• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Repower a Skidder

Old Growth

Anyone ever repower a log skidder originally equipped with a Detroit 353 to another kind of diesel??

I have an old Garrett 21 with a bad 353 and Im not to keen on listening to that old screamer.

I have a Deutz 4 cylinder diesel Im thinking about putting in it.

Im not sure if this is a good or bad idea yet. Any ideas?

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
That’s a tough one. Maybe a Kubota in that power range like the V6108? Might be considered a sacrilegious act to put a Japanese engine in that magnificent beast of American ingenuity.

Maybe a Cummins 6BT?

IDK?

Old Growth

4BT, Nope. Bearded diesel truck dudes have ruined the market on any kind of affordable engine.

6BT. Nope, See above comment.

Perkins, Nope. Not my cup of tea.

Im open to the idea of using an import engine. That doesnt bother me, as long as its cheap.

I think its probably going to be another detroit or this deutz

Truck Shop

I have hundreds of hours in 440, 647D and 648 G3, never had those "screaming". Maybe 1800rpm, if that.
That's probably because you don't have red hair & rosacea. I knew a young guy that worked
a logging crew he was a dandy he was, short pants with fringe, guy wires, bachelor buttons,
hickory shirt & whites boots--everything he did was full tilt.:)

Coaldust

Occupation
The dealer I worked for sold Clark Skidders. All the ones they sold while I was there came with V6 or V8 Cummins in them.
First triple-nickel I ever touched was in a Clark. I forgot about those things.

Coaldust

Occupation
I've only seen two clark skidders out here with Cummins in them everything else had a Detroit.
There was a Oakville Gypo with a couple Cummins powered Clarks we regularly worked on. Trying to recall names.