• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Ripper or rake?

JD Green

Purchased a Deere 200C LC, and looking at 750 or 850 Deere dozer. Main projects will be clearing trees out of fence lines, and general farm improvements. Question I have is... would you put money towards a ripper, or a rake for the dozer? Thanks

grandpa

If it was me i would buy a pin on rake. Ive got both and the rake is alot handier; just my opinion tho. Dont have to have extra hydraulics either and thats a savings.

Last edited:

grandpa

I knew youd ask that. Ive had it so long I cant remember anymore(25 years) . I found it in the rock and dirt magazine i believe. Sorry.

td25c

welcome JD Green.The rake would sure come in handy for piling the trees & fence rows .

JD750B

I vote rake

The rake will be much more handy. I have never really had a need for a ripper, but the rake gets quite a bit of use piling brush.

roddyo

Occupation
Manipulator of the Planet
Rippers and a Rake

+1 on going with a rake.

You could go with a set of backup rippers also if your looking at loosening up clay or a hard pan. It might be a cheap way to get both, Like everything it's a compromise.

http://www.vailproducts.com/SiteResources/Data/Templates/t2.asp?docid=548&DocName=Backup Rippers

As far as rakes go:

http://www.rocklandmfg.com/Dozers/rake_index.htm

http://www.excavatorthumb.com/dozer-rakes/dozer.html

Both of these should have an ebay store which might be some cheaper.

You should send ATCO a PM for his opinion also.
He's in the business. :cool2

Trakwork

Occupation
owner/operator --semi retired
Purchased a Deere 200C LC, and looking at 750 or 850 Deere dozer. Main projects will be clearing trees out of fence lines, and general farm improvements. Question I have is... would you put money towards a ripper, or a rake for the dozer? Thanks

If I was looking to buy a dozer like you, and was wondering what attachment/s .... I needed.. I would buy a dozer with rippers attached and purchase a rake. Why buy a dozer without a ripper set when the extra cost is nothing or small? There are many good machines with rippers for no extra.

Shop around when you buy you're next machine.

JD Green

Took everyones advice. Purchased an 850C with 3-shank ripper on unit. Will soon be ordering a pin-on root rake. Thanks :notworthy