• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Removing hydraulic cylinder for repair

epirbalex

Occupation
peasant
I'm unable to access one side of the pin.

View attachment 292424
You won't need to reach the inside , so long as there is enough room for the pin to be removed from the inside there is no problem . Lack of wear showing in the picture points to the pin being held by the lugs . That pin is a tiddler and will fair pop out once the lugs are heated . Don't heat the pin directly as thats needed solid so not to mushroom . While you are at it with all the tools consider doing the other rams . Lesson I had to learn when second lift ram seal failed 20 hours later . You are lucky you can manhandle the rams . Another issue I'm not too sure its a good idea to clean up the holes in the lugs before re- assembly , having pins chew out the lugs and replacing lugs is harder than driving a pin out DSCN1666.JPG

Apollo

I have to say, I don't feel like any of those. I believed that this would be the easiest and be the best result, but now you are making me rethink that.

Where can I find some info on rebuilding the cylinder? Will that take any special tools?

What makes this pin so hard to remove? Is it corrosion?
Just leave it pull out the chrome rod put a kit in her .I have one on backhoe came apart piston stuck at bottom how do ya get that out ?

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
Just leave it pull out the chrome rod put a kit in her .I have one on backhoe came apart piston stuck at bottom how do ya get that out ?
I typically use a shop hydraulic pump and pump oil into a cylinder pushing the piston out. Once free, drain and recapture the oil or bill it out as shop expense. If you are able to tilt the cylinder down use water as it will run out and dry before any rust starts.

epirbalex

Occupation
peasant
If the rod is out of the piston pumping oil or air won't help much as it will just go through the rod hole . You don't want the piston falling out of it , replace the cap less the rod , suspend the ram vertically using a pulley and rope , lower ram quickly to the floor striking the end of the ram against some solid wood . Remove your cap and with a large bolt poked in the rod hole catching through it ease it out the last bit .

Welder Dave

Could maybe take something like an O/A welding rod or a long piece of small round stock and bend a short 90 deg. on the end to fit in the hole where the rod is normally attached. Another thought is using a wooden dowel or something and putting a piece of rubber or foam on the end to push against the piston while also applying air in the cylinder port to carefully push the piston out. It shouldn't take too much pressure just to move the piston.

Mcrafty1

Occupation
Earth work
Times like this, or should I say posts like this causes me to ask myself why any manufacturer would purposely eliminate a few minutes of machining and a 15 cent grease fitting. They even makes grease guns today that don't require you to physically work the pump.

Vetech63

Times like this, or should I say posts like this causes me to ask myself why any manufacturer would purposely eliminate a few minutes of machining and a 15 cent grease fitting. They even makes grease guns today that don't require you to physically work the pump.
You have to engineer parts sales in the designs LOL

joe--h

Long ago & far away I asked a teacher at a automatic transmission class why they didn't put drain plugs in the torque convertor.

He said that it would cost $0.10 to do so, so they didn't. Those were 1976 dollars.

Joe H

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
On the upside - if you don't have a drain plug in the bottom of a housing, it can't fall out from vibration or from forgetting to tighten it!

Back in the bad ol' days when many vehicles had rear axle drain plugs in the bottom of the axle housing, it wasn't unusual for them to fall out on rough roads (corrugations/washboard), resulting in a full lubricant drain, followed shortly by a whining differential as it protested about the lack of lubricant!

My truckie neighbour ran a Cummins-powered KW running East-West, and is known to be a bit of a "rip, tear and bust" individual, with an accent on speed, rather than on accuracy and thoroughness!

He told me how one time, he did a rapid engine oil/filter change on the KW - his employee driver rolled up to do a trip to the East, and off he went.

Shortly afterwards, the truckie started having those horrible thoughts about whether he'd properly tightened the engine oil pan plug.
He managed to send through a message to one of the roadhouses along the way to get the employee driver to call him.

The driver got the message and called him, and he said to him, "Get underneath the engine, and make double sure I tightened that drain plug properly!"
The employee came back to him and said, "Yep, I checked it and it's tight! - all good!"

The next day, the driver called in and said, "You know that engine oil drain plug? I checked the one on the bottom of the oil pan, and didn't check the one on the side of the oil pan! It fell out and the engine is toast!!" :eek:

Welder Dave

My F150 doesn't have a dipstick for the transmission. A few years ago a salesmen where I worked got a new F150 and when he discovered it didn't have a dipstick for the trans. traded it for a GM. Nothing wrong with the truck otherwise but I think he figured he was going to have trans. problems if he couldn't check the level. I've never had a trans. problem on any vehicle and don't many who have either.