• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Road Drag

cmartinweld

I build these road drags for townships and anyone else who wants one. What do you guys think? See anything I could change/improve? Anyone want one? Thanks!IMG_3185.jpgIMG_3187.jpgIMG_3188.jpgIMG_3191.jpgIMG_3193.jpg

kb9tci

Good looking piece of equipment!

A thought: What about changing the hitch to a u-channel setup for adjustable height & coupler options? I know that you can get pin, pintle, and ball hitches to fit the channels.

kb9tci

Another thought: I see some chains that are bolted on to some of what appear to be pieces of angle iron. Even with grade 8 bolts, there is a chance of bolt shear and washer deformation due to the cantilevered stresses. If this is a lifting point, I would suggest a shackle/clevis or lift hook (straight-line pulls are best).

My suggestion could be complete overkill, too :D

cmartinweld

There are threaded pieces of 1" bar welded to the angle where the chains bolt to the frame. So the last link is basically acting as a clevis. The forward chains that do the pulling are attached differently. So far-So good! I appreciate the input though! Hope it keeps coming!!

Scrub Puller

Yair . . . cmartinweld.That's a well made implement but I don't see any adjustment for setting a crown?

Several manufacturers make similar setups over here. They are probably not as heavy duty though and, on the stations they are often towed with a 4x4 pickup they use a 12volt linear actuator for lift.

Cheers.

AKSNOW

Occupation
Heavy Eqpt / NCCO Crane operator
Like it! Curious on cost. We have several miles of dirt road to our road and I rent a 140h twice a year. Would be great if it is cost effective!

AKSNOW

Occupation
Heavy Eqpt / NCCO Crane operator
What flow rate / pressures are required for hydraulics?

Trashman

Occupation
Garboligist
Nice set up....the only suggestion I might add, would be to use cutting edges.

ValleyFirewood

Do you have a design that would be towed by a truck? I think that would something people would use. Electric over hydro?

I'm not sure how a dumptruck would tie into the hydraulics without patching into the dump system.

cmartinweld

Do you have a design that would be towed by a truck? I think that would something people would use. Electric over hydro?

I'm not sure how a dumptruck would tie into the hydraulics without patching into the dump system.

I don't currently have a design for that but it would have to be much smaller. This design weighs three thousand pounds and typically takes a 100+ HP tractor to pull.