• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Repairing gas tank???

vinrum

Well, I finally got the gas tank out of the machine, And now its time to repair the pin hole leaks...I am open for suggestion, I never delt with gas tank leaks before...what is the most effective way to repair it?????????????/

Thanks

Steve

Deas Plant

Gas Tank Leaks

Hi, Vinrum.
I once welded up a gas tank out of a small Found On Rubbish Dump (Read the initials.) car that had had a disagreement with stump hidden in long grass. The thickened section that the drain plug screwed into had been almost torn out of the bottom of the tank.

I took the tank right out of the car, removed the actual drain plug, connected the tank to the car exhaust with a bicycle tube, rigged an alternate fuel supply and ran the car exhaust into the fuel tank. I found I had to cut a few small holes in the tube to enable the car to run. This was because once I had bent the torn piece back into place in the tank, there wasn't enough outlet for the exhaust gas to allow the engine to run.

I did the actual welding with an oxy-acetylene torch and ordinary black wire welding rod. The tank never leaked again while I had the car which was about another 15,000 miles or 12 months.

I do NOT recommend this method. All I am saying is that it worked for me. It is supposed to work by removing all the combustible oxygen form the air inside the tank and replacing it with supposedly non-combustible exhuast gases. I obviously did something right 'cos I'm still here to tell about it. Get this method wrong and you may well be shaking hands with Saint Peter and signing the register at the Pearly Gates.

I was 25 when I did this. Thatsa lotta years ago. Surely there must be some other tricks for doing it now like the one mentioned in the post above.

You have a wonderful day. Best wishes. Deas Plant.

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
I did the stump thing with my 85 Chevy. Big dent and small pinhole. I pushed the dent out with a wooden broom handle then made the pinhole a little bit bigger. I then applied several coats of JB-Weld to the inside and outside. I made the hole bigger so the inside and outside layers would stick to themselves not just the metal. Its not leaked a single drop (not even damp) in 6+ years. Not the best way but it was inexpensive ($3.99) and did fix the problem.

Deas Plant

JBWeld

Hi, CountryBoy.
Back in the days when I did that weld repair on that gas tank, JBWeld was TOTALLY unheard of, at least DownUnder where I live. I don't know how long it has been around in the 'States' but I only started seeing it on shelves down here last year. It may have beena round before that but i lead a sheltered existence.

plowking740

Occupation
Equipment operator
jbweld

I have also used JBWELD for a quick fix in the field. one of my operators was running a litle Raygo pad foot got too close to the bank and drove a rock into a seam and cracked it. after transfering about half of the fuel to other equipment, Mixed up a little of the stuff and layed it the crack. I also used a small hammer and a block of wood to press/pound the stuff into the crack.

it was supposed to be a quick fix till the job was over and it went back to the yard for the mechanics to fix, but it wound up running the rest of the year and two more years till it was sold. Good stuff for a quick fix.

Mike J

If it is just a small hole Permatex makes some stuff for fixing gas tanks and radiators. It is a 2 part putty that you mix together. I fixed the gas tank on my pickup and it has been good for about 3 years now.

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Its great stuff Deas Plant. It will fix anything that duct tape won't.:bouncegri