• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Repairing, cleaning and restoring large transfer tanks

treemuncher

Occupation
eatin' trees, poopin' chips
I'm working a job far off the beaten path with only a very wet way into the work area. Minimizing passes down the access trail with the rubber tired machine is essential, or I WILL end up sticking it in the swamp. I need about 750-1000 gallons of transfer tank capacity to put in my LGP tracked dumper to leave out in the work area. I've got tanks but I'm needing to repair and reline what I have, or else dump over $8k for a fuel trailer for what is a rare job. I don't need a fuel trailer that badly.

Anyone have any experience cleaning out transfer tanks (250-500 gal sizes) and then installing a reline/sealant/barrier type product? I have some KBS Coatings products on order.

I'm thinking about building a fixture to mount the tanks on so that they can be rotated easily in order to scrub them out and install the liquid sealant product. Any experience or ideas on this would be appreciated. I only have 2" NPT bung holes to provide access point to any of the tanks.

mowingman

Occupation
Retired
Can you even take a 1000 gallon tank full of diesel down that road? The diesel itself, will weigh about 7100 lbs. Then , how will you get diesel fuel delivered to the tank when a refill is needed? Just some more things to worry about!

Truck Shop

Normally for proper access a tank will have 24" explosion proof type manhole/hatch.
for ease of cleaning and installing lining. But the smallest tank I ever installed/weld
one into was 2,500 gallon most were skid tanks 3,000 gallon and up.

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
It would be difficult to spray a liner without a manway.

A hot water pressure wash and plenty of TSP or Simple Green would probably make it useable.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Used the KBS products to coat the inside of 2- 25 gal tanks for the lube skid we built. A lot smaller than what you are talking about but the product seemed to perform as advertised.

Followed the directions for the 3 products and it took a minute but the coatings adhered well.

This is what we ordered off the tall women's website -

Kinda pricey for only 25 gallons of coating but worth it since we are putting fresh hydro and engine oil in the tanks.

IMG_5278 (1).jpeg

Zewnten

Used to be involved in gas station sized tanks. Had some people want their smaller tanks done but usually the bottom is so rotted/rusted out there is no point? If it’s diesel why not get an IBC tote or rent a big transfer tank from a fuel delivery place?

crane operator

I've got a 500 or 1000 gallon double wall tank sitting behind my shop. It came from a genset we sent away. If you want to come get it - you can bring it back when you are done with it.

My local fuel supplier will bring a tank for nothing, if they get to sell you the fuel. All the local dirt guys just have a tank dropped at their jobsites. Maybe they will bring you one to put back there, and then just put three pickup tanks in the back of the dumper?

cfherrman

No real experience but a heated pressure washer and some time to clean up would do wonders and fuel filters on the way out of the tank.

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
Used to be involved in gas station sized tanks. Had some people want their smaller tanks done but usually the bottom is so rotted/rusted out there is no point? If it’s diesel why not get an IBC tote or rent a big transfer tank from a fuel delivery place?
I was going to mention going with an 31/Y IBC. They are getting popular for hauling fuel.

IceHole

Used the KBS products to coat the inside of 2- 25 gal tanks for the lube skid we built. A lot smaller than what you are talking about but the product seemed to perform as advertised.

Followed the directions for the 3 products and it took a minute but the coatings adhered well.

This is what we ordered off the tall women's website -

Kinda pricey for only 25 gallons of coating but worth it since we are putting fresh hydro and engine oil in the tanks.

View attachment 303269
Why did they need coated?

I fill dozens of tanks a week, they are all just raw mild steel or stainless.

terex herder

Take your days fuel in with you. How much fuel do you need a day? For curiosity, what are they going to do with the land after clearing if its that swampy?

treemuncher

Occupation
Can you even take a 1000 gallon tank full of diesel down that road? The diesel itself, will weigh about 7100 lbs. Then , how will you get diesel fuel delivered to the tank when a refill is needed? Just some more things to worry about!
The dumper is a Yanmar C60R2 that will haul 6 tons or more of dirt/rock at about 4 psi fully loaded. It won't even notice the 1/2 load and the wet areas won't get trashed by that machine. I'm commuting back into the work area with the Polaris RZR which is also fairly low impact. No way my F550 makes it back into there. If I only need to refill every 5 or so days, that will work out great.
I'm dealing with what I have to work with. I've repaired several questionable tanks over the years with good success. I don't trust a tote that could be compromised. As my fueler said, "a tote is good until it is not! Then you have problems." Unless I find something better than the typical plastic with metal cage totes we have around here, I'll stick to steel. My fueler did not have any tanks available right now as all of his are out on jobs.
I've got a 500 or 1000 gallon double wall tank sitting behind my shop. It came from a genset we sent away. If you want to come get it - you can bring it back when you are done with it.

My local fuel supplier will bring a tank for nothing, if they get to sell you the fuel. All the local dirt guys just have a tank dropped at their jobsites. Maybe they will bring you one to put back there, and then just put three pickup tanks in the back of the dumper?
Thanks for the offer but too far away to justify. I'm making do with what I have available. As I said above, no tanks available at the moment.
No real experience but a heated pressure washer and some time to clean up would do wonders and fuel filters on the way out of the tank.
I'll be steaming the tanks today once I finish the last of the repairs. Dual filters on order to place immediately downstream of my air-powered diaphram pump. Air line on retractable reel mounted on the mulcher machine will power fuel pump and grease barrel and make it difficult for anyone to steal fuel. The only legal way into my work area for the public is via horse and they don't drink the diesel.

I was going to mention going with an 31/Y IBC. They are getting popular for hauling fuel.
I'm not familiar with the different models available. My fueler suggested one of the carbon steel totes but I have not seen any of those around here.
Why did they need coated?

I fill dozens of tanks a week, they are all just raw mild steel or stainless.
My tanks have pin holes that I've repaired. The coating will stop the rust and seal off anything in the works or leaks that I may have missed.
Take your days fuel in with you. How much fuel do you need a day? For curiosity, what are they going to do with the land after clearing if its that swampy?
I'm burning about 20 gallons/hour average with this machine. I generally like to carry in 180-200 gallons per day. I am reclaiming fields that were allowed to get overgrown. I just have to get it clean enough to allow subsequent work with a bush hog so no fine detail work on this job. I am trying to work it back to the original tree lines where it's not too wet. Most of the fields are hard/dry enough to be worked without significant rutting by the tires, even at this time of the year.

Right now, I am considering welding on some 3/4" NPT pipe flange bases to the center points of the ends of the 2 tanks I'm working on. I'll thread in some 6" or longer nipples into those flanges and then hang the tanks via straps on a frame that will allow me to rotate the tanks for coating. If I adjust one strap tighter than the other, I can add a pitch to control my flow while rotating the product within.

I've also considered making a frame to do the same as the straps and then a quick couple base on that frame/fixture to attach to the excavator with the Rototilt coupler. I can plumb in a hydraulic motor and chain drive too continously rotate the tanks to spin in the coating and control flow directions with ease with such a method. Sort of depends on how long this weather keeps me down at the shop.

The fuel drinker. From a past job a few years ago making a thick mess into a residential plot.
thick cedar 1.JPG

The Barman (drink distributor): from a past job shuttling rip rap down a 35 degree slope to the waterfront.
IMG_20171128_125122389.jpg

bam1968

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
My fuel trailer is a 500 gal propane tank that I mounted on a walking tandem frame like they use on dry fertilizer carts. Originally I bolted a regular 500 gal fuel tank on the frame but I had trouble with the tanks cracking where the stands are welded to the tank and would start to leak. Since I switched to the propane tank I have had no problems. It's not fancy but basically does the same job as the $6-$8,000 fuel trailers. I might have $1,000 wrapped up in it. I was a little leery about rust ect so I put a gate valve in the bottom so I could drain a little out occasionally. Maybe I got lucky but there has never been anything but clear fuel every time I have opened it. Only negative thing I can think of is that around 40-45 mph it gets to bouncing pretty bad when it is empty. Otherwise it pulls great once you get past that.

bam1968

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
Evidently I am a slow typer. You could still use a 500 gal propane tank and set it in your dumper.

treemuncher

Occupation
Evidently I am a slow typer. You could still use a 500 gal propane tank and set it in your dumper.
I've considered it. I actually have an old one here with a full pump system - it was an old propane filling station unit. I've also got an old air tank of unknown volume but it's very thick and very heavy. I'm trying to get closer to 800-1000 gal. 2 round tanks of different sizes leaves me enough room in the bed to add the air greaser keg. And they are easy to move about when empty.

cfherrman

If you have the time I wonder if you can buy one of those clean out hatches they put on hydraulic tanks, just one bolt on the center.

I'd just clean fix and run it, it's steel so it will always leak eventually or cost you money in fuel system components in the long run. Save up or build a aluminum.

Delmer

I've coated car gas tanks with epoxy. For a cylindrical tank, I'd rock it back and forth, so the liquid flows end to end, and then rotate an inch and repeat to insure covering the whole inside. rotating won't force the liquid to cover the whole surface. The ends will be somewhat harder to insure complete coverage.

IceHole

The dumper is a Yanmar C60R2 that will haul 6 tons or more of dirt/rock at about 4 psi fully loaded. It won't even notice the 1/2 load and the wet areas won't get trashed by that machine. I'm commuting back into the work area with the Polaris RZR which is also fairly low impact. No way my F550 makes it back into there. If I only need to refill every 5 or so days, that will work out great.

I'm dealing with what I have to work with. I've repaired several questionable tanks over the years with good success. I don't trust a tote that could be compromised. As my fueler said, "a tote is good until it is not! Then you have problems." Unless I find something better than the typical plastic with metal cage totes we have around here, I'll stick to steel. My fueler did not have any tanks available right now as all of his are out on jobs.

Thanks for the offer but too far away to justify. I'm making do with what I have available. As I said above, no tanks available at the moment.

I'll be steaming the tanks today once I finish the last of the repairs. Dual filters on order to place immediately downstream of my air-powered diaphram pump. Air line on retractable reel mounted on the mulcher machine will power fuel pump and grease barrel and make it difficult for anyone to steal fuel. The only legal way into my work area for the public is via horse and they don't drink the diesel.

I'm not familiar with the different models available. My fueler suggested one of the carbon steel totes but I have not seen any of those around here.

My tanks have pin holes that I've repaired. The coating will stop the rust and seal off anything in the works or leaks that I may have missed.

I'm burning about 20 gallons/hour average with this machine. I generally like to carry in 180-200 gallons per day. I am reclaiming fields that were allowed to get overgrown. I just have to get it clean enough to allow subsequent work with a bush hog so no fine detail work on this job. I am trying to work it back to the original tree lines where it's not too wet. Most of the fields are hard/dry enough to be worked without significant rutting by the tires, even at this time of the year.

Right now, I am considering welding on some 3/4" NPT pipe flange bases to the center points of the ends of the 2 tanks I'm working on. I'll thread in some 6" or longer nipples into those flanges and then hang the tanks via straps on a frame that will allow me to rotate the tanks for coating. If I adjust one strap tighter than the other, I can add a pitch to control my flow while rotating the product within.

I've also considered making a frame to do the same as the straps and then a quick couple base on that frame/fixture to attach to the excavator with the Rototilt coupler. I can plumb in a hydraulic motor and chain drive too continously rotate the tanks to spin in the coating and control flow directions with ease with such a method. Sort of depends on how long this weather keeps me down at the shop.

The fuel drinker. From a past job a few years ago making a thick mess into a residential plot.
View attachment 303307

The Barman (drink distributor): from a past job shuttling rip rap down a 35 degree slope to the waterfront.
View attachment 303308
I wouldn't rely on a coating to seal leaks.
In a commercial setting, almost always need a 2 wall tank. The cost of a spill is crazy. 1000 gallons to clean up would be well into the 6 figures, possibly 7 figures.

We had a spill at work of around 40 gallons, cost about $80,000 to clean.