• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Ripper tooth spacing

Welder Dave

I want to use my newly acquired ripper to loosen the hardpan clay on my MX track so water will soak in rather than just pool. The ripper has 3 shanks and I'm wondering what is the best spacing to use? I currently have a tooth in the middle and the other 2 at the outside corners. I don't need maximum disturbance of the soil on top. I thought maybe moving the outside shanks in or even doing that and not using the middle tooth. Hoping someone has experience with ripping/subsoiling for better drainage.

Razorsedge2003

I’d think that spacing you have there is best for hard packed clay. To close and it will either stop you or push like a dozer blade. Are these spots in the track or the infield areas? I’d think if you ripped in the track that it would turn to soup when it rains.

Welder Dave

We're putting a slope too. Ripping the hardpan to improve drainage is the same as using a subsoiler to improve drainage in farm land. Fields that have been rototilled also require deep ripping every 5 or so years to break up the hard under layer. 15+ years of riding and driving on the track really packs it. Working the top 6 inches doesn't do anything to loosen the hardpan underneath. Will try it this fall and see how drainage after the frost comes out goes.

Razorsedge2003

Your correct. I was picturing a low spot that gets ripped and rode on all the time. It would turn to soup but if it sets after ripping for the winter it should work.

56wrench

I would think wide spacing would be best so the hard stuff is less likely to pull up in big chunks or slabs for what you want to accomplish