• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Question about exhaust on new Cat 420F

06bowtie_guy

My buddy just got a new 420F. Few changes but nothing really big it seems. More emissions stuff so batteries are moved and it has an inter-cooler now.

Anyways he was asking me what this part was on the exhaust. It's located just off the turbo as you can see in the pic. I think it might be an exhaust valve, like something a truck has for braking. Maybe use it to create back pressure during cold weather operation to warm up quicker??

Thanks for any input and sorry for the crappy cell quality.

Attachments

• IMG-20121130-00110.jpg
    IMG-20121130-00110.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 841

Lee-online

It's amazing what the industry has had to do. These emission standards were implemented before the technology was invented to deal with it and the industry figured it out and met those standards. The EPA will now find another industry to go after, like the airlines or small engines.
What upsets me is the US, Canada and Europe have these very strict and costly standard while China, India and other countries don't.