• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Radial tires

Canadian_digger

Just bought my first set of Michlin radial tires for my backhoe. Do you run the same psi as bias ply tires? Was running around 30psi before.

mrbb

I would suggest following what the tire spec's on the side wall tell you
and you can fine tune from there pending what your doing IF you like

clintm

Occupation
trucking,concrete recycling,grading, demolition
the best thing is to look at them. radials normally you want the sidewalls to bulge out a little but not to much and pay attention the tracks it leaves on the ground.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Radial tyres generally require slighlty higher inflation pressures than bias ply. Just be careful using the pressures on the sidewall. They are usually the maximum pressure to which the tyre can be safely inflated, not the recommended inflation pressure for a particular application.

What machine do you have and what size are the tyres..?

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Radial tires bulge out on the sidewall more than bias ply tires. Go by the pressure recommended on the sidewall.
Before doing that see my post #4 above and ensure that the pressure marked on the sidewall is the manufacturer's recommended inflation pressure and NOT the maximum permitted inflation pressure for the particular tyre. Because machine weights and tyre applications for the same size tyre can vary dramatically it's very unusual to find a recommended inflation pressure marked on the sidewall in my experience.

Last edited:

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Before doing that see my post #4 above and ensure that the pressure marked on the sidewall is the manufacturer's recommended inflation pressure and NOT the maximum permitted inflation pressure for the particular tyre. Because machine weights and tyre applications for the same size tyre can vary dramatically it's very unusual to find a recommended inflation pressure marked on the sidewall in my experience.

Seems I recall at least one tire that had the minimum inflation pressure on it or maybe it was in a spec. sheet some where. I have had good luck contacting both Michelin and Bridgestone directly to get their recomendations on pressure, at least for the more common applications.

mrbb

I have seen many tires that read MAX and MIN pressures on there side walls
liek I said in the earlier post, use the side wall info and work off that, unless loaded to the max, max pressure is never the best suggestion, star a little lower and go from there, ad in what your machine weights and what your doing with it and on WHAT type of ground your working on

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
One thing to remember is that with radials, if inflation PSI does not match weight, over inflation often results pushing the softer sidewalls out even more and making them look like they are under inflated. Poor wear patterns will result with over inflation as the tread will have less pressure in the center of the tread because it is trying to cup.

Jan Namibia

Have OEM Michelin tyres on a new 315 SK JD. Front recommended pressure in owner manual is 54psi/3.7 Bar - which sounds a lot to me. Size = 340/80-18 or 12.8/80-18. But maximum sidewall pressure states 35psi/250kPa/2.5 Bar (for both front and rear tyres) Which prsessure to use please? Thanks !!

franklin2

Never go over the max rated sidewall pressure in any application. If your owners manual is that much different than the actual tires installed on the tractor, then someone must have installed a lower rated tire on it with less plys. I would not put 54psi in a tire that had a max rating of 35psi on the sidewall.

Tinkerer

35 psi should give satisfactory performance. The only time I would increase it would be if a normally loaded front bucket caused the front tires to distort when turning. On concrete and asphalt surfaces the distortion can be quite severe if you are going very fast.

HandLogger

Occupation
Forest Land Management
I would never exceed the max pressure, which, as previously mentioned in this thread, is usually molded into the sidewall of your tires. The exact pressure, however, is going to depend greatly on how the machine is used. When we run our radials over extremely uneven roads, for example, we tend to lower the pressure accordingly. When we use the loader section to move dense grade road base, on the other hand, we tend to raise the pressure.