• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Purchasing first TLB and need advice

BC Placer gold

My advise considering your location and population is to buy at least 2 older machines around 25 years old.
You might get 3 for €100k.
With 3 indentical machines,you’ll just about manage 100% availability and you can simply canibilise each one over the years until you end up with none.
2 or 3 loader backhoes would be a headache,but only one would be a nightmare
Yes, it is really handy to have a parts machine…your own personal ‘wrecking yard’ less down time as well. Often times you can pick up a parts machine pretty cheap; especially if one ‘major’ component is damaged.

Willie B

Caterpillar has a big fan base.

I have had good luck with my Case Dealer.

I can't say the best TBL, in your country it might be one I've never heard of.

If you want to discuss features I DO have opinions!

i have reached out to the CAT dealer in San Miguel (The Big Island), now I am just waiting for a callback from the sales rep to find out options. I am still searching for the Case dealer in the Azores.

for a point of reference, I am struggling to find a mechanic to sell and mount tires on my car. This island forces self-reliance, for better or worse. so, I am reluctant to buy anything used with pre-existing conditions. i don't have a barn or any type of enclosed space to work on a car or TLB. one of the first 'jobs' i plan do after purchasing a machine will be to dig some footers and install a covered area to park the machine and my truck under (we get intense wind and rain from September to May) , as well as a picnic spot in summer for my kids and as a shady spot to slaughter livestock and hang it in autumn.

I also had a jeep that I drove to the mechanics to replace a leaking head gasket and after buying 1000 euros of parts and waiting 6 months, he finally confessed he could not figure out why it would no longer start...so it went to the landfill.

I have about 15 jobs i need to do on my land, and I estimate that will take me about 2 years to get through those jobs assuming the machine doesn't break and I have 20 hours/week to work with it. After that, I will look for off farm work to recoup some of the upfront cost from a personal loan to pay off in 15 years.

It seems like Case and CAT are preferred over either Komatsu or JCB. is that correct? please tell me this isn't just a "USA made with pride" issue, as I realize most of the forum members are from the USA. I am in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean and have no allegiances beyond my family. I just need something that does what it is meant to do.

shipping here from the mainland ports is about 2000 euros. shipping from within the islands is about 500 euros.

MG84

If you are set on buying new, I’d go with who ever is the most willing/inexpensive to fly a service tech out to your location. Once the machine is there, it’s there. You may not physically be able to get it back to a dealer even if you wanted to. If at all possible stay away from any machine that needs DEF. That may not even be a thing in your area, but those are by far the most troublesome parts of the new electronic controlled diesels in my experience.

Willie B

I've owned five used backhoes in my time thus far. None have made an essential trip to a dealer. I'm a fair mechanic, as is my son. By a wide margin the machine most plagued by mysterious ailments have been the newest one. The newest one is a nightmare of electronic components. No one knows how to address them. I did take it to the dealer when I first bought it. It had numerous trouble codes, & wouldn't go into first gear. I brought it home from the dealer because they said it wasn't malfunctioning any longer. A year later, it failed again to go into first gear. A great deal of research & testing by me & my son, it proved to be a shift solenoid actuator.

I might seek a very skilled mechanic willing to come on island. All machines will eventually need a mechanic.

rumblecloud

Another Off-Topic:
As has been said already, I find this post extremely interesting. In all my years working for Ford worldwide - 30+ years on the digital end, I do not recall any internet encounters that have piqued my interest more than this one.
The Azores --- when you said you liked your privacy you certainly were not kidding around.

If you don't mind me asking, where are you in relation to the airport or more specifically where are you on the Island.

I'm a first time owner as well and these gentlemen know their stuff. You have come to the right place for help and advice.

Delmer

Cat and Case are a USA thing. There are plenty of each in Europe. JD is a better machine, but there are more cat and case here also. If you're buying from Europe, JCB is the biggest backhoe maker in the world, and I'd think Komatsu is fine too, but don't know anything about their newer machines and their emissions issues (or cat, case, JD, NH, for that matter). If you could get a new third world version out of Africa, that would be the best possible outcome. If you get EU subsidies, I don't think that's possible. It sounds like there is a shortage of competent mechanics, so the dealer determines everything unfortunately.

I wish I could agree that you won't need to repair anything for a while, I just don't know. And what do you do once the waranty expires?

Welder Dave

JD being better is debatable but they are more complicated. An older non electronic Case or Cat would be my preference. Case was the best selling backhoe for many years. I would see if a dealer(s) had a good used 20 or so year old machine. You could have them go through everything and fix any issues and replace suspect hoses. You hear of lots of issues with new machines. They may be under warranty but it could take weeks to get someone out to look at it and then even longer to get the parts and come back out to do the repairs. Even to get someone to come out to hook a lap top up to diagnose a problem could take a while. Save your money and buy a fully inspected and serviced used machine for less than half the cost of new. If you don't abuse it and properly maintain it, you should be golden.

Another Off-Topic:
As has been said already, I find this post extremely interesting. In all my years working for Ford worldwide - 30+ years on the digital end, I do not recall any internet encounters that have piqued my interest more than this one.
The Azores --- when you said you liked your privacy you certainly were not kidding around.

If you don't mind me asking, where are you in relation to the airport or more specifically where are you on the Island.

I'm a first time owner as well and these gentlemen know their stuff. You have come to the right place for help and advice.
To clarify, I live up in the mountains, about 100 meters above sea level and a few kilometers from the coast. We don't get salt spray here typically.
My village is Fazenda da Santa Cruz, if you look on google earth. Only a 30 minute drive to the airport, about an hour to drive to the port in Lages.
The government and construction companies are all near the ports at sea level, and full of rust.

rumblecloud

"... please tell me this isn't just a "USA made with pride" issue, as I realize most of the forum members are from the USA. I am in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean and have no allegiances beyond my family. I just need something that does what it is meant to do.shipping here from the mainland ports is about 2000 euros. shipping from within the islands is about 500 euros.
For the most part, I'm fairly certain the recommendations you are receiving are not based on country loyalties (brand loyalties maybe), but more likely on the best way to achieve your goals. I have to admit, I'm an unapologetically Ford Guy. :p

Oh...guess where my wife wants to go for holiday...:cool:

Azores are known to all the sailors, both the old days and modern sailors. It is a place to get water and fuel and kiss mother earth after a rough Atlantic passage.
That is how the Johnson clan got a foot hold on these slopes. My parents sailed in here on a 28 foot self designed and built wooden boat in the 1960s, without a motor on board.I came here in 1984 for the first time, before the EU happened and changed everything.

For the most part, I'm fairly certain the recommendations you are receiving are not based on country loyalties (brand loyalties maybe), but more likely on the best way to achieve your goals. I have to admit, I'm an unapologetically Ford Guy. :p

Oh...guess where my wife wants to go for holiday...:cool:
Maybe I can get a tutorial in exchange for some organic produce while you guys are here.