did most of the job with my 940, but there was not enough money in the contract to pull the guard rail, at the overpass, and grade it right, so I had to use our Alitec maintainer to grade under the rail, and around the posts. That's about 2 kilometers with rail on both sides, and an average of 4 inches of material built up under the rail. Boy were my fingers sore after. Anyway, getting to the point. This company was started in 1945, and I think they still have their original shoulder spreader. Used to go on the front of the grader, but since I have been there it has been on the front of the loader. What kind of shouldering machine does your company have....

Silveroddo

I work for a municipality and our shouldering machine came over on the mayflower, but it actually works pretty well, not as fast production wise as some maybe but totally functional and does a decent job. Its been worked over and converted a number of times by the look of it but its currently set up to mount on a front end loader and is a 2-3 man operation, 1-2 guys on the actual machine running the belt and hooking/unhooking trucks and one guy in the loader. I'll see if I can find a pic of the old girl.

old-iron-habit

Our county also has one snowplow/gravel truck set up with the shoulder sander set up mounted to it. It is a one man operation.

cuttin edge

Ours is loader mounted. The loader controls the belt feed. The wing height and width is adjusted by man power. All you need is a loader man, and a dump man, although some drivers require no dump man. When it was on the grader, it had a pup motor with a hand clutch.

CatGrader

Simple. Gauge the out push of your windrow. Want to know more ? Hint Blade angle Rear Wheel set . Water helps to.:)