• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Question for the Field Mechanics

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
I do a lot of my own repairs to the vehicles and equipment without the luxury of a shop. During the winter months my air tools are useless due to freeze up. Do those of you who do this for a living have a solution for this? Do you price jobs differently during winter months because you can't use air tools? Curiosity got to me the other day.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Is the lubricant in the air tools freezing up or is it the water from your air compressor that's got into them and frozen them up..? If it's water in the air then I'd suggest eliminating that should be your first priority. Good water traps and lubricators work wonders, as does regular water draining. I haven't yet found an automatic water drain trap yet that works worth a damn after the first couple of weeks of use.

entasis

STEVE, been there………a day like today at 10 degrees, forget about it - is your compressor in a building or on a service truck? - I use rotary screw and vane compressors that have integral water separators which get a lot of it, the receiver next which gets a lot more, then air dryers that will give you virtually dry air - most reciprocating shop style compressors only are gonna have the receiver tank which will separate some water as it cools and expands, but the air leaving the tank will always have residual moisture in it and it will always freeze up in cold temps goin' thru the tool - some tools handle it, some don't, and some get ruin'd really easy - traps and passive drains will never get it all

anyway, if you're workin' off a truck I couldn't say, but if your compressor is inside you can add a refrigerated style air dryer (there are heated and regenerative types as well, more $) after the receiver and this would help a ton - a relatively small one matched to the scfm output of your compressor will do the trick

Hardline

Occupation
Small business owner
I live in North Texas. It usually gets to about 50-60* here during the day. The few days it does get cold I try to find inside work or make it a paperwork day. I could not own this company up North. I would go broke in the winter. Lol

td25c

I run both air and electric tools on the truck and at the shop.

I mostly use 110 volt electric tools on the truck. Fire up the welder & plug in the cord. Keep sawzall, grinder, impact, drill, etc on it. www.milwaukeetool.com/power-tools/corded/9070-20

The truck has air brakes on it with quick connect fittings at the back of the bed so I also keep some air tools in the tool box . When I set the truck up I ran out of room for a large gas drive compressor but with the electric tools I really don't miss it much.

FSERVICE

i use air, i have a screw comp on the truck. iv also got a very pricey air dryer on it when the truck was built, u have to be able to justify the cost of it( ie. do you use it enough to pay for it?) i also have the little filter/luber/regulator before the air hose reel. its been cold here to. ill usually put a little air brake antifreeze in the luber if its going to get used alot in a days time. sometimes things have to be fixed dont matter the weather or temps, im glad i did the big dryer when i ordered the truck best $$$$ i spent..

GregD1

Occupation
Equipment for a paving contractor
It`s a simple fix really, you just pack it all up and go west !!!!!! Left Ohio snow and cold in `87 and have no desire to return.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
I cant say much on the way of "winter" BUT .. if you leave the drain valve "cracked" on the tank it will drip the water out nicely..
I know this sounds foolish.. but ALOT of people don't even have a "convient" way of draining their system...
and some good "air tool" oil is a MUST.. Even in my HUMID climate.. and I have an air dryer..

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Air brake antifreeze (methanol) added to the tank vaporizes as the air goes out and depresses the freezing point of the water as it goes through the tool. It may or may not work for you and it might be a hassle to get it into the tank but it is one solution. You could try using a truck type alcohol evaporator.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
It's the moisture in the air that's freezing. I don't have anything fancy here, just a 5hp 2 cylinder compressor, bought it from Sears in '77. Damn, I must be old!

caterpillarmech

Occupation
Field Service Supervisor
We have such high humidity that my tools freeze up when it is cold enough. Watched my grinder build up a nice layer of ice until it stopped. Put it in the cab and let it warm up and did it again. Thankfully that is a rare situation for me.

Nelsonequip

Occupation
Heavy equipment parts & service
When I'm in the field in the cold I always try to create a wind break when I can, but always have a space heater for myself and also use this to help keep my tools free from freezing up it don't take much....I'm warm my air tools are a little warmer then I'm happy.......but I am much happier in my shop :laugh

kat09

Occupation
operating engineer 38yrs.(retired)2013
Midland-haldex makes an inline alky evaporator. Saw one on amazon! or you could get one from a truck parts store. You need to oil your tools more often as the methanol dries them out(twice a day should do it). Winter sucks but you gotta keep going.