1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Rate per hour for excavator and loader

Discussion in 'General Industry Questions' started by swampdog, Jun 12, 2009.

1. swampdog

swampdog Senior Member

When working by the hour, what price should one charge for a mid-size excavator (270 size) and a 4 yard wheel loader? I've heard of rates for the excavator of about $175 an hour. I suspect that the rate for the loader would be less. What are you charging?

One fellow (who wants work done) is telling me that the excavator should not be worth more than $100 an hour. Considering the price of fuel and repairs, for that rate, I might just go fishing instead of working.

And is there a web site that lists the prevailing rate for equipment?

2. special tool

special tool Senior Member

$100 an hour is not enough for a 270.
    I get $150 for a 250.

You can get so much work done in 1 hour with these machines, yet it seems some people don't want to pay more than they would for a 60.:Banghead

3. rino1494

rino1494 Senior Member

You should charge whatever you have to make money. The wrong thing to be doing is asking someone else what they are charging.

4. METCO

METCO Member

self employed
    $145 270 Harrisburg,Pa area

5. stevec9696

stevec9696 Member

Bad answer

I disagree with the person saying "charge what will make you money..."
    When I started out, I did this - I thought. Then at the end of the year when I paid taxes, business licenses, insurance, repair, etc. I barely broke even.
    You need to ask for advice when starting out.

6. blowerman

blowerman Well-Known Member

I think what Rino means is, know your costs and then you can set an hourly rate. Advice is one thing, but hourly rates, insurance, costs moving machines (permits) vary from area to area, etc. etc. etc.
    Quad axle dump trucks in Milwaukee seem to be in the $70-85 range. Head up to northern WI and the rates drop to $60-70 range. So someone needs to explain why the same truck would get a lower rate 3 hrs. north? Wage?
    I'd recommend Asking for advice on how to figure out pricing, not just the hourly rates others charge.

7. Hendrik

Hendrik Senior Member

This seems to be a bit of a topic at the moment, probably due the financial crisis.
    However you can't operate a business without making a profit, sure there are going to be tough times but that is the same in just about every industry but working a machine at a loss is no good either because it is not sustainable in the long term.
    Basically you need to work out how much the business cost to run and then add a profit margin, this margin will vary depending on how the industry is going. Right now that profit margin is going to be low and when the economy is booming your profit margin is going to be higher to make up for the lean years.
    That's my advice, at least you know your breaking even point and go from there.
    You might find that you make a loss at 100/hr and there is no point in wearing out the machine to make someone else's profit.
    There are ways of cutting costs but running a machine you are limited because it is still going to burn the same amount of fuel and wear just as much. However you can try and negotiate a discount on fuel and other consumables, do a lot of the maintenance yourself (if so equipped), take a pay cut (even things like making your own lunch instead of buying it everyday, that alone could save a dollar an hour in cost). Basically you are trying to weather the storm until the sun shines again and those who survive the storm will be set to do well when things pick up.

8. Hendrik

Hendrik Senior Member

Cost of living/running a business. Things like taxes play a part.
    You'll find there are even differences in running costs within a city.

9. stevec9696

stevec9696 Member

Blowerman, good point - I agree "pricing" is the best advice.

10. rino1494

rino1494 Senior Member

You're right. In that case, I charge $75/hr for my 200. Go bid some work now. :drinkup

11. Turbo21835

Turbo21835 Senior Member

I think you should charge tree fitty :D

12. qball

qball Senior Member

local 150 operator
    tree fiddy? dat sho am a lotta money!
    you will never go broke turning down a poor paying job.
    never, ever undersell yourself.

13. swampdog

swampdog Senior Member

Thanks for your helpful :)and humorous :eek:replies.

The reason I asked is that I'm out of touch with the going rate for equipment. Twenty years ago I made my living digging holes and trenches for paying customers; I knew what the rates were (for this area) at that time. Now I mainly use my equipment for myself and don't take on much outside work.

There must be a "book" or list of the going rate for various pieces of equipment - at least for an area. Does anyone here know where to find something like this?

14. adr02

adr02 Active Member

http://www.roadbuilders.bc.ca/bluebook.php

Might give you a good idea, and its a "book":)

15. bejak corp.

bejak corp. New Member

anybody have an idea how much a linkbelt 330 lx with a thumb should be rated at per hour with an operator??? Thanks so much Im a new member

16. lgammon

lgammon Senior Member

man you guys are cheap we get 110 for our 312

17. GGDOZERINC

GGDOZERINC Active Member

yeah thats what I`m thinking too, I get $150 for a 200 and $125 for a 120 size hoe.