• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Quick connect for lights question? Deutsch plugs?

Speedpup

Occupation
President and all else that needs done!
I was looking for better lights on my Lull telehanders. I see they have led lights that are $150 each which is OK if I can pop them off so they are not stolen or vandalized. I could get the lights and pop them on what ever machine I am using if it is not a project. What would be a good quick connect plug? The light I am intereted in has a 2 pin Deutsch plug. Where can I get them and are they good for repeated use? I went to their web site and saw a ton of connnectors:confused:

Light I was interested in http://www.jwspeaker.com/catalog/forward_lighting/model_700_LED3.html

Thanks for any insight!:drinkup

Last edited:

RandyS

Deustch plugs and connectors are outstanding, but it can be difficult to find the connectors...plus they are a tad bit tricky to put on and pretty much require a special crimp tool. Because no one seems to ever deal with the connectors correctly, I normally use a 2 contact molded flat connector on these (similar to the flat 4 pin plug used on small trailers). I'll use a heat shrinkable butt connector to make the connections and I've had some underground for over 2 years with no problems yet.
Again, I really like the Deustch connectors and deal with them all the time...but unless you have all the proper pieces and tools available they can be a pain to repair.

Speedpup

Occupation
President and all else that needs done!
where can I find some simple 2 plug connectors? I have looked in trailer places and automotive places with no luck? Thanks Randy.:drinkup

guess I'm off to true value in the morning http://www.idealtruevalue.com/servlet/the-21870/Detail

Last time I was trying to find some to hook up a small solar panel to the Lull batteries. Thanks Randy I used your description for the search! Me :pointhead

Last edited:

ddigger

Occupation
contractor,owner operater
I would use the plugs that are used on the cannon down riggers as they are used in the elements and even salt spray all the time. Can be found at most boat shops or good outdoor type sporting goods stores. Or of couse online.

Cmark

I'd stick with Deutsch connectors. They are waterproof and you can dismantle and re-use the components if you like.

Your local cat dealer will have Deutsch connectors off the shelf. You buy the plastic housing assembly, and then get the brass terminals seperate. Part numbers are;

2 pin plug; 155-2270
Terminal; 126-1768

2 pin socket; 102-8802
Terminal; 126-1767

You don't need the genuine crimpers, they are big dollars. I got an aftermarket Deutsch crimper from my local auto electrical dealer. You can also get by with ordinary pliers if you're careful.