• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Repairability of older models

seagull369

Well, went to look at it and within a minute or 2 of it running it burped up a significant amount of coolant, which ran down the left side of it. I didn't see it while it was happening, just the wake afterwards. Guy claimed it just had a water pump replaced and either that (somehow) or a bad rad. cap could be to blame. The rig was being sold by a heavy equip. repair shop.

Kudos to you, Phil. Looks like you may have just saved me a costly repair. Too bad, tho. Looked to be a good machine otherwise.

Phil

Occupation
retired operator and mechanic
Well I didn't mean to throw cold water on it, it's just to make you aware that there are seldom machines of that age that are a jump in and go type. It sure sounds like the guy is making some excuses.

It's been my experience that a whine in the rear end usually is the crown and pinion. The side gear thrust washers, the fiber ones, break and fall out, losing the carrier bearing preload. The crown gear is then not supported properly and starts deteriorating quickly, taking the pinion with it. Later machines, starting with the B or C, used steel washers, but even still, alot of roading tends to wear the carrier bearings and they tend to suffer the same fate without some preventative maintenance. So a loud whine is not good and should be checked out. It's not hard to get the cover off the Case differential. Check the crown for any sideways movement with a pry bar as one of your first checks. Phil

Ford420

Occupation
Diesel Tech @ GMC/Volvo Truck dealer
Don't forget about the old Ford machines. Good size for a weekender... 4500 or 420 with 3cyl diesel will dig any hole a 580C will.

Phil

Occupation
Good point, I do have a fondness for the old Fords. The engine was built like a tank and they sound so nice. Phil

jim deere

I would stay away from a 1970 era machine personally. A 1985 or newer will cost little more and parts are more readily available. Go to JD parts and pretend you need a differential or a planetaty or whatever and you will see the availability is not that great and the prices are high on what is available. ther is not much dealer support for such an old machine so you might as well get a newer less abused easier to get parts for machine. otherwise you will be down more than up. You will put more time and $ than just buying a newer machine. If you work a 40 hr a week job you do not want to spend all your free time and cash fixin her up instead of using her.

seagull369

Hope you all don't mind me picking your brain again. Someone has a Case (I think) 580E 4X4 extended hoe for sale 'round here for $7500 obo. He says it's an "early 90's" era machine with ~7000 hrs.. Seems like a good price, but I haven't looked at it yet. Anything I should keep an eye out for when I check it out?

Out of curiosity, do these kind of machines come with titles or proof of ownership of any sort?

Last edited:

gadgets49

What a GREAT site!

Just joined; I just bought a 1977 IH 2500a; none of the electrical works; the fuel tank is a marine tank strapped to the roof, & it's rusted everywhere -

But - the gas engine runs well; the hydraulics seem to work & it runs on the road;

I was wondering where I was going to get info on this machine & now I think I know!

Rene

ala.millwright

Ive got a deere 310a not sure about year but do know its one of the later ones. parts for these machines are readily available however they are on the expensive side. one thing ive found out is from deere the hydraulic control valves are very pricey to replace but you can get the same valves brand new from other places alot cheaper. they are also easy to work on and troubleshoot although tech manual helps alot. ive always had good luck outa john deere equipment and all I want but everyone is different so good luck.

Phil

Occupation
Seagull,
Re the 580E 4x4 for $7500. Sounds like a good deal. I've heard of many south of the border. I think this machine is the best of the earlier models. Many E's and K's in the snow belt suffer from rusty cabs which can seriously devalue them. I think the K was worse for it. More moving parts on a 4 wheel drive but the resale value is much higher. No inherent weak spots on the E that I'm aware of. A few years ago this machine would fetch $18K here in Ontario if it were in very good condition. An E though, can get run down and neglected same as the others but a good machine to sink money in. If you have a bad door and cannot rebuild it, these can cost big $ to replace.

Most heavy equipment has no title and the only protection one really has, that I'm aware of, is to do a lien check at the land registry office, based on the owners full name and also the serial #.

Here is a pic of a friend's rough 580E. Phil

Attachments

• rough 580E.JPG
    rough 580E.JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 618
Last edited:

seagull369

Many thanks, Phil, for replying again. You're the best.

I ended up taking a chance and bought the thing. $7500 plus $250 to deliver it 20 miles away. Tho I tried acting like I knew what I was doing in front of this guy, I was pretty much at his mercy regarding what serious problems it has.

The cab (including the floor) on this one is actually in pretty good shape. That's actually a bit surprising since a lot of glass around it is missing. Concerning the door, the left side latch does have some sort of issue which prevents it from locking shut. Haven't really had a chance to take a look to see what's up there yet.

The 4wd apparently has some kinda problem also. I asked the seller to spin the front wheels for me under power, but he said something wasn't connected (or maybe busted, I dunno) so he couldn't. With the motor off and the 2 front wheels off the ground, I spun the right wheel by hand and noticed the other turn in the opposite direction, so I'm guessing that means the front diff. is at least OK.

Wish me luck getting this tug going. I've got a a grand total of ZERO hours experience running one of these (took me 15mins just figure out how to get the engine to crank!). I'm at home working on cars and light duty trucks, but I feel like I'm a 5 years old kid when I sit in this thing and try to get it to go. Might be a good idea investing in an owner's (as well as a service) manual, I imagine.

On that topic, are the ones selling the .pdf manuals on ebay and whatnot legit? A $10 manual on CD vs. the usual hundreds of $ for the printed one seems too good to be true.

Last edited:

grumpy_guy

Many thanks, Phil, for replying again. You're the best.

On that topic, are the ones selling the .pdf manuals on ebay and whatnot legit? A $10 manual on CD vs. the usual hundreds of $ for the printed one seems too good to be true.

seagull369 did anyone ever answer this question, in another post or pm? I sure would like to know how good those pdf's are for manuals on my 580C.

seagull369

Nope. No one ever did, grumpy, so I just took a chance and bought one. It all worked out, tho. Received it in just a few days.

If you're curious the seller I bought it from is named "atinels." I just checked ebay and he's got ones for 580 C's too. The manuals he sells are about $15 (incl. shipping), which seem to be a couple bucks more than some others but between his decent rating, manuals which are bookmarked (which is is actually a big help since these things are usually over 1000 pages), and having an ad that was actually legible made the choice a no brainer.

If you want, I could mail you out a copy of mine (at over 546MB it's probably a little big to email you), but so you know it only says it covers the SE model only. I'm sure there's probably enough similarity to make it worth you're while, tho. PM me your address if you're interested.

Good luck.

grumpy_guy

Thank you for the information and offer seagull369, just wanted feedback if anybody else found those e-bay manuals of any use. And which seller, I have ordered mine $20.00 is not bad for the potential savings of thousands.

Grumpy

Phil

Occupation
Good luck with the 580E and a 4x4 at that, for $7500, great. I haven't been following this thread. I would consider that machine a very good investment. Your operators manual will be a great help initially.

I've got the 580D manual on CD and it's okay, pictures aren't the best but certainly cheap enough. Phil

Pops15

Congrats on the 580E. Several of the guys doing residential work around here had them. They were/are good machines.

The 4500 and 555 Fords were good machines that still have good parts support. Not sure about the models in between.

Rebuilder

Sorry to Pop in on another thread, but we can't start a new thread because we just registered. Looking for a hydraulic pump for a Case D530. Do you have any suggestions? Your responses to others seem like you know all. LOL Thanks in advance for your help. This pump mounts on the front of the tractor.

ghitch75

Sorry to Pop in on another thread, but we can't start a new thread because we just registered. Looking for a hydraulic pump for a Case D530. Do you have any suggestions? Your responses to others seem like you know all. LOL Thanks in advance for your help. This pump mounts on the front of the tractor.

look on ebay.....i'v seen them on there...