• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Repairing a leaking joystick control valve

7379df

Just curious if anyone knows where to get a pilot seal kit besides through OEM? Or should I just go ahead and get OEM. The machine is a Hitachi EX 300 lc-3. Thanks for any help. And by the way Willie59 thanks for your efforts and time in this thread...extremely helpful !!:drinkup

Chief Jim

Occupation
worm farmer / American
Willie,
Just wanted to thank you for a great help! I installed all new bushings, o rings and pistons on the right hand pilot vale on a Tak TL140. man! There is a grunch of oil in that beast. I found out by leaving the return line to tank unplugged. ugh! It took many days to de oil the entire machine below the floor boards. The bilges are now clean:)
The Kawasaki folks are very good to deal with directly for the overhaul kits on the 48 series pilot valves. Again, many thanks, the left one has a slight leak , so it is next.
best regards,
Jim Yancy aka Chief Jim
Pedro, Ohio
cooneycreekfarm@hughes.net

PS
I did a simplified rewire for the Auxiliary hydraulic circuits. What is the best area to post that ?

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Willie,
Just wanted to thank you for a great help! I installed all new bushings, o rings and pistons on the right hand pilot vale on a Tak TL140. man! There is a grunch of oil in that beast. I found out by leaving the return line to tank unplugged. ugh! It took many days to de oil the entire machine below the floor boards. The bilges are now clean:)
The Kawasaki folks are very good to deal with directly for the overhaul kits on the 48 series pilot valves. Again, many thanks, the left one has a slight leak , so it is next.
best regards,
Jim Yancy aka Chief Jim
Pedro, Ohio
cooneycreekfarm@hughes.net

PS
I did a simplified rewire for the Auxiliary hydraulic circuits. What is the best area to post that ?

Glad the info was helpful. :drinkup

As for the rewire of the aux, well, that's a good question, not sure if it would be best in the CTL loader section or the shop talk section. I suppose it's your choice. :)

purnong

Great write up Willie
I'm about to attempt the same repair now after reading your tutorial, Would you mind confirming that I'm after part numbers 11 & 12 in the following link

http://komatsupartsbook.com/#?k=!0!1!3738!22!67

Thanks for any advice mate, I did post this in the compact excavators section but can't seem to get any replies
Cheers
John

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Yep, I viewed the diagram at the link you posted, #11 and #12 are the seals you need.

Remember, when you disassemble the unit, be sure and note which spring/spool set came from which hole, don't switch the location of those parts or mix them up. :)

purnong

Yep, I viewed the diagram at the link you posted, #11 and #12 are the seals you need.

Remember, when you disassemble the unit, be sure and note which spring/spool set came from which hole, don't switch the location of those parts or mix them up. :)

Excellent, Thanks Willie
I ended up buying the parts from the place below, Seals were $1.80 instead of $20 and they reckon they are OEM
http://yueboda.en.alibaba.com/
I took a bit of a chance as you could only pay by bank transfer or Western Union
Time will tell
Thanks again

purnong

Got my parts today and did one side in the machine, Pretty simple job really after reading the instruction
I wouldn't even have attempted it before reading this, so thanks to willie59 and the forum for the great advice
It's great to do the DIY and learn from it as well

nowing75

I went to do this on a 246 cat skidsteere and they did not have the parts brake down for the seals. Wanted me to buy the whole thing. Looked up a cat 315 and seals spear to be the same. $20 insted of $1200

purnong

Good to hear you got it sorted out purnong. :drinkup

All sorted mate
I can't believe how much more responsive the machine is now, it just seems to work a lot more smoothly
I had gotten used to it as every valve has been leaking since I got it, Definitely a job well worth doing

DoyleX

Occupation
Lever Puller, Gear Jammer, Pipe Twister
I went to do this on a 246 cat skid steer and they did not have the parts brake down for the seals. Wanted me to buy the whole thing. Looked up a cat 315 and seals appear to be the same. $20 instead of $1200

How did that work out?

I have a 5FZ07755 226 with the so called non repairable left joystick valve. Was hoping to do the same thing.

Chief Jim

Occupation
worm farmer / American
Willie,
Here is the location for getting the 48 series seals. Nice folks. Hope it helps someone. Best regards, Jim.

Matt Bol
Senior Applications Engineer
Kawasaki Precision Machinery (U.S.A.), Inc.
3838 Broadmoor
Grand Rapids, MI 49512

Ph. 616.975.3114
Fx. 616.975.3103

DoyleX

Occupation
Lever Puller, Gear Jammer, Pipe Twister
So far it works fine. They look identical

I picked up a set of inners for my 3AW 315. Fit perfect for $20! Thanks

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Wow, it's one thing to help folks re-seal a PPC valve (as opposed to having a dealer/shop do it for bucks), but for you guys to find a seal that works in various PPC valves (as opposed to replacing the whole valve 'cause it don't break down in the parts book)...Bonus! :drinkup

Dlesikar

I have a cat 236b2 that I am replacing the pilot gp valve. The old one that I took off was not hooked up properly, does anyone know how to determine which hose goes where on the joystick? I've found all the schematics to hook up to the pump but cannot find anything on how they hook up to joystick.