• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Rebuilding the 580B instrument gauges

Papa Goose

If you're having trouble with your gauges, here's a quick how-to on rebuilding the electronic instruments (i.e., fuel, ammeter, and H2O temp).

Probably the most common failure on the fuel and H2O is to lose a connection, of which there are three: 12V, signal, and ground. Yes, I konw there are only two connections on the back of each instrument - ground has to connect through the case, which can be the source of many problems.

To check the operation of the gauge on the bench, supply 12V, ground the case, and put about a 1K variable resistor (pot) from the signal input to ground. As you're looking at the back of the gauge, 12V is on the right and the sensor input is on the left. Turning the pot should give you full control over the position of the indicator needle. If the needle doesn't move, you'll probably have to open the case (more on this later). The the needle moves on the bench, but not in the tractor, check to make sure the case is being properly grounded - there is a spring tab on the U-bracket that holds the gauge in place (see picture #1 below), which needs to be shiny where it touches the case. If yours looks as bad as the one in the photo, you can bet it isn't grounding the case.

If grounding the case still doesn't fix the problem, check the wire coming from your sensor - it should read some finite resistance to ground, and the resistance should change as the input quantity changes (e.g., fuel level). If your wiring is OK, then you'll have to go after the sensor. Repairing the fuel level sensor is quite possible, but the engine temp sensor is probably not worth trying to fix - possible, but probably more work than it's worth. I can add some more info on this later if anyone is interested.

If none of these things fixes your problem, you'll have to go inside the gauge, which is not as hard as you might think, but it does take some patience and careful work.

First, leave the last two nuts on the two long screws coming out the back. You can't get it apart by taking these off, and you'll have loose parts inside if you do. You have to peel back the lip of the cover with a small screwdriver - see picture #2. This takes a long time and must be done very carefully - you want to peel it a little at a time without tearing the metal, since you're going to have to bend it back over when you reassemble the gauge.

Once the front cover is off, you can take off the glass and the inside panel that has the label on it. My inside panels were in bad shape, so I sandblasted them, painted them, and made new labels. Yes, it was a lot of work, but they look like new now!

Now you can remove the two nuts on the back, after which the insides will come free from the case. Look closely at the fiber washers, rubber seals, and cupped plastic washers as you remove them - they MUST go back in the same way they came out, or you may have a potential leak, or worse, an electrical short! You might want to make a sketch. Note that the rubber seals and plastic washers go one way - they're not reversible.

First, take a look at the wiring (see picture #3) - there should be two fine wires connected to the first terminal, and one to each of the other two. The one with two wires is the 12V input, the one in the middle is ground, and the one on the right is the sensor input. If your previous bench test didn't get the needle moving, you can connect directly to the solder tabs and try it again. If you're able to get the needle to move now, that's a very good sign - your problem is a bad connection, which we will address below. If the needle still doesn't move, you may have a bad coil, which likely means the end of your instrument. However, before you give up, check that the needle is able to move freely - if not, you can apply some very thin oil (clock oil is best, but 3in1 will probably work) to the pivot points. Don't disturb the tiny screw on the back, unless you have experience with clock mechanisms - it has to be adjusted properly or your gauge won't work - that's why it has paint on it.

If your needle moves when you connect directly to the solder tabs, the problem is either with the ground connection or the brass screws - we'll fix both. The ground connection goes through the brass plate on the back (between the brass screws), and it may look as bad as picture #4. Brasso is the best way to clean this up, but you can probably also use a scotchbrite pad. Also take a look at the inside of the case where this plate contacts it - it's probably just as bad. I sandblasted mine, but sandpaper or scotchbrite works too.

Next we'll take a look at where the long screws make connections internally to the coil wires through ring terminals. This is a major trouble spot, since the screws are likely to corrode and lose the connection with the ring terminal. Fortunately, the screws are brass, so they will take solder if you get them hot enough. Clean a small area with a sharp knife or dremel so the solder has good metal to bond with. Picture #5 shows the soldering process. Use rosin core electrical solder, not solid pipe solder, and NEVER use any kind of flux that you would use to sweat pipes! If you're having trouble getting the solder to flow, first make sure that the place you're soldering is perfectly clean, and then be patient - it takes quite a while to get the brass screw hot enough for the solder to flow. After the solder begins to bond with the screw, slide your soldering pencil over to the ring terminal, which is tinned copper and will take solder very easily. Make sure you have a good solid solder connection between the two - a little extra solder here is OK.

If you're still with me - Congratulations! You're about done with the repair and are ready for reassembly. Put the mechanism in the case first, noting the position and orientation of the fiber washer, rubber seal, and plastic washer. Put the fiber washers on first, then slide the instrument into the case, making sure that the fiber washers are seated in the middle of the holes in the case - they MUST insulate the screws from the metal case, or this is going to be a very short ride. Now, holding the instrument and the case at the same time, slide the rubber seals over the screws, add the plastic washers (cupped side toward the seals) and spin the nuts on. I can't over-emphasize that this must be done carefully - if you get something out of position, it's quite easy to have one or both screws shorted to the case.

After the mechanism is in place, check it one last time with your bench power supply and pot to be sure everything is working before you put the front cover back on - trust me, you don't want to have to take the cover off again! I used a very thin layer of RTV silicon on the rubber seals, just to make sure it doesn't leak (one of my gauges had water in it). Then, I carefully worked the metal rim of the front cover back over the lip of the case. There's probably a much better way to do this, short of using a rolling mill with the correct die (which is how they're made), but a small box end wrench works if you're patient. Make sure to hold the case and cover tightly together while you're rolling the edge, and check the face every once in a while to make sure everything is still lined up - if the cover rotates, it can shift the inside label plate.

Once the cover is completely rolled back over the case lip, you're done!

PG

Attachments

• IMG_4569.jpg
    IMG_4569.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 1,028
  • IMG_4570.jpg
    IMG_4570.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 1,041
  • IMG_4573.jpg
    IMG_4573.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 1,046
  • IMG_4568.jpg
    IMG_4568.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 1,061
  • IMG_4567.jpg
    IMG_4567.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 1,064
Last edited:

dpage02

24 volt

Grat information---Thanks You. My Case backhoe is 24 volt gauges. Is the test and repair the same?

dpage02

It is a 1979 Case 680G backhoe. Am having trouble with the fuel gauge. Don't know if it is the sender or the gauge. How do I test the sender? If I install a new gauge does it have to be calibrated with the sender?

Papa Goose

I'm not an expert on the 680, but it looks like the sending unit is the usual variable resistance to ground, so it's easy to test. Take the wire off the sender, then connect an ohmmeter to the (now empty) terminal on the sender. Connect the other side of the meter to a good ground on the tank. If the resistance is infinite, either the sender is bad or the meter isn't grounded - try another ground point as close to the sender as possible. If the resistance is finite, that's good, but not conclusive. Note the resistance (not sure what it's supposed to be on your machine - probably something under 1000 ohms) and then change the level of fuel in the tank. The resistance should track the level in the tank, either up or down.

If you think the sender is bad, it's easy to diagnose the problem once you get it out of the tank - it's just a simple potentiometer (a coil of resistor wire with a sliding contact), and it's all open. Check for a broken wire or bad connection.

If the sender checks out, reconnect the wire and run the exact same resistance check at the gauge - you should get the same numbers. If not, it's either the wire or the ground path. To figure out which one, check the resistances of first the wire, and then the resistance of the ground path between the gauge and the sending unit - if either one has more than a few ohms, there's your problem.

If you do have to replace the gauge, no, there is no need to calibrate.

Let me know what you find.

dpage02

Checked the sender. A digital VOM showed no change in resistance from terminal to ground (I guess that is infinite resistance). The tank is full.

Papa Goose

Check the VOM readout when the probes are not touching anything - that's infinite resistance (many meters flash the display). Then, just to make sure it's working, touch the probes together - you should get a couple of ohms or less. If you're getting infinite resistance from the sender to ground, that's your problem - the sender has a broken connection. Like I said earlier, pulling the sender is not hard (of course, drain the tank first) and the mechanism is not complicated. If you like, post a picture when you get it out and I should be able to step you though a checkout.

dpage02

These are the pictures of the sender. The internal wiring is no longer there. The pictures show the inside of the sender housing. I'm not sure what is supposed to be there. Is ther a way I can rebuid it to make it work? A new unit is $145 from Case.

Attachments

• Nov 2009 105.jpg
    Nov 2009 105.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 906
  • Nov 2009 107.jpg
    Nov 2009 107.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 906
  • Nov 2009 109.jpg
    Nov 2009 109.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 910

Papa Goose

Ah, OK, now we can see the problem - your sensor is completely disintegrated! I wish I could tell you that it's rebuildable, but unfortunately, there isn't anything left to rebuild.

Three suggestions: Have you tried aftermarket parts suppliers? Tractor Stuff is my favorite - they not only have great prices, but they're wonderfully nice people to work with. You can search by part number on their website, but if it doesn't show up, call them - some parts aren't in the database yet.

Second suggestion is to try to find a salvage unit that's working or rebuildable.

Third suggestion is to get one for another application (like a car). This is the third suggestion because it's going to be the hardest one. First, you'll need to find out the range of resistances that the Case system uses. To do this, you'll need a variable resistance (like a potentiometer) of maybe around 5k. Radio Shack has these for cheap if you don't happen to have one in your junk box. Connect the pot to ground on one of the outer terminals (there are 3) and then connect the line to your gauge on the middle terminal (leave one of the outer terminals open). Then, turn the pot to the middle and turn on the ignition (no need to have the tractor running). Turn the pot and watch the gauge. Get the gauge to read full, then turn off the ign, disconnect the pot and measure the resistance across the two terminals you've been using. Reconnect the pot, turn the ign back on, and turn the pot until the gauge reads empty. Turn off and disconnect the pot, then check the resistance again.

The higher of the two measurements is the "nominal" resistance of the sender, and you need to find one that matches. The best way to do that is to go to a good junk yard, where they have lots of parts sitting on the shelf and are willing to have you root through them with an ohm meter.

Once you find one that matches, the real fun begins - you've got to modify the new sender to fit in the old housing, and to swing from empty to full with the same stroke as your old sender. It's not as hard as it sounds, but that's why I saved this one for last - you may well feel like you did $145 worth of work before it's all over.

Of course, option #4 is a stick with lines on it ...

dpage02

Thanks for your help. I would have used the stick method but Case put so many bends in the fuel filler tube, I can not even get a syphon hose into the tank. Had to take the fuel pump line off to drain the tank.

Thanks for the alternatives.

Papa Goose

So, the rebuilding of the panel continues. I've got all the gauges working and mounted, and I'm getting the wiring sorted out. Just got the alternator alternating this morning. Previous owner had the great idea of jumpering the 75 ohm resistor to increase the alternator output, which of course fried the regulator. Found a new reg for $5 on eBay, so that's working again. I decided to add an "ALT" light, which isn't standard on the 580B, but can be easily added with a Delco-Remy alt just by putting a 12 volt bulb across the 75 ohm resistor. When the alt is not running but the key is on, the resistor is supplying current to the field coil, so it has about 10 volts across it (which lights the light). Once the alt begins to operate, the field voltage rises to 12 volts, which makes the voltage across the resistor close to zero, extinguishing the light. Actually, I had a panel mount LED in my junk box, which works fine if you use a resistor to drop the 10 volts down to something that won't fry the LED (500 ohms in my case). Nice to see that go out when the engine fires up and know that you're charging your battery!

Next thing I want to do is get my block heater going, but I'm embarrassed to have to admit that I can't find it. Actually, I'm not sure there is one - if there is, the cable is long gone. I'm looking at the parts diagram, which shows the heater, but not where it goes - can anyone help?